Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Drummers 65th party last night playing with both the Glam band and the Punk band.

Great night and just good fun night. 

Glam band went on first mainly because the singer Mikey and guitarist Colin wanted to get it done so they could have a few beers etc after playing.

Have to say the Handbox WB-100 with the Godin Shifter bass is a perfect match. The depth of tone was simply incredible and worked so well in both bands. 

Guitarist and singer from the Glam band told me after the punk band played that the bass tone was the best they had ever heard and reminded the guitarist of Roger Glover's Deep Purple tone. He had never heard me playing like that with so much energy and aggression. I don't particularly play that way with the Glam band because its not needed when you are copying the Glam era from studio recordings rather than a live sound. Its more controlled and a bit more mellow. So many compliments from our guitarist about my punk band style and tone and the fact he had no idea i even played like that. He reckoned it was the best punk band he had ever seen. I have to add that by the time we finished at 1am they were a wee bit oiled and i think the comments were fuelled with alcohol a bit but a compliment is still a compliment is still a compliment. :hi:

The punk band is all about energy and that amp and bass gave it in buckets full. It had so much depth and from what they told me carried right thru the guitarists Marshall stack with so much power and clarity. Singer said the high notes at the dusty end were so clear and sharp where he was standing at the back of the hall. 

For the more Ric style tones i engaged the "bright" button just to give it that little kick edge. Loved it. Particular punk favs for me last night from a tone point of view were Do Anything you Wanna do and In To the Valley with its de-D tuning for one song but the depth remained but that bright button just meant it carried so much further.

Another thing i found using the Godin bass was that the pick ups being so hot meant the amp was nowhere near the same master volume as with my Sandberg basses meaning that amp has a lot more headroom than i thought.

I am now keeping that bass and amp. Guitarist said it ws THE best bass tone he had ever heard from any band

The Handbox is staying and hoping the Mesa TT800 when it arrives will also give me that Mesa "heft" as so many have commented on the TB site i follow.

If anyone gets a chance to play one of those Godin Shifter classic basses then try them they are so well made, not heavy and some of the nicest sounding pick ups i've tried over many many years. Not a hugely expensive bass either on 2nd hand market. If you like a P bass with some extras its a wonderful buy. It has a V & T control and 4 way switch for P, J, Series or Parallel. I had it on Parallel last night and cant fault it. Many thanks to our very own Stevie @theplumber for finally selling me the Godin. If you're reading this Stevie i'll take the other Godin if you decide to move it on. :biggrin:

No pics as yet but if any appear i'll post later.

Short drive home too at 25mins altho the road to Wanlockhead is very pot-holed at the moment and a bit of care was required in the dark.

Just got to head back there today at mid-day to pack up the gear and return home again. 

Bit long winded post but it just shows how excited i am with that HB and Godin combination. Sometimes things just fall into place by accident and this was that night.

Dave 

Hurtsfall were in London at the New Cross Inn supporting Ghost Dance on Saturday.

There were good and bad bits...

I've never played a gig south of the river and I won't be in a hurry to do it again. The last 5 miles took about three and half hours to drive, although much of this time we were completely stationary. I've seen heavy traffic in London before but this was ridiculous! Instead of turning up just before load-in we arrived 10 minutes before our advertised playing time, just as the first band were finishing. No time to do anything except load the gear in set it up , a quick line check and then straight into the set. No time to get changed or relax for a moment, although Sam, or singer, managed to sneak off and get into his spangly trousers while were sorting out DIs with the PA engineer.

However as a result of all the delays and the real possibility that we might arrive too late to play the energy on stage was electric and we stormed through the set. The song we'd chosen to open with at this gig, the somewhat prophetic "Lost Souls (Driving At Night)" which can be a bit hit and miss live just came alive in a way that it hasn't really before, and the new song which we'd stumbled through on Wednesday was played with the sort of authority that normally only comes after a lot of gigs. 

Apart from a few friends of our singer (he's originally from London) none of the audience knew who we were, but there were plenty of nice things being said afterwards and we sold a lot of merch and fended off questions about when the album will be out (later this year - honest). The drive home despite a large section of the M11 being closed was a piece of cake in comparison to our journey in...

Obligatory gig photo, apologies for my appearance, but there was no time to get changed so I'm still wearing my comfortable travelling clothes rather than my gigging clothes.

435975662-10161394832791878-609210450257

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Hurtsfall were in London at the New Cross Inn supporting Ghost Dance on Saturday.

There were good and bad bits...

I've never played a gig south of the river and I won't be in a hurry to do it again. The last 5 miles took about three and half hours to drive, although much of this time we were completely stationary. I've seen heavy traffic in London before but this was ridiculous! Instead of turning up just before load-in we arrived 10 minutes before our advertised playing time, just as the first band were finishing. No time to do anything except load the gear in set it up , a quick line check and then straight into the set. No time to get changed or relax for a moment, although Sam, or singer, managed to sneak off and get into his spangly trousers while were sorting out DIs with the PA engineer.

