Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='OldGit' post='541677' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:41 PM']Cool You should be able to get oooodles of bass out of that now, specially through your hot amp.[/quote]

Indeed, I will have to work out a rotor system for the P, J and Stingray. Good times

Oh I was out all day today in Swindon :@ will call you tomorrow.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='541683' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:44 PM']Indeed, I will have to work out a rotor system for the P, J and Stingray. Good times

Oh I was out all day today in Swindon :@ will call you tomorrow.[/quote]

Yeah it's a problem when you have more than one you really like.

All Hell Breaks Loose* come Friday so calling before then would be good :)

* School summer holidays

[quote name='OldGit' post='541687' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:47 PM']Yeah it's a problem when you have more than one you really like.

All Hell Breaks Loose* come Friday so calling before then would be good :)

* School summer holidays[/quote]

I have 5 I really like but 2 of them just aren't giggable.

I will call you tomorrow it's on my to do list.

• 2 weeks later...

Dep wedding. Very smart dress uniform kilts everywhere. The Scots Regiment were in town and had organised the wedding. Everything was running 90 mins late by the time we were due to start at 7 ... due to end at 9 too .. finally started at 8.15 and ran til 9.30 .. Good dosh per minute rate but a terrible reminder of how bad wedding timing can get. They probably needed more than the one helicopter parked in the field next to the hotel ...

I played my 79 p through the Cube 100 with the bass boosted and treble and mids cut. Using the Fliptop modeling and foam under the strings.
this is normally an upright gig so I thought I'd try sounding like one, Jamerson stylee, well except for flats...

Sounded great :) Nothing else in that frequency range in this band so plenty of clarity and thump. Limiting the harmonics seemed to be the way to go and teh lack of sustain added to teh response. it was quite a revelation.
I'm growing to like this P.. Shame it's got to go to help pay for the incoming W&T in a few weeks time ...

Edit: Oh yeah and there were lots of rough tough soldiers in kilts dancing as ladies in all male couples ... :rolleyes:

Edited by OldGit

Not a bad night, but I really need to get some rechargeables for my transmitter & receiver!! First set the battery in the IEM that looked OK on the tester was clearly too knackered & the receiver farted all set long :rolleyes: Turned it off about halfway through.

Second set went better with fresh batteries cadged from the guitarist as my stash was empty - well it makes a change. It's normally the other way round!

Good crowd though there were the usual selection of dipsticks.
[list]
[*]the guy who tried to have a conversation with our singer in the middle of songs............TWICE! He was ejected shortly after
[*]The guy who came up after we had finished the second enc, the lights were on & CD playing through the PA and asked if we let people get up and sing, and could he sing Hallelulljah...er no, and we are already past the curfew anyway
[*]the guy who asked if we could do "Dock of the Bay" again after everything was finished and off and again..........eeer no, have you not just heard the set of ROCK covers we've just finished
[/list]
FFS!!! What is it with some people.

Sadly a long gap to the Pebbles gig on 29 Aug due to assorted hols :) I may start twitching before then

Saturday night was the wedding gig discussed [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50461"]back here[/url].

And it went like a charm. It's true that the absence of a drummer did present us with certain timing-based obstacles, but we co-opted a percussionist and kept it together. The bride, groom, and assembled guests were all gushing with praise afterwards, so I'm satisfied that we did the right thing. There were a fair number of people dancing too, so our rhythm can't have been that bad.

We were playing through a hired PA (a package deal where one guy provides the PA, disco, and ran sound for us). The PA was immense, and certainly very loud, but it didn't generate a very nice bass sound at all, in my opinion. Totally devoid of definition. Just this amorphous rumbling that you can't pin down. I tried to turn my rig up to drown it out, but that caused my bass to feed back through the percussionist's microphone ('twas a small stage area), so back down it had to go. In retrospect, I might as well have just taken a DI box.

I took lead vocals on 3.33 songs, and I think it's the first time I've done lead vocals in 7 years. Had a momentary brainfart where I forgot the first line of the second verse of the first song, but not the unrecoverable sort. Also, in retrospect, I did sing a couple of the songs with my eyes mainly closed, which I guess is not really ideal for a wedding band, but hey, cut me a little slack. At least I sounded great.

