Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

39 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Intrigued as to how it works financially (not trying to be rude) to travel to Brighton for a support gig. Is it for exposure or do they actually pay?

The deal was the door receipts would be split between the two bands and they would give us something towards petrol money. In other words, buttons! I don't do it for the money, purely for the fun of gigging (it's a hobby for me). I can only assume the Nottingham band are just trying to build a national following - they were all 50s/60s and have been gigging for decades so I guess they also like the rock and roll life!

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Clarky said:

The deal was the door receipts would be split between the two bands and they would give us something towards petrol money. In other words, buttons! I don't do it for the money, purely for the fun of gigging (it's a hobby for me). I can only assume the Nottingham band are just trying to build a national following - they were all 50s/60s and have been gigging for decades so I guess they also like the rock and roll life!

How far was the run to Brighton for you @Clarky ?

Playing is still a hobby for me too and i've played gigs and it cost me money but i'm trying to avoid that nowadays. Need to at least break even. 

The gigs where i took a loss were when fuel prices were ridiculous but we had already agreed a price with the venue.

Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clarky said:

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Playing is still a hobby for me too and i've played gigs and it cost me money but i'm trying to avoid that nowadays. Need to at least break even. 

The gigs where i took a loss were when fuel prices were ridiculous but we had already agreed a price with the venue.

Dave

Hobby for me as well, but I am known as a musical whooer by my mates for taking on all offers to play pretty much whatever because I enjoy playing and can afford to (within reason) as wifey is accommodating to my regular disappearance to gigs and rehearsals and the day job keeps me solvent.

I probably did around half of @Clarky's journey Saturday in the opposite direction (from the coast inland to Horsham). After costs we had £10 each Saturday night, and the final tot up for 92 punters through the door, after room & PA means I have another £10 to come apparently. 🕺EV & a bit of sun in the morning means I probably broke even on mileage for the gig & three rehearsals - though not once the extra bits to make running the bass pedals easier and other odds & sods are factored in :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

It was around 1hr 40 min journey both ways. TBH, it takes me most of that to get to rehearsals in NE London (I live in SW London)

• Like 3

Weekly Bandeoke residency last night. First use of my HB short scale. It sounded amazing I have to say.

IMG_20240314_212010.thumb.jpg.d35b173e1c6b44885afa78b2d87d2e78.jpg

Probably a lot to do with the incredible sound I've found through the Source Audio Ultrawave to be fair

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 9

On 12/03/2024 at 05:02, Clarky said:

Most of you know, I'm an old retired bass guitarist from the 60s and 70s.

I get the whole " this is my hobby, I'm not in this for the money" thing. I hear it from several of my friends that are my age (70). One of them always says "I don't care if I get paid, I just want to play"

I'm quite different I have worked hard over the years studying bass, practicing and gigging. I love the fact that I have a skill  I've invested in that I'm financially compensated for. I actually take great pride in it. I always have fun gigging. Getting paid to have fun is awesome in my opinion. 

Am I off base ?

Daryl

• Like 8

Good for you Bluewine. I don't have the opportunity to make money, playing in an originals goth/post-punk band (very niche audience). If I could make decent money doing this, I would of course happily do so. But it's not going to happen and I am fine with that as it's a hobby (like watching football, which costs me a lot each year for my two Arsenal season tickets).

To paraphrase you: not getting paid to have fun is also awesome

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Good for you Bluewine. I don't have the opportunity to make money, playing in an originals goth/post-punk band (very niche audience). If I could make decent money doing this, I would of course happily do so. But it's not going to happen and I am fine with that as it's a hobby (like watching football, which costs me a lot each year for my two Arsenal season tickets).

To paraphrase you: not getting paid to have fun is also awesome

I get where your coming from. We all have different backgrounds and experiences that form our positions.

For me the money thing started when I was 12 in 1966. My little band played for a summer backyard large family party.

After the gig a family elder walked up to us and handed each band member a 20 dollar bill. Twenty dollars for a 12 year old in 1966 was a lot. I thought I had "made it" in show business.  I've been a

"money guy" ever since.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 1

I think there’s room for us all in this big ol’ Basschat world! From what I have read I admire you both.  My major motivation is the need to play for as long as I am physically able: too many of my musical inspirers are checking out, and the recent loss of @bumnote and @yorks5stringer has brought home how you never know how long you have got…

PS I know what you mean about football, @Clarky … I am a Fulham s/t holder x2. Wish us luck tomorrow night!

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

I think there’s room for us all in this big ol’ Basschat world! From what I have read I admire you both.  My major motivation is the need to play for as long as I am physically able: too many of my musical inspirers are checking out, and the recent loss of @bumnote and @yorks5stringer has brought home how you never know how long you have got…

We lost Eric Carmen (74) from The Raspberries and solo artis this week. RIP

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

Same way I feel, I'll be 78 in two months and love gigging with my DB and I've got a show, jazz gigs, some jams and three bluegrass festivals coming up this spring and summer and I'm taking weekly lessons and will be helping out my teacher's youth orchestra's bass section in a concert in May.

I'm not sitting around because I know the clock is ticking and consider myself to be extremely lucky to be able to do this now. 

• Like 7

Just an example of band communication.

Here's a text from my band leader.

"Hey guys! I know I got confirmation from everyone for  Maple Rd @Tiki Resort in Elkhart Lake for Sun 7/28. The time would be 4-8 pm with 3 extended breaks, is that ok with everyone?"

A four hour gig is