However as a result of all the delays and the real possibility that we might arrive too late to play the energy on stage was electric and we stormed through the set. The song we'd chosen to open with at this gig, the somewhat prophetic "Lost Souls (Driving At Night)" which can be a bit hit and miss live just came alive in a way that it hasn't really before, and the new song which we'd stumbled through on Wednesday was played with the sort of authority that normally only comes after a lot of gigs. 

Apart from a few friends of our singer (he's originally from London) none of the audience knew who we were, but there were plenty of nice things being said afterwards and we sold a lot of merch and fended off questions about when the album will be out (later this year - honest). The drive home despite a large section of the M11 being closed was a piece of cake in comparison to our journey in...

Obligatory gig photo, apologies for my appearance, but there was no time to get changed so I'm still wearing my comfortable travelling clothes rather than my gigging clothes.

435975662-10161394832791878-609210450257

Ouch !! that's what you call horrendous traffic. Sympathy for you guys there. Looks like you pulled it all together and had a great gig tho.

Well done.

Dave

8 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Ouch !! that's what you call horrendous traffic. Sympathy for you guys there. Looks like you pulled it all together and had a great gig tho.

Well done.

Dave

Thanks! It was pretty nerve-wracking on the way in as we could see our predicted ETA getting ever closer to when we were supposed to be starting our set. Once we'd got to the other side of the Thames it was easier going but we were nearly thwarted by a bus broken down in the middle of a junction were we needed to turn left.

Next gig for both my bands is WGW which should be a lot easier as most of us are there from at least Friday (the gig is on Saturday afternoon) and the only challenge will not getting too drunk the night before when we go and see Westenra and Auger play.

• Haha 1

A very local gig for me last night, only 4 minutes drive (yes I timed it 🤣). Place was a WMC in the next village that’s only just started to have bands back on after a couple years hiatus. It was about 2/3rds full which was nice as it’s a big old place and even 50 people would have made the place look empty. Quite a few people were non regulars who’d seen us at other places in West and South Yorkshire so that was appreciated. One guy brought a small entourage and a selection of wigs and hats in line with our glam theme that he let the masses wear. All in all a decent night, paid more than agreed and promises of more gigs. Next week it’s the middle of Hull….IMG_1449.thumb.jpeg.a58010603982e1195446483a6aa6bc56.jpeg

• Like 12

My Funk, Soul, & Motown covers band played our first wedding reception last night at The Saxon Mill in Warwick. We all played well, Bride and Groom very happy, lots of singing, dancing, applause etc, we got a further gig from it so on that front the gig was fantastic and we were paid an hour after getting home.

However...

It was the first time I'd mustered the courage to head out with my Ken Smith, It's a bass I like to have in the home to practice more complicated stuff on, but I fancied playing it at this nice venue and at a wedding, however during sound check I just couldn't hear myself, we could feel the bass but It was impossible to hear the notes in the mix, thinking it could just be the fact the ceilings where low, I was tucked in a corner and the room had a carpet floor I switched out to my trusty Squier P (The wife) and soundchecked with that, and... there it was, louder, clearer, present and cutting right through the mix. 

So I was obviously very put out by that, I want to play the Smith, but it obviously needs a different band / setup to work well. Bum! 

Next gig this friday at our usual haunt in Leamington Spa where the Squier will do the hard work again. 

IMG_6294copy.thumb.jpg.a7a57d7e030395c9f7c839e1aa81de67.jpg

• Like 8

My new tribute band's 2nd gig last night. A warm-up at The Garrison in Barnsley. We're announcing an Autumn UK tour tomorrow including some pretty bloody good venues for a tribute with only 2 gigs under our belt. Its taken us nearly a year to get everything to the standard we're happy to put out and its paying off. You can't really do a tribute to Post Malone unless you know you can pull it off. We had people last night who came up to us after and said they're Post Malone fans but came to see us thinking that we'd be shit and it'd be a laugh and that instead we blew them away. I take that as a win! 

The Garrison is a brilliant venue, the only tough part is it's a Sports Bar first and a music venue second, so we had to sound check/load in to a packed building. Other than that, its ace.

IAN_5776.jpg

IAN_5640-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IAN_5784.jpg

• Like 13

Nice gig at Leicester’s Donkey music venue with my blues/soul trio the Andy Wales Band.

First outing for my recently-acquired Ashdown ABM500 head too, which sounded beefy and fat - apart from briefly leaning my bass against the front panel which pressed the switch to turn off the EQ (why would anyone want that?) leaving me wondering for a few songs where my lovely sound had gone…. Lesson - always know the position of your knob. 