Finally, I'd like to add that there's nothing like a good gig for making people forget embarrassing things that happened half an hour previously:

[attachment=29619:champ.gif]

(animated GIF, click to view)

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Eugh, Well, Aside from meeting my old man for the first time on saturday night, the gig went really well. Bar the other band...

The Lead singer and guitarist for these guys desided that THREE fender de-villes was utterly undisputable for a room that was about 15x50! very deep narrow stage and he wasnt mic'd up at all so it really was just a wall of (very painful) noise. And the bassist, Oh my lord. I've quite a lot of patience for bassists that dont know all that, i realise that although this is a massive forum those of us that are even slightly technically minded are still well and truly in the minority. However, he had a Roland Rig of sorts, Big 15" combo with a 15" powered extension. I saw this and thought oh, this guy knows what he's doing! alas, he was running a big muff on full tilt, into an SS pre with the gain on full and the bass and mids, yup, you guessed it, on full! between their guitarist, the bassist himself and the soundguy they couldnt work out why the DI was so hot! :rolleyes: They even had an interesting conversation about weather or not his bass was "one of them double pickup" models.

So alas, eventually i went over to politely make a few pointers, And was swiftly accused of taking away from "his sound" so i left it at that.

By some crazy coincidence the signal was fine and actually sounded very nice when i was playing. We where on before these guys so i thought it only polite for me to put everything back exactly as i found it :)

A small theatre in leafy Surrey. Nice venue, although quite hot on stage. A few monitoring gremlins onstage, but FOH fared better and our rhythm guitarist's son did a great job as a stand-in. Local parties and stuff meant numbers were apparently a bit down, but this was hardly noticeable as the very warm & enthusiastic audience really made the gig for us.

Beyond brilliant.

Local music festival called Brandon Buzz. We arrived at 3 scheduled to play at 9. Watched the other bands and were merry! Until it started spitting at about 6! Oddly, not alot of people left, but by the time we started it was raining fairly persistently.

Our set was amazing from the first song. The audience were excellent and we were very well received. They all sang along and danced and jumped around when asked to! It's a night i will never forget. Had a professional PA team that made everything sound awesome.

We were the support band for the headliners, who unfortunately didn't get to play. The police pulled the plug on it because a fight broke out. There were about 10 police vehicles turned up at one point...! I feel really bad for the headliners. they had driven a couple of hours then waited 4 hours! got their amps on stage and were then told to pack up....

EDIT: I've been practising my rock stance:

Edited by allighatt0r

Absolutely excellent!

1300 people at a festival gig, huge marquee and free bar for all the band members :) We didn't have to supply PA, backline or lights either, which I was a bit worried about at first, until we got there and realised that they had provided a full flown line array system with 4 monitor mixes, massive light setup including rotating heads, strobes and smoke machines! I almost cringed when I saw that they had provided a Peavey TNT115 amp for me to use, but it actually sounded fantastic! I elevated it off the ground by about 3ft and there was no mud whatsoever - brilliant!

Still recovering now though :rolleyes:

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='552827' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:30 PM']Beyond brilliant.

Local music festival called Brandon Buzz...

...The audience were excellent and we were very well received. They all sang along and danced and jumped around when asked to! It's a night i will never forget.[/quote]

I played in Brandon a couple of years ago at The Great Eastern Hotel, unfortunately now gone I believe. Had an unbelievable night where we debuted our new drummer, who had his own fanclub by the end. The place was absolutely rammed - barely had room to move my arms - and the audience were incredible. Such a shame it's gone, we were really looking forward to going back. They obviously enjoy their music there...

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='jonsmith' post='553130' date='Jul 27 2009, 08:08 PM']I played in Brandon a couple of years ago at The Great Eastern Hotel, unfortunately now gone I believe. Had an unbelievable night where we debuted our new drummer, who had his own fanclub by the end. The place was absolutely rammed - barely had room to move my arms - and the audience were incredible. Such a shame it's gone, we were really looking forward to going back. They obviously enjoy their music there...[/quote]

The Eastern has actually reopened very recently. I have been in there back before it closed, but i don't know if it's any good now.

Never played there though... :)

We did a stripped down acoustic show where I played my USA P-bass strung with Rotosound Trubass strings. I was really pleased that the bassist from one of the other bands assumed I was normally a double bass player (this was the sound I was trying to achieve - and an irony not lost on the fact that had he heard me on my double bass I'm sure he'd ask if I was normally a bass guitarist!). Still we played well with just acoustic, mandolin, twin harmonies and banjo on one tune. Great fun.

