Why become a member? ×

am I cursed?? lol

Sarah5string

Bummer.... but for whattever reason, it wasn't working for the band as a whole... so you a re better off knowing now.

I must admit, I have been lucky in working with people that want to work...and have always put a gig into the mix very early on in the bend's life.

You should move on quickly and put yourself about. Go to these open mic/jam things and see if you can bond with like minded people and at least you'll likely meet more players. Take control and tell them you are putting a band together and ask would they be interested? I don't much like autocratic bands but in the early stages someone has to drive the thing along.

Unfortunately...talented arty people and the business end aren't alway good bedfellows...but if you ask/tell people what the plan is, then all they have to do is tell you they will or wont do it..

Get yourself about and see there are plenty of more fish in that sea... plus you can put some time into practising..as you'll need chops for those jams...

Keep doing the lessons and keep practising and before too long you will be better than the rest of the dross out there and will have no problem getting/keeping a gig.

Also, if you can read, you will be able to broaden your horizons and not just play Rock/Metal which, however great you think it is now, you will probably grow out of sooner or later :rolleyes:

As for the covers thing? Don't do it. Its crap. :)

It's just musicians.... all idiots and sociophobes.

I've certainly found playing in bands to be a character building experience with all manner of hassle and disapointment thrown at me. I've come to regard it as all part of the fun (in a twisted kind of way).

I don't think finding a covers band (even better an established one) can hurt at all. I've had great fun playing covers and you can actually make some money at it. I actually perversely enjoy having to learn 50 songs over a weekend too :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='803351' date='Apr 12 2010, 07:53 AM']It was a great excuse :rolleyes:[/quote]

MB1. :)
..."Its a sh*t Business!"...Les Mcqueen..Creme Brulee..

Im Sure you wont have long to wait before you get to use that amp!....a talented,attractive looking No Tail like yourself ...Edward,Edward!...Ask her if she'd like to meet David!:lol:

Edited by MB1

oh..and don't be insular... once you have met loads of people..network and retain numbers..just in case.
There are wasters as in any line, but some pople also have the best of intentions and can't carry them through...

Get visiable...get useful and you'll find a gig.. even if it is just helping out... it is all meat on the bone.

If you can make the effort, there are gigs out there....IME.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='803199' date='Apr 11 2010, 11:07 PM']I've been told that basically the only way they could save their [s]friendship[/s] red-hot, sex-fuelled 'love that dare not speak its name' relationship was to knock the band on the head...[/quote]
Fixed.

Tough one this, I have been in many bands over the last 20 years and the only stress free one was the first one as it was basically made up of school friends so the friendship was their before we played a note.

Its always hard to join an existing band, particularly if they are strong friends, if I were you I'd start my own band from scratch - advertise yourself and make sure your the boss from day one!

I used to play with a couple of the ex ABC guys (showing my age) and the stories they told of what went on in that band would fair make your hair curl!

Stick with it, be patient and you'll be fine!

+1 on being the boss....if you join a band thats ongoing, obviously be friendly and compromise, but dont compromise too much. If its a covers band (and I personally have rejoined the covers scene after 8 years of originals bands) then make sure you can fit into their rehearsal regime....and most importantly make sure you enjoy it!

Covers bands can be REALLY good if you get hold of some good musicians. My current drummer is a loud bugger, but he knows how to plays the drums very well indeed. The band have been playing as a covers band for years, and I feel very much like ive struck gold seen as though my first gigs with them are quite large.

Definitely have an originals band as well if you have the time. Writing your own lines from scratch is, as you probably know, really satisfying.

Good luck, and dont give up.

I advertised in a fairly professional manner and the responses were mainly a waste of time, but you WILL strike a good band eventually.

Im learning new styles all the time now. My fingerstyle is MUCH better now...Ive forced myself to play almost everything with my fingers and its worked. Only the really fast stuff in my punk band need a pick....helps it cut through as well.

Edited by Musicman20

finding a bunch of people with the same musical vision, and drive to do it, can be very difficult. Regardless of talent, any band that has 'made it' has had a lot of luck.

Partysounds, Musofinder and joinmyband, seem to be highly regarded for lookng for bands.

Late to the party Sarah, but was your band a 3-piece? If you were 4 or more, then how do the remaining members feel? Maybe you already have the nucleus for your band.

Incidentally, despite the temptation to agree with those who say "start your own band, be the boss", my limited experience suggests that lead guitarists and vocalists find it exceptionally difficult to recognise any leader other than that guy they keep looking at in the mirror ...

I wouldn't get too worried about being 'cursed' or anything, it's a well known fact that 99% of guitarists and drummers are ars*holes!

I spent 4 years in a folk-rock band and I lost count of people that came and went (mostly drummers) just keep plugging away and you'll get there eventually.

I suspect the same thing applies to covers bands as much as originals.