Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

11 minutes ago, tvickey said:

I'd pay myself just for the opportunity to play with some of the headliners at the shows that we've got lined up this year...  but don't tell the promoter that! ;)

I swear !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oh yes you are a cool dude on stage Daryl. Sure i've mentioned it to you over the years plus i hope i look that good at your age.

Nice one

Dave 

I'm studying stage presence of the older rock guys. I'm stealing a lot from Tom Petterson ,bass player from Cheap Trick. Tom is 74, he's not all over the place  like he was in his 20s but he still has a cool onstage presence. 

This clip is pretty old.

Daryl

• Like 3

7 hours ago, msb said:

Recently turned 72 and still gigging. One local mentor has some years on me , and is still going strong. My barometer , if he can still manage some dignity and grace on the gig I feel there’s still some hope for me. 
He still nails it.

I remain optimistic.

MSB,

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm 70 and I get it. For me I think performing with younger musicians helps. I think it helps me. I have a tendency to be stuck in the 60s & 70s.

Daryl

IMG_20240309_083455~2.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I'm studying stage presence of the older rock guys. I'm stealing a lot from Tom Petterson ,bass player from Cheap Trick. Tom is 74, he's not all over the place  like he was in his 20s but he still has a cool onstage presence. 

This clip is pretty old.

Daryl

That bass looks very interesting - from far it seems like it is a 12 string bass, but without whiskey it is surely 4 string. 🧐

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

You didn't mention the money side of it but we would price appropriately. We always quote 2 x 1hr sets as our typical show but we are always prepared to accommodate the venue. If venue is ok with it we will do 2.5hr show with one 15-20min break.

Dave 

I always think, if a venue can pay for 3 hours they can surely afford to pay for 4 hours.lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nilorius said:

That bass looks very interesting - from far it seems like it is a 12 string bass, but without whiskey it is surely 4 string. 🧐

Tom performs exclusively with 12 strings these days.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, casapete said:

We did a Butlins 70’s weekender at Minehead last night. 
We nearly didn’t due to our singer all but losing his voice, but the gig was saved by bringing

along a possible future replacement for him. He did very well considering the circumstances

and at such short notice, so they shared the vocal duties along with me doing a bit too.

Had the use of an SVT rig which I’d been looking forward to.  Unfortunately it seemed to

have a problem during soundcheck so ended up using my GK set up. We got through the

gig okay - great audience of around 2000 mostly in 70’s themed fancy dress and up for

a good time. After we’d finished some of us caught Bootleg Blondie on another stage

who were really good. Plenty of beers afterwards and a good night’s kip in surprisingly nice

lakeside accommodation.  Dreadful journey home today though due to an accident on the 

main road in and out of Minehead, necessitating a massive diversion using very narrow 

roads into Devon! Took us over 5 hours to get home so absolutely knackered now, looking

forward to a night in etc. 

( Got a break of 3 weeks now before our next gig in Milton Keynes, one of the 5 left before

I leave the band. )

You conjured up your inner Kelly Groucutt👏

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I think we are in very similar situation with our bands Daryl altho i wasn't to begin with when i started on BC but how things change :biggrin:

Once you get used to the income its harder to walk away from it.

Dave

There's so many variables here. I was still working when I joined Maple Road in 2009. 

For me it seems like managing money became a lot easier after I retired. It seems like I have more disposable income now. I have less expenses as a pensioner. 

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

This clip is pretty old.

Daryl

Saw them a few yrs back supporting Deep Purple i think it was. Great band and didn't even know they were still going.

Dave

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

There's so many variables here. I was still working when I joined Maple Road in 2009. 

For me it seems like managing money became a lot easier after I retired. It seems like I have more disposable income now. I have less expenses as a pensioner. 

Daryl

100% me too.

Dave

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I always think, if a venue can pay for 3 hours they can surely afford to pay for 4 hours.lol

Daryl

Our singer normally does all the bookings and he would definitely charge more if a venue wants us to be there longer than the 2 x 1hr sets. If on the night we decide to play more because we're enjoying it so much we just go for it until we run out of songs.

I have pushed hard for both bands to stick to just 2 x 1hr sets but its difficult when your guitarist just wants to play all night every night.

Dave

• Like 5

After last week’s shenanigans with the full 12 piece band, including the percussionist doubling on pedal steel, our most straightforward format albeit my least favourite, 6 piece with the horns on tracks at Tewksbury Park at a smallish wedding. Nice room to play in, easy sound to manage and a up for it crowd. Dep guitar did great, singer decided he’d DJ the end of the evening, everyone happy.

IMG_4215.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

After last week’s shenanigans with the full 12 piece band, including the percussionist doubling on pedal steel, our most straightforward format albeit my least favourite, 6 piece with the horns on tracks at Tewksbury Park at a smallish wedding. Nice room to play in, easy sound to manage and a up for it crowd. Dep guitar did great, singer decided he’d DJ the end of the evening, everyone happy.