Had a wedding at the Three Tuns, The Street, Staple in Canterbury on Sat.
Thought it was going to be a good night but we had a shock halfway through the first set. The landlord came over to the desk and zeroed all the sliders to cut us off. This was mid song with the bride and groom on the dance floor. He then had a go at us for being too loud and told us to turn it down or stop playing. this was in front of everybody (it was only a small marquee). We were shocked as although we might have been loud we have never had someone mess with our desk like that. And we had people dancing right in front of the PA so it wasn't that loud. Its only a vocal PA anyway.
He came over a second time later and turned the master down, again, we were mid song with a full dance floor.
The crowd were great and some did heckle him but he got quite aggressive with our singer when he told him we hadnt turned up the whole evening. He told us he knew we had and that this was our last chance or else we were off. He thne told us its up to him if he pulls the band, not the wedding party. And this was in front of the couple.
They were a great crowd and we did have a laugh with them about it after he had left but we will never go back to that place, nor recommend it to anyone.
The bloke looked like a spiv and acted like one.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='558779' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:08 PM']Had a wedding at the Three Tuns, The Street, Staple in Canterbury on Sat.
Thought it was going to be a good night but we had a shock halfway through the first set. The landlord came over to the desk and zeroed all the sliders to cut us off. This was mid song with the bride and groom on the dance floor. He then had a go at us for being too loud and told us to turn it down or stop playing. this was in front of everybody (it was only a small marquee). We were shocked as although we might have been loud we have never had someone mess with our desk like that. And we had people dancing right in front of the PA so it wasn't that loud. Its only a vocal PA anyway.
He came over a second time later and turned the master down, again, we were mid song with a full dance floor.
The crowd were great and some did heckle him but he got quite aggressive with our singer when he told him we hadnt turned up the whole evening. He told us he knew we had and that this was our last chance or else we were off. He thne told us its up to him if he pulls the band, not the wedding party. And this was in front of the couple.
They were a great crowd and we did have a laugh with them about it after he had left but we will never go back to that place, nor recommend it to anyone.
The bloke looked like a spiv and acted like one.[/quote]

I thought the Three Tuns had closed down :S

We had the same problem before at a gig in Brixton I would have walked off but the promoter was nutter.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='558790' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:25 PM']I thought the Three Tuns had closed down :S

We had the same problem before at a gig in Brixton I would have walked off but the promoter was nutter.[/quote]

It should be with his attitude.
I just cant get over this. Even turning it off or down on the master i can understand but to destroy the mix is un believable. Although looking at him maybe not.
I must admit this guy looked a bit aggressive so i wasn't going to get in to an argument with him. And its not something you do in front of the wedding couple anyway.
They didn't seem to mind too much, in fact they apologised for what happened but as we only use combo's and a vocal PA imagine someones wedding reception will be ruined at some point.

On Friday, my band ESKIMO SANDWICH played at The Duchess in York. Great gig, our drummer couldn't make it so we had to train up a replacement in a week, hectic times! But anyway it went very well!

Here's a link to a few photos: [url="http://www.kluens.co.uk/gallery/index.php?x=browse&tag=eskimo_sandwich&pagenum=1"]http://www.kluens.co.uk/gallery/index.php?...h&pagenum=1[/url]

And of course here is the obligatory photo of myself:

Played at a pub near Blackpool with my new band. They're nice people and very enthusiastic but a bit clueless. They don't know how songs start, they don't know how songs end - we even did one song twice 'round because nobody knew how to stop it.

Loads of arse clenching train wrecks but in spite of this, they enjoyed it, some of the audience enjoyed it and I spent the night kicking myself for walking away from the last band.

Ah well, nothing better to do at the moment :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='558795' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:34 PM']It should be with his attitude.
I just cant get over this. Even turning it off or down on the master i can understand but to destroy the mix is un believable. Although looking at him maybe not.
I must admit this guy looked a bit aggressive so i wasn't going to get in to an argument with him. And its not something you do in front of the wedding couple anyway.
They didn't seem to mind too much, in fact they apologised for what happened but as we only use combo's and a vocal PA imagine someones wedding reception will be ruined at some point.[/quote]

What a dork.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='558796' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:35 PM']On Friday, my band ESKIMO SANDWICH played at The Duchess in York. Great gig, our drummer couldn't make it so we had to train up a replacement in a week,[/quote]

Ha ha
He looks as relaxed as a rabbit in headlights

[quote name='OldGit' post='559001' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:52 AM']What a dork.[/quote]

Yes. I do want to add though that before this happened he seemed ok. He was quite helpful when we got there so not a complete dork as far as landlords go, but we wont work there again.

