Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='602972' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:39 PM']Ok, i was going to add a PM would be ok. Ill not pass it on.

Just for future refernce. No problem if you dont feel comfortable with doing it.[/quote]

Oh I feel perfectly comfortable passing it on to anyone likely to get a wedding gig in South Gloucestershire.
I am sure that with the right event manager on duty it would have been fine. Other than him the staff were all nice (even the DJ) and the venue was delightful..
The food ran out, though, so maybe our man was aware that he'd not provided enough when he asked us to wait ..... :)

Oh and another thing - we do the B&G first dance at our gigs. We use it to get the crowd onto the floor for our first dance right after and to break down the natural reticence of the unknowing to barn dancing. It works well.
Apparently Mr Pratt always has the "official" first dance just before the break for the food. So we had the stupid situation where the B&G were dancing to us but then came back for their "official" first dance to the DJ at the end of our first set ..

Chaotic.

He's obviously not used to dealing with professionals....

Ok, ill keep that area in mind. Thanks.
Ive never heard of the first dance being at the end of the first set but i guess it does go on. We've had one or two where the Bride or Groom cant find the other half and have asked us to start playing and do thier dance once they hook up with each other but its been vary rare.

My band Plan C played a short set at Leigh Regatta today.
I just had to take bass and lead and used a nice big Ashdown ABM rig curtesy of a fine bass chap from Malachi the first band on.
First gig with our new keyboard player Simon. Went really well. It was lovely sunny day, nice people and top seafood stalls;lovely cockles.
The kids came along too.

What's not to like?

Played the 12 Bar in Denmark St (aka Tin Pan Alley) tonight. Cracking set, even though I do say so myself, and the relatively modest crowd (inevitable given the tiny venue) were really appreciative. Had a new experience - the guitar cut out at the very start of one song and, rather than stopping and sorting out the problem, our singer/guitarist just carried on singing ... so it was just bass and drums backing for the whole song. Thankfully I didn't miss a beat. Who needs guitarists?!!!!! Well actually we do but it was still quite fun for one song

[quote name='Clarky' post='603235' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:07 AM']Played the 12 Bar in Denmark St (aka Tin Pan Alley) tonight. Cracking set, even though I do say so myself, and the relatively modest crowd (inevitable given the tiny venue) were really appreciative. Had a new experience - the guitar cut out at the very start of one song and, rather than stopping and sorting out the problem, our singer/guitarist just carried on singing ... so it was just bass and drums backing for the whole song. Thankfully I didn't miss a beat. Who needs guitarists?!!!!! Well actually we do but it was still quite fun for one song[/quote]

Damn. Seeing as mine was cocked up we went for a drink in the west end. I didnt realise you were up that way or else i would have popped in.

I love it when the guitars cut out. I means we get to shine for a few mins and also look like real pros by keeping it all going.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='603240' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:17 AM']Damn. Seeing as mine was cocked up we went for a drink in the west end. I didnt realise you were up that way or else i would have popped in.[/quote]
I was playing my Oly White US P-bass, Dave - you might have had some Precision pangs if you saw it, especially with that Lakland interloper!

[quote name='Clarky' post='603244' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:19 AM']I was playing my Oly White US P-bass, Dave - you might have had some Precision pangs if you saw it, especially with that Lakland interloper![/quote]

Nah. Only if i had my eyes shut. Im really into my Black sparkle these days. And that includes the finish on my DJ5 ;-)

This time next month it will have the Nordy in it and then its goodbye to the P5.

[quote name='deaver' post='603258' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:34 AM']That's tickled me that has. Not enough that I start using smileys but it's tickled me nevertheless. Clarky your a star.[/quote]
I had an epiphany moment after speaking to Beedster. Despite BC-induced GAS for all sorts of exotica (Sadowsky etc) I realised that the nicest playing bass I had ever owned (my Shuker apart, and I worry about bringing that to skankier venues) was your (my old) US Oly White Fender Precision.

So I went and bought another ... and a 3TS 2009 US Jazz.

Apart from possibly a 5'er, these basses cover my every need and give me that indefinable feelgood factor too

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='602984' date='Sep 19 2009, 03:58 PM']Ok, ill keep that area in mind. Thanks.
Ive never heard of the first dance being at the end of the first set but i guess it does go on. We've had one or two where the Bride or Groom cant find the other half and have asked us to start playing and do thier dance once they hook up with each other but its been vary rare.[/quote]

The DJ told us that is what they always do at this venue when he does weddings for them.. I suspect it's to get all of the guests in to one place so they can then do the cake cut and buffet with everyone there.

Excellent gig last night. First gig since July and one of our singers couldn't make it so I was expecting us to be pretty ropey but as it turned out it was one of the best we've played. The place was full, the audience was enthusiastic, the landlord wants us back there before Christmas. We had two sets of potential clients for functions next year come along and they both loved us so all in all a good night.

Friday was our first proper gig in two months (ignoring Pebbles which was a 1/2 hour set and me so damn hyped on adrenalin it went in a blur where I can barely even remember what I played). Not a bad night but I found it hard work, particularly the first set.

My Line6 pedal board wouldn't work - but did Saturday morning off the guitar kidney POD so it looks like it's the output from the BOD that's fritzed itself :) That'll have to be going back to be fixed. Typical when I have a run of gigs coming up in the next two weeks. The BOD seems to be OK but I ended up not using it, just the MB rig and once I'd pulled everything apart and rewired it I only had 5 minutes before we started.