IMG_4215.jpeg

Shenanigans,  lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Saw them a few yrs back supporting Deep Purple i think it was. Great band and didn't even know they were still going.

Dave

They're America's bar band. They're all still alive and probably play at least 200 nights a year  

I use to see them back in the early 70s before they were famous. They would play at the " sock hops" at my university  

Daryl

• Like 3

So, Turnette Doone (for whom I do the bass bits) had a gig in Minehead at The Old Ship Aground on a Friday night several weeks ago. All good, well received, want us back etc, so happy days. 

The next day I flew to Australia for two weeks of work stuff - sounds cool, but it was hard work. Imagine my excitement when I see there’s a fresh comment on the FB gig post from ‘Mark Young’. More compliments?? More praise??? A gig enquiry for a wedding???? Well, not really.

Check out his comments, and I hope my reply spreads some joy on here. People, eh?IMG_7135.thumb.png.5f07cc672fb342725fe873163773cf2e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

The Bluesfire gig at the Doll's House was last night.

Long dark, wet drive up into the valleys. Good load in but virtually no parking, but the residents completely ignore the double yellows and we were told "you'll be ok as long as you leave room for a bus".

We were a bit worried at first  but it filled up a bit (although not rammed), perhaps as it was a miserable dreich night. But the audience made up for numbers with enthusiasm.  The juke box made it clear our music was bang on target for the pub and it was great to get cheering not just applause! Got some positive comments all round too, which was nice 😁

Got away well after 12, for a long, dark wet drive. I found an open macdonalds when nearly back so didn't get home until after half one.

• Like 15

First time in the Racehorse taunton last night - in fact, probably the first time in taunton proper, which consider we are a band from Yeovil (25 miles from taunton) is quite odd in itself - we have done the villages around but not the town. Anyway, very narrow, long pub, tiny space, awkward load in, but in general was a great night, really enjoyed it and left with future bookings and wedding (gig, not proposal), so I am guessing it went down ok. There were a lot of people in the pub but you couldn't see many of them, they passed the door or went past from the room at the front or the room behind me or the outdoor area. Beyond that space in the picture was just people. It was pretty up close and personal.

Second gig with a keyboard player, not sure I was convinced it was a great idea before, but although it doesn't work on everything, he really has brought a new dimension to some songs 

A bit of a pain breaking down, not much room, and a lot of people in the way of everything and walking through. Although it is further than we usually go (yes I know a lot of you travel miles, we dont!), it was a really quick journey back as the roads were empty, so back before 1.

Noticed a private message on our facebook that we were amazing. Always nice to get a compliment although sometimes it would be nice if it was visible on the page!

image.png

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

As long as Sheila and Adrian had a good time, thats all that matters!

Er, Sheila’s me mum, and Adrian is our singist/guitard. We really must work harder on our social media presence…..and will, but not any time soon 😎

• Like 5

Back at Birchanger Social Club last night. First gig for us since just before Xmas, and first gig with new Allen & Heath CQ18T mixer and my new Sennheiser IE 400 Pro IEMs. It's a regular venue for us, but unfortunately it was rather on the quiet side, not to mention we had to wait for the rugby to finish before we could start. But that meant we could take advantage of the excellent food and cheap beer before we started. Every cloud...

We played well enough, but as I say, it was a quiet night, so only a few dancers. But they seemed to enjoy it. And even though we've had a few rehearsals since Xmas and I've practiced at home, we were clearly out of physical "gig shape". All of us, apart from young Sophie, were broken by the end of the night. Hopefully, another couple of gigs should do us good.

Really happy with the new mixer. I'm glad we had a technical rehearsal a few weeks ago to set it up but it's going to take a few gigs to properly dial it in and get the in ear mix just right (we're sharing a single mix for the time being).  Talking of which,  I'm very happy with the new IE 400 Pro IEMs, none of the irritating harshness of my previous ZS10 Pro X set, with a lovely full range and deep sound. And the sound from the new mixer seemed to be much clearer compared to the old Yamaha desk.

Next gig in 3 weeks time back at the Cow and Telescope.  Looking forward to that one.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

we were clearly out of physical "gig shape".

My band played a new club for us on Saturday, with a dep drummer. We have gigged three times since Xmas, but the last one was 3 weeks ago. This was a cut-price gig and was two 1 1/4 hours sets that inevitably turned into a 1 hour 20 and 1 hour 40. I found out again why we need to play every day. My fingers were raw at the end of the night. It was great fun, though (the masochist in me?). They want us back, but I think I will insist on our normal rate at least.

I thought I had a bad night, but the drummer said he found it easy to play along with me. Incidently, I have just bought the CQ20, first outing may be this Friday.

• Like 8

On 17/03/2024 at 02:30, scalpy said:

IMG_4215.jpeg

what are those lights please?

• Like 1