I forgot to post about our Friday gig.
Played a wedding at a golf club in south London. The groom had been a bit of a nightmare leading up to the event. Had certain demands written in to the contract, like telling us what to ware but also specifying that they had no responsibility to honour our demands like a changing room, food and drink.
We also spent a lot of time learning some new songs that he "requested". We got to play them but didnt get a thank you from either the bride or groom, in fact they just walked off at the end of the night without saying good bye, thanks or even paying us :)
We had to chase them down to get a cheque of them.
The gig was good though. crowd up dancing the whole night and lots of nice compliments from them (other than from the bride and groom).
So a long weekend, lots of hanging around as both weddings ran very late but its Monday, im now at work and can expect a nice restful, stress free week.

Edited by dave_bass5

Friday - fantastic AOS gig in the function room at the Broadfield in Sheffield. Packed out, and we equalled the record for the bucket collection [to top up our fee]. 11pm finish and home at a decent time.

Saturday - got stiffed for the first time EVER. Booked with Delirium to play a club in Knaresborough (Fusion), very early set-up and soundcheck to allow time for support band who didn't turn up ("We Are Painted", thanks for wasting my valuable time that could have been spent with my kids, you little bedwetters). No punters came and the gig was eventually cancelled with us being sent away with £50 to barely cover our fuel costs. Seems the promoter didn't do much, erm, promoting. Yes that's you "Vampyre_Connections". I would advise extreme caution if even considering dealing with him. And yes we could easily have got a paying gig at a pub. And yes we were on a flat fee as I would not entertain taking a cut from door fees, so technically we're still owed plenty of money.

Friday - the new (to me) band's first public outing after a couple of parties, at the Adam and Eve in Brum. Not only the first time I've played there, it's also (rather surprisingly) the first time I've ever actually set foot in the place. Started at 10.30, did two sets and finished at about 1.30 with lots of sweaty dancing people around us. Much fun, the gafferess liked us, so hopefully there will be plenty more gigs there.

Saturday - a wedding reception for the ceilidh band in a (quite nice) church hall in Stourbridge. Just for a change, the buffet was on while we finished setting up, rather than an hour or so in like normal. Normally, the first hour consists of a few people getting up to dance while everyone else waits for the buffet, but they were up for dancing from the start. As most of the guests had children, they gradually evaporated through the evening, so we finished up at 10.30, which was nice for Mrs Zero and I as we hadn't got to bed till about 4 in the morning. Oh, and we made use of Mrs Zero's new satnav for the first time, and jolly useful it was too. It's nice not being shouted at when you don't turn at the right place... :)

Very strange gig last night. Some local pub wanted to put on a sort of mini festival with three bands on throughout the day. The only reason we agreed was because it was understood that whoever the last band were we would all use there gear.

Turns out noone wanted to share so we ended up having to bring our own. Not a problem, we explained that the only reason we had agreed to a reduced fee was because we were not bringing our own. Now that we were it was a slightly less reduced fee.

We got there at 16:30 (supposed to start bringing our stuff in at 5. The first band were on a break and had started late. No surprises to me but the place was also quite empty. The organiser explained that someone had been murdered the previous week and another pub was having acharity do for him. I was now even more uneasy about this.

We were then told they had some dancers coming on to entertain the punter/s while we set up. We actually set up so quick they didnt get a chance but we noticed they were all quite young though (read mostly jail bait with one or two possibly legal). So we played the first set and had a break then the dancers came on and did a bit of very inappropriate body popping with braces and hot pants on. I tried to just focus on the legal ones cause I fealt quite dodgy.

When we went back on though they all started getting changed and stripped down in a corridor only the band could see! Its very strange trying to avoid looking at a bunch of very young girls in thongs and bras bending over stripping out of hot pants and lycra!!!

I just turned round and watched our drummer instead and he just stared at his snare haha.

Anyway the gig never did get any busier but we got our cash and ran for the hills to avoid being labelled as a perv or peodo. very strange and overall not very enjoyable gig.

We will not be playing there again!