Why become a member? ×

Vox standard bass

Mog

I own one, and have had it since new. They were made in japan in the 80's and in my humble opinion are nice sounding basses. The one I have has is very player friendly and has got great useable tones. They were fitted with di marzios (p-type).
The only thing is it probably won't be your cup of tea if like lots of bottom end. But great for jazz type back pup tones and also a good slap bass. They were £150 ish brand new..a real bargain.
Hope that helps

I've got one of those!

Was my first bass & is now in pieces & finished in a flat metallic purple!

I'm planning on defretting it & putting all new hardware & electrics on it.

Does weigh more than your average 8x10 tho.

• 2 years later...

Classic bass though. Difficult to destroy and great sounding - also a real bass for the price range at the time. I was a music shop nightmare at the time these were sold in the early eighties and wouldn't part with the £169.99 they wanted until I had tried everything else in every shop that would let me try anything. In that price range I thought it was the best looking and best sounding so I bought one and never regretted it - kept it until stolen. Bidding for one on eBay at the moment. ahhh - memories...

[quote name='JensWest' timestamp='1332688566' post='1591632']
I got one of these as my first bass. Straight neck and a really low action's possible!
Weighs a ton though. :)
I have the same knobs on mine and they have, as far as I know, not been changed.
[/quote] That's what I thought. If memory serves me right the knobs look original.

Got my one delivered tod[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay courtesy of eB[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]better th[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]an I remembered [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- cert[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ainly [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]not [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]as he[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]avy (my Stingr[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay seems to weigh more [/font][/color]and less comfortable[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]) [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]specs:[/font][/color]

VOX Standard Bass Black - 3504
Japanese (Aria) made
Black polyester finish
34 inch scale length
Full specification DiMarzio P Bass humbucking pickup
Series/Parallel switch
Body, neck, and fingerboard constructed of hard rock maple

Great fun, 30 years old and not usual JapCrap in my opinion. Cheers

I had one of those for my first bass! And loved it. Served me well in my first 2 years of gigging - sold it for £100 IIRC.

The knobs look like the original ones to me - I always thought they reminded me of Gibson Black Speed type knobs:

[quote name='David Copper' timestamp='1332957975' post='1595571']
Japanese (Aria) made
Black polyester finish
34 inch scale length
Series/Parallel switch
Body, neck, and fingerboard constructed of hard concrete maple

[/quote]

Here's what's left of mine...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/7026417041/][/url]

I'm still considering putting it back together as I have most of the parts off it in a box (machine heads, electrics, pick ups, nut, neck plate, etc) or I might just make it into an ornament (probably for the shed).

As you can see, I've tried defretting it but it's not very smooth. Filled the lines with jointing compound! :yarr:
The screws that held the P/Us in snapped & left a little in the body.

[quote name='David Copper' timestamp='1332957975' post='1595571']
Got my one delivered tod[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay courtesy of eB[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]and [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]better th[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]an I remembered [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]- cert[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ainly [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]not [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]as he[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]avy (my Stingr[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ay seems to weigh more [/font][/color]and less comfortable[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]) [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]specs:[/font][/color]

Japanese (Aria) made
Black polyester finish
34 inch scale length
Series/Parallel switch
Body, neck, and fingerboard constructed of hard rock maple

[/quote]
[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1332958393' post='1595575']
I have one that is now quite genuinely buried in North Watford Cemetery. Long story but it was a musician who died.

In terms of the bass; A lot of bang for your buck I recall, but the body was heavy as hell
[/quote]
[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1332959114' post='1595591']
I had one of those for my first bass! And loved it. Served me well in my first 2 years of gigging - sold it for £100 IIRC.

The knobs look like the original ones to me - I always thought they reminded me of Gibson Black Speed type knobs:

[/quote]
[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1333019996' post='1596216']
Here's what's left of mine...

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/7026417041/"][/url]

I'm still considering putting it back together as I have most of the parts off it in a box (machine heads, electrics, pick ups, nut, neck plate, etc) or I might just make it into an ornament (probably for the shed).

As you can see, I've tried defretting it but it's not very smooth. Filled the lines with jointing compound! :yarr:
The screws that held the P/Us in snapped & left a little in the body.
[/quote]

Ah! Blast from the past.......
Cheers guys, looks like it was a good guess with the knob selection eh?
They really are a great bass. Goes to show what you can get for a few quid.

I've got one, and I wouldn't part with it. Pups are a bit underpowered, it weighs a ton, and mine has been half stripped. The nuts seem to wear badly, as well. But it's a great piece of kit.

Mine has one black-transparent knob, like Thor's post, and one cream hat-type. The cream hat-type matches the pup colour, so I figured that was probably the original.

• 4 years later...

Works really well defretted too!

I re-sculpted the head to the same shape but smaller in a 3+1 configuration as I really struggled to reach the G tuner.
With the 24 frets it came up longer than most regular 4-string basses. They are heavy though and butcher-block body construction.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1460032802' post='3021931']
Works really well defretted too!

I re-sculpted the head to the same shape but smaller in a 3+1 configuration as I really struggled to reach the G tuner.
With the 24 frets it came up longer than most regular 4-string basses. They are heavy though and butcher-block body construction.
[/quote]

I am looking for a neck to defret. I suspect I'll wind up putting a defretted Fender-style neck with a bogus headstock on it, though it might well not happen till next year.

[quote name='2elliot' timestamp='1460194699' post='3023393']
We put a gig on last night at the Green Room in Stockton, the first band up hand one of those basses.It sounded great, looked pretty cool too. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for one now...
[/quote]

Dammit, more competition... :D

Edit: When I've seen them on eBay they tend to be near you anyway. Good luck!

Edited by alyctes