Why become a member? ×

Bravewood Relics

AndyTravis

Well impressed with this guys relics/repros.

And seeing how my next bass will have to be something really special, I wonder if anyone on here has experience of these basses?

Views/Thoughts etc...

[url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/vintagerepro.html"]http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/vintagerepro.html[/url]

Ta, Trav

[quote name='theosd' post='801542' date='Apr 10 2010, 08:09 AM'][url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/bluburstJtype.html"]I'm in love with blue again![/url][/quote]

That is to die for... what a stunner!

Just looked at the site... christ! I want them all!

Edited by bh2

I recently bought a Bravewood P-bass from Vintage Ben. I absolutely HATE relic'd basses, so the attraction of this one was that it is one of the very few un-relic'd Bravewoods.

In terms of looks, build quality, and playability it's as good as any other bass I've played. To put that in context, it's sitting in the rack next to me right now alongside a Goodfellow, a Shuker, a Wal, and a Lakland.

[quote name='Sibob' post='801699' date='Apr 10 2010, 12:17 PM']As far as I'm aware, he doesn't take commissions anymore?!

Si[/quote]

Yeah, i've just had a similar PM.
That's a shame, i may end up discussing my ideas with WesFinn; he seems to know what he's doing with bits of wood in a *ender style.

Many thanks guys.

Trav

In light of John at Bravewood not taking on any more commisions at the moment I feel honoured that he took on and built me this recently:

It's a stunning sounding bass. Obviously a nod to Dusty Hill with the lefty headstock but the specs are thus:
Badass 3 bridge (string through),
SD Custom Shop, Custom ordered 'Hot Stack for 51 P bass',
CTS Premium Vol & Tone controls,
Sprague orange drop cap,
Electro Socket jack socket,
Nickel Schaller straplocks,
34" scale,
Carbon fibre reinforcement,
43mm nut width.

I wanted the vintage looks but with modern refinements and a twist!

Cheers,
Jon.

Okay, here's some pics of my Bravewood basses.

First up - my beloved '56 style. This bass is rock solid, and sounds wonderful. Very woody and full. The neck is chunky and straight as a die. It's a real "plug in and play" instrument, with a fundamental tone that sits really well in a band mix.

The pickup features the extra earth wire just like the very early P-Basses. This wire connected to the pickup cover between the body and the cover.

And so to my early 60's style P-Bass.

I managed to get an original 1962/3 nitrocellulose tortoiseshell scratchplate from the States via Ebay for a crazy price. It looks great, but had a major problem in that it had been off the original bass for over 30 years just lying in a drawer.

Usually, these plates shrink over time, but the main shape is retained due to the instrument's scratchplate mounting screws and pickup routing. On mine, the plate had shrunk without restrictions. The upshot being that when John received the plate, it was a NIGHTMARE for him to get it sorted for fitting. the pickup routing hole had shrunk, so that had to be widened, and the plate had buckled and shrunk causing screw mounting alignment problems also. These issues were solved after a lot of sweat, swearing and shouting from John.

Originally, the bass had the covers and finger rest in place. I have since removed these for a more comfortable playing setup

I saw that headstock pull straight away - What a real shame; considering that 56 is my only object of desire at the moment.

Would he not build you another neck?

I think i'm going to hang fire on this for now, i may need to talk to bass direct about the used CS 55 they have...or be sensible and admit i already have too many!