My next problem is keeping the MB rig quiet enough. Got a plaintive "I've not got any bass in the PA and no control, any chance you could turn down chap" in the break and that was with IN & Out on 9 o'clock or less and EQ's flat at 12 o'clock, so nowhere to go really. The only option left was roll the EQ's back to around 9 o'clock as well. Perhaps that's a gig I need to take the GRAMMA pad to to decouple the rig from the "stage".

Shouldn't have that problem at the first one next week but we shall see.........

Bit of a stinker last night to be honest.

Played in a pube (spelling mistake I wont bother correcting) we have been in quite a few times before but much, much quieter this time. We are quite cheep as it is and this twat keeps trying to knock £30 off our price. That added to the fact that for the last three songs we were playing to 5 people (not including the guitards mum and dad who come to most gigs) and theres only 4 in the band.

Will see out the 2 remaining gigs there then call it a day. They were good to us when we were just starting out but are starting to take the piss a bit :)

[quote name='The_D' post='603387' date='Sep 20 2009, 10:13 AM']Bit of a stinker last night to be honest.

Played in a pube (spelling mistake I wont bother correcting) we have been in quite a few times before but much, much quieter this time. We are quite cheep as it is and this twat keeps trying to knock £30 off our price. That added to the fact that for the last three songs we were playing to 5 people (not including the guitards mum and dad who come to most gigs) and theres only 4 in the band.

Will see out the 2 remaining gigs there then call it a day. They were good to us when we were just starting out but are starting to take the piss a bit :)[/quote]

Er, I hate to start this OT discussion off again but how come you don't take an audience with you? Do you do any marketing? Do you tell anyone you are plying this place or is it all down to the pube? Are you building things up? Perhaps if you did you could charge more - or at least avoid getting your fees cut...

[quote name='OldGit' post='603478' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:12 PM']Er, I hate to start this OT discussion off again but how come you don't take an audience with you? Do you do any marketing? Do you tell anyone you are plying this place or is it all down to the pube? Are you building things up? Perhaps if you did you could charge more - or at least avoid getting your fees cut...[/quote]

Normally its quite busy but thats no excuse I agree. Very few of my mates/aquaintances will travel out there to watch something they can see locally for half (at least) the taxi fair.

Normally its really quite busy so he has had no justification in the past for tryting to stiff us for our fee.

TBH its just one of those pubs that is seeming less and less worth the effort that goes into playing the gig.

We could advertise out of our face but its still a bit of a dreary area so would prob be the same 6-10- folks turning up. Even if we got a good turn out the run ins with the manager have kinda soured the whole band to the point that a really busy gig isnt enough to save it/us.

I dont think its somewhere we would miss but felt like a wee half moan last night.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='603493' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:22 PM']Played a 50th birthday party last night & It was really good. In a farm steading in the middle of nowhere (Fife).
We play all originals & the birthday boy had been to one of our gigs & liked what we did so his wife booked us.[/quote]

Where about in Fife? You prob stole half our usual twats from Pubes :)

[quote name='The_D' post='603495' date='Sep 20 2009, 12:24 PM']Normally its quite busy but thats no excuse I agree. Very few of my mates/aquaintances will travel out there to watch something they can see locally for half (at least) the taxi fair.

Normally its really quite busy so he has had no justification in the past for tryting to stiff us for our fee.

TBH its just one of those pubs that is seeming less and less worth the effort that goes into playing the gig.

We could advertise out of our face but its still a bit of a dreary area so would prob be the same 6-10- folks turning up. Even if we got a good turn out the run ins with the manager have kinda soured the whole band to the point that a really busy gig isnt enough to save it/us.

I dont think its somewhere we would miss but felt like a wee half moan last night.[/quote]

Ah, Not the normal "it's everyone's fault but ours" whingeing then :)
Sounds like one to loose ..

Played Ivybridge RFC last night, as well as Tavisrock 'n' Blues Fest in the afternoon. Left home 11am, finished back at home at half one...phew! I did have time to nip back for some food and a shower, but that was it.
All good stuff, although I have to clean some cider out of my bits box today!
The Fest was a charity do for Help for Heroes, and when the RFC guys found out later, they did an instant whip-round and presented me with a pint glass full of wonga, £97.84 to be exact.

A good day!

First gig with my covers band.

Played a Arnold Hill School's 50th anniversary celebrations as most of the band (not me) are ex-pupils. Some of the organisation left a bit to be desired - we didn't find out until a couple of days before the gig that we'd have to supply our own PA and lights because the school equipment (which we thought we'd be using and was supposed to be really good) was in the other hall to the one we were playing in. Also as usual everything over-ran, and and 70's style rock band wasn't perhaps the most appropriate entertainment given the average age of the audience.

However considering that both myself and the drummer who only recently joined the band were still learning songs for the gig earlier in the week we played fantastically. There were mistakes but nothing that anyone outside of the band was likely to notice. Those members of the audience who were of the right age to know the songs were up and dancing for all of the second set, so all-in-all a good start for the new line-up. IMO there was a bit too much faffing about between songs, but hopefully that will get sorted when with some more practice and more familiarity with the songs for the newest members. I was pleased with my performance, considering I've never done straight covers before and learning the basslines off the records had been interesting in some cases.

A good start that hopefully will just get better.