Why become a member? ×

I am a newbie bassist, and I come from down your way...

[quote name='Bassassin' post='781243' date='Mar 20 2010, 11:12 PM']Peaches - The Stranglers. Arguably I bought a bass specifically to learn to play Peaches - I had no idea how to tune a bass at the time, so when a more knowledgeable friend showed me what I was doing wrong, I had to re-learn the song... :)

I then went on to learn the entire Rattus Norvegicus album, so that was OK.

Jon.[/quote]

Yep, Peaches for me too.

JJ was a huge influence on a lot of bassists of a certain age, and Peaches must have been their easiest song. I'd be surprised if it wasn't the choice of a few more people on here too.

[quote name='Clarky' post='781402' date='Mar 21 2010, 09:39 AM']Can't remember for definite but in my schoolboy band (back in 1980) I played covers of 'Crocodile' by Echo & The Bunnymen, 'Ceremony' by New Order and 'Damaged Goods' by Gang of Four, so it was probably one of those[/quote]

Man, I can't get used to the idea that 1980 was 30 years ago! All that stuff sounds pretty fresh to me, but I suppose it's the equivalent of my dad trying to make me listen to the Andrews Sisters. Doesn't feel that way, but that's how it is!

[quote name='Delberthot' post='780726' date='Mar 20 2010, 12:56 PM']an all time classic when I first picked up the bass at age 12 - Another One Bites the Dust by Queen[/quote]

Same here! I must have been around the same age as well! - I had to know it all! - and then there was the Wembley 1986 version!

i made a list on a post it stuck it to the pc desk

specials - gangsters

iron maiden - evil that men do

ratm - take the power back

after playing guitar for years i thought, aim high
played along with youtube videos of bass players
covering the tunes and slowly picked it up having
a visual reference and a mate that plays bass quickend
things up bigtime, learned to slap, gallop and get good timing
with that little set. good times :) :rolleyes: :lol:

er ............. never really learned anything! There was a time when I could fumble through most of PF's Money but to be honest I've never actually learned anything properly. The stuff I like to play I pretty much make up my own bass parts* as I've never had the patience for tabs. Really should have a go I suppose just incase the opportunity to play with someone else actually turns up!

[i]*[not sayin that they are any good here!][/i]

"Sunshine of your love" Cream
and "Dazed and confused" Zep
both on one heady summer afternoon when I was but 15 summers old.
my FIRST jam session with a real guitar player real drummer and real (loud) amps ....God Ill never forget it, that first Buzz" was the best one....aahhhh!! :)