Why become a member? ×

'Relicing' a Bass

merello

[quote name='paul h' post='800096' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:25 PM']I keep meaning to ask the shiny fans, what kind of jeans do you all wear? I assume you wear plain, dark denim ones. Or do you wear faded or distressed ones?[/quote]

I mostly just wear underpants. They are comprehensively distressed, however.

[quote name='merello' post='786243' date='Mar 25 2010, 08:53 PM']MIM Black Jazz with 2 wee scratches. Instead of buffing them out, should I buff them in and sand some of the rest of the slab?[/quote]
Don't bother mucking about with it - just buy the real thing! :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83704"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83704[/url]

[quote name='4 Strings' post='797720' date='Apr 6 2010, 04:25 PM']Relicing is to put lice back where they were, for example, in my barnet.

If a verb is to be made from the noun shouldn't it be relicking[/quote]

Yes. As in mimic and mimicking. I don't want lice in my bass

[quote name='paul h' post='800096' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:25 PM']Jeans!!!

I keep meaning to ask the shiny fans, what kind of jeans do you all wear? I assume you wear plain, dark denim ones. Or do you wear faded or distressed ones?

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, I`ve had these jeans on for 4 days now. :)

70`s Quo type jeans are the only way to go.....

[attachment=46784:imagesCAMQGWFW.jpg]

Jez

[quote name='paul h' post='800096' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:25 PM']Jeans!!!

I keep meaning to ask the shiny fans, what kind of jeans do you all wear? I assume you wear plain, dark denim ones. Or do you wear faded or distressed ones?

:)[/quote]

Good thought, funnily enough I never buy pre-faded jeans, if I can help it as it seems so fake and some look, frankly, ridiculous with a pale stripe down the front and back of the legs. Trouble is, its getting harder and harder to buy 'normal' jeans.

Following this through, do you think the time will come when buying a 'normal', shiny, new looking bass will be difficult among a plethora of increasingly less convincing, so-called relics?

Greg

No, I don't think it will go that far. I think there will always be call for shiny new things.

The point is that the whole relic issue is not really a big deal, although some people do seem to get a bit heated about it. And it's not exclusive to basses and guitars either. I like beaten up jeans and if I was in the minority then the shops wouldn't be full of them. Of course the same issues apply to all...if it's done well it looks good, if not, not!

I just think if that somebody is giving us relic fans a hard time while wearing a pair of distressed jeans, they need to think twice!

:)

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='800639' date='Apr 9 2010, 10:30 AM']No, I don't think it will go that far. I think there will always be call for shiny new things.

The point is that the whole relic issue is not really a big deal, although some people do seem to get a bit heated about it. And it's not exclusive to basses and guitars either. I like beaten up jeans and if I was in the minority then the shops wouldn't be full of them.

I just think if that somebody is giving us relic fans a hard time while wearing a pair of distressed jeans, they need to think twice!

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Nice analogy, Paul. You've definitely thought that one through! :)

If you want a more authentic distressed look then find an old sweat shirt and glue pieces of coarse abrasive paper to every part that might contact the instrument.

Then play.

You might have to add the odd ding as well, but the coarse scratches will polish out with natural wear.

On a quite different note, a friend has recently acquired a Giffin custom guitar from the 80s that appears to have received the full relic treatment, despite a poly body. I've seen and played it, and it's dinged to hell and back, crazed all across the front, frets worn into notches. He wanted it refinished to look decent, and it's taking persuasion from all sorts of people, including the original maker, for him not to do it.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='801009' date='Apr 9 2010, 04:24 PM']I'm liking this jeans analogy.

Now, I wear my jeans around my arse... so, how does this work now? :)[/quote]

Equivalent to a really long strap.

Now how you can play properly with one of those is another thread. Or should be.

Goodness, I'm feeling a right nark with all this, all I want to do is play bass!

[quote name='discreet' post='790337' date='Mar 30 2010, 10:18 AM']Gaaahh! I use a pick!* Surely that doesn't mean...

Agree about the 4x10/1x15 thing, though!

*In the late 70s this was called a 'pleccie'.[/quote]

so what's with the 4x10/1x15 thing - ? what are the objections?

[quote name='Jigster' post='804208' date='Apr 12 2010, 09:29 PM']so what's with the 4x10/1x15 thing - ? what are the objections?[/quote]
In part,my initial reference was to some flame wars that erupted here a couple of years ago. One camp had it that one should not mix driver sizes at any cost. Another camp said you could and it was all tosh and bunkum.

Then they all argued about stuff like stacking multiples of 2x10 cabs vertically in a sort of 'Leaning Tower of rig' arrangement. For a long time.

And then it all went deathly quiet.

IIRC, the objections were that the different drivers would produce different shaped sound patterns that would distort each other, or something, and it would sound bad. Personally, I wasn't convinced either way, but it was fun to watch while it lasted. Have a trawl back through Amps and cabs in 2008 and see what you find. It's a hoot.

Edited by skankdelvar

This whole debate reminds me of my vw days when i had a splitty,and on the various forums there was always a difference of opinion on new resprayed or just well looked after beetles and buses and the old beat up rat look ones . some people would take a nice shinny paint job and rub the hell out of it to make it look 30 years old! :)