Good turn out tho including interestingly various punters who’d paid for a nearby blues festival but didn’t like it and instead spotted this gig in the listings and came along (and seemed to enjoy it!)

IMG_3370.jpeg

IMG_3368.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Our acoustic duo played another gig at The Lookout on the Pier in Scarborough last night. 
Usual full house and dozens of requests, this time including ‘The thrill is gone’, ‘Moon river’,

’Unchain my heart’ and even ‘Waterloo’ which I don’t think I’ve ever played before.  Nice 

bassline too, although a bit more limited due to dropping the key so two blokes could

sing it! We have one more gig there at the end of this month before a bit of a break until

July. Picture taken as we were loading out, a beautiful evening over the bay.

IMG_3715.jpeg

• Like 17

14 hours ago, martthebass said:

A very local gig for me last night, only 4 minutes drive (yes I timed it 🤣). Place was a WMC in the next village that’s only just started to have bands back on after a couple years hiatus. It was about 2/3rds full which was nice as it’s a big old place and even 50 people would have made the place look empty. Quite a few people were non regulars who’d seen us at other places in West and South Yorkshire so that was appreciated. One guy brought a small entourage and a selection of wigs and hats in line with our glam theme that he let the masses wear. All in all a decent night, paid more than agreed and promises of more gigs. Next week it’s the middle of Hull….IMG_1449.thumb.jpeg.a58010603982e1195446483a6aa6bc56.jpeg

4 min drive to a gig that must have been the perfect gig :laugh1:

Love the wigs along the stage there. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

Sunday afternoon gig at a local social club, not the biggest turnout, apparently a tribute band on in town the night before was what did it, but those that were there really enjoyed, we really enjoyed ourselves, nice to be home for 7pm rather than 1am once in a while. 

Hopefully get some Saturday night gigs from them going forward.. 

• Like 9

14 hours ago, martthebass said:

A very local gig for me last night, only 4 minutes drive (yes I timed it 🤣). 

Could have stayed home and used the wireless?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Deadlight Dance had our album launch at my local pub. I was mostly on the mandocello with occasional mandolin and three songs on my bass vi. We sold a few albums to a respectable sized crowd and my absolute highlight was we got sketched - the picture is to be framed in the pub wall! 

IMG_9289.jpg.784b531f1a3ab7c728b17150259d5059.jpg

I thought we played well and I particularly like my growing confidence in the bass vi. 

29a86bdf-3988-4246-b837-a73fa79e34b2.thumb.jpg.0b2d72a1f4eba17907ddca2496c10dc5.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Deadlight Dance had our album launch at my local pub. I was mostly on the mandocello with occasional mandolin and three songs on my bass vi. We sold a few albums to a respectable sized crowd and my absolute highlight was we got sketched - the picture is to be framed in the pub wall! 

IMG_9289.jpg.784b531f1a3ab7c728b17150259d5059.jpg

I thought we played well and I particularly like my growing confidence in the bass vi. 

29a86bdf-3988-4246-b837-a73fa79e34b2.thumb.jpg.0b2d72a1f4eba17907ddca2496c10dc5.jpg

Anywhere we can hear something from the album and where to buy it. Its not my usual style of music but i'm very curious with the various instruments you use, could make it very interesting.

Dave

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, casapete said:

Where / when are you playing Mart?

Next Saturday Pete, Service Station - not played there before. Apparently a bit of a rockers place so we’ll see how Glam goes down 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

4 min drive to a gig that must have been the perfect gig :laugh1:

Love the wigs along the stage there. :laugh1:

Dave

We seem to be doing more local gigs at the minute Dave, used to be mainly 1-2hr commutes, not sure why but not complaining. We’re hoping we pick this place up for NYE, that would be perfect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Next Saturday Pete, Service Station - not played there before. Apparently a bit of a rockers place so we’ll see how Glam goes down 🤣🤣🤣

Damn, I’m in Shrewsbury that night Mart - I will get to see your band soon though!
Service Station isn’t a big place but they put on lots of bands, as you say mainly rock

so hope you shake them up a bit! Am sure you’ll be great,  all the best. Pete. 

Edited by casapete
  • Like 2

Just now, casapete said:

Damn, I’m in Shrewsbury that night Mart - I will get to see your band soon though!
Service Station isn’t a big place but they put on lots of bands, as you say mainly rock

so hope you shake them up a bit! Am sure you’ll be great! all the best. Pete. 

Cheers mate, would’ve been nice to see you. Maybe catch up after your ‘retirement’. Not over your way again until August when we’re in Withernsea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Anywhere we can hear something from the album and where to buy it. Its not my usual style of music but i'm very curious with the various instruments you use, could make it very interesting.

Dave

We made a film when we recorded the acoustic covers album in a Saxon Church.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1