Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions On Musicman Bongos

splat1969

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='790988' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:44 PM']I stopped watching when he started doing that scat vocal thing that ALL bassists simply HAVE to do when they solo these days. And yes he did look stupid but that was more the stupid vocal than the stupid bass.[/quote]
more fool you..

there's great playing after that scat stuff.. :)

Edited by phil.i.stein

I've had 3 Bongos (got a 5HH and used to own a 4HS and a 4HH). I find them very inspiring to play with a great range of (modern) tones but I still, and will always prefer my Stingray 5. It has a lovely growl and warmth to the sound,sadly lacking in the Bongo which sounds hi-fi by comparison. I do a fair bit of recording with my Bongo and its excellent for that, but the very few times I gigged one weren't exactly "plug in and play" if I'm honest.Boomy,overpowering,endless fiddling with pan and EQ - all just a bit too much really So it stays at home.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='790988' date='Mar 30 2010, 07:44 PM']I'm going to assume that you're right, because it would be pointless arguing with something you're already so convinced of regardless of how wrong you are.[/quote]

That'll be a first :)

I really like mine. Mind you, it's the only bass I have, so I've no real reference point.

As far as the looks go, it's very much a Marmite thing. Personally, I've always thought bass players weren't as shallow as guitarists, but this thread is not supportive of that thought....

[quote name='Doddy' post='791053' date='Mar 30 2010, 08:28 PM']That'll be a first :)[/quote]

Sorry if I upset you by not blindly accepting your "the design facilitates good technique blah blah" nonsense and instead making you look a bit daft.

I'll shut up and let you rabbit on in future, it's not like anyone was listening.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='791116' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:09 PM']Sorry if I upset you by not blindly accepting your "the design facilitates good technique blah blah" nonsense and instead making you look a bit daft.

I'll shut up and let you rabbit on in future, it's not like anyone was listening.[/quote]

:)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='791116' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:09 PM']Sorry if I upset you by not blindly accepting your "the design facilitates good technique blah blah" nonsense and instead making you look a bit daft.

I'll shut up and let you rabbit on in future, it's not like anyone was listening.[/quote]
Q. you just packed up smoking ?
A>yes>good man,carry on.i understand.
B>no>you're just miserable. i am too, but please try not to piss on everyones' parade.

It takes more than you arguing with me to make me feel daft.

There are ways to express one's opinion, personally I am new to this forum, I thought this was a friendly place, and for me at least, this place represented a breath of fresh air, being a british forum, it's a welcome departure from those american tw*ts you get on talk bass and every other post with british humour or bristish opinion which they "don't get" they take it as an offense.

Having said that, Mr. thisnameistaken, you take no prisoners in expressing your general loathes but by doing so you are alienating the freedom of choice and freedomw of speech that seem to otherwise reign peacefully in this forum. I will make it my goal to keep a wide berth, as I am fond of a healthy challenge not a distructive one. There was no need to belittle Duarte. I am not down with that one. He is my pal.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Yes, there are some very nice noises on these Bongo-based youtube clips, and I am fully prepared to believe folks who say that their Bongs sound brilliant and are lovely to play etc etc. I expect they are. But in terms of those looks? yuck. Sorry, just can't get on with them. I am a big fan of many unconventionally-shaped basses, Ritters et al, but the Bong's toilet-seat-esque profile is not something I could grow to like. It's not a case of being closed-minded or unimaginative or whatever, just personal taste.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='791181' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:44 PM']Are you sure?[/quote]

Ah, now didn't say that i couldn't and didn't.

I just wouldn't have minded a bit more room.

Anyhow, i have'nt got any intention of buying one again until my Fender Gas is resolved.

They are mega basses, designed by a BMW think tank, and no, not to everyones taste, but who cares what everyone else thinks, i know i don't.

Its an EB bass...therefore it will be uber powerful and very very well made.

I still think the shape is cool in an odd way....but thats good. Who gives a s*** if people think its odd...if you like the look, test one out :)

Clearly EB and BMW went out of their way to make a very unique bass....and they have!

Am I the only one that thinks they look better in a 5 or 6 than a 4?

I sold my 5. I can't remember why: all this has made me rather nostalgic.

They're great basses, with the afore-mentioned caveat that they'll get a chip on the headstock. I'm still waiting for the ad in the for sale section that says "for sale, bongo, unique, no chip on headstock".

Gone the way of the warrior...:

Edited by dougal

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='791168' date='Mar 30 2010, 08:32 PM']Er... :)

I was about to add, i think i'd go for a HS next time - the HH is pretty tight up around the neck for slappa da bass.

But, i don't think i want to be here anymore. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Could be wrong but I think the distance from the neck to the neck pickup on both the HS and HH is the same. Personally I find my HH a bit tricky to slap on but after a bit of practice it's cool.