Why become a member? ×

What is this ????

Dusty

Went into town this morning and looked inside my local 'Crack Converters' as you do in the hope of picking up a bargin when I saw a guitar advertised as a Fender Precision Bass. Well you could have fooled me (and maybe they have!) Have never seen a Precision like this.

It's sort of a early tele bass shape (the first precisions) with Pres & Jazz pick ups. Tele Bass style scratch plate and controls, a Jazz feel neck 1.5" at the nut. The headstock looks total wrong to me (to narrow between the 3rd & 4th tuner (schallers) There is a ser no on the the back of the headstock MN407083

So what is it ?? Has my local Crack Converters been done or do I not know my Fenders (possible) lol

[quote name='yorick' post='767826' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:36 PM']Definitely a Fender.

Quick edit. It's a Mexican model.[/quote]

Apparently a 'Cowpoke'! Mexico 1994/5 according to the SN

[url="http://www.bovinehost.com/currentbasses/cowpokeP.html"]http://www.bovinehost.com/currentbasses/cowpokeP.html[/url]

[quote name='Dusty' post='768073' date='Mar 8 2010, 03:13 PM']Well I never !!! Think I better stick to my Laklands !! lol
Did feel nice tho, must be the Jazz neck :-)

On offer at £399

Is that about right or pricey for a Mex ??[/quote]

Bit on the high side IMO.

• 3 months later...

Cant believe it.... went past tthe same crack converters today and the beast was still there..... so made them a offer !!! after a bit more haggling.. got them to throw in a hardcase they had in there and walked out of the shop with it for under £300. Plays really well and feels right... if you know what I mean. Will make a great 'Pub' bass :)

[quote name='Dusty' post='878242' date='Jun 26 2010, 04:20 PM']Cant believe it.... went past tthe same crack converters today and the beast was still there..... so made them a offer !!! after a bit more haggling.. got them to throw in a hardcase they had in there and walked out of the shop with it for under £300. Plays really well and feels right... if you know what I mean. Will make a great 'Pub' bass :)[/quote]

Do cash converters expect you to haggle with them? I’ve occasionally seen a decent bass or two but it never occurred to me to haggle. Is there a percentage you can reasonably expect to be knocked off?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='879277' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:00 PM']Which bass mate?[/quote]

The one in the pics at the top of the page.
Thanks to a link that was provided, also found out it's active as well or else I would never had known !

[quote name='mrjim' post='878819' date='Jun 27 2010, 01:45 PM']Do cash converters expect you to haggle with them? I’ve occasionally seen a decent bass or two but it never occurred to me to haggle. Is there a percentage you can reasonably expect to be knocked off?[/quote]

It was a gamble !!!

I knew it had been in the shop for a while and they need to turn stock around.
It was marked up when I first saw it at £399, when I saw it on Saturday is was up for £325.
I just thought I'd make a cheeky offer of £290, the guy went to check with his boss and said
they would take £295 !!
I ummm'd and arrrd for a bit and said I'd think about it..... then he said he throw in a hardcase
(as new) that another bass was sitting in. It was to good an offer to walk away from :)

[quote name='Dusty' post='879450' date='Jun 28 2010, 05:18 AM']It was a gamble !!!

I knew it had been in the shop for a while and they need to turn stock around.
It was marked up when I first saw it at £399, when I saw it on Saturday is was up for £325.
I just thought I'd make a cheeky offer of £290, the guy went to check with his boss and said
they would take £295 !!
I ummm'd and arrrd for a bit and said I'd think about it..... then he said he throw in a hardcase
(as new) that another bass was sitting in. It was to good an offer to walk away from :lol:[/quote]

I've got one of these - almost identical - different pups.
[attachment=53147:C.jpg]
[attachment=53149:E.jpg]
[attachment=53148:D.jpg]

Nearly sold it but chose to hang onto it after fitting a new battery.
The old one worked OK but what a difference a new one made! :)
I assume yours is active - it doesn't have the Urge details on the head.

32", light as a feather and very fast to play.

Sure you will enjoy it. :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Used it for the first time in anger last night and was really pleased with it ! Found it to be a bit 'growly' bit like a Warwick, but really comfortable to play. Didn't realise it's a 32" scale !
This looks liek a 'keeper' until something else takes my eye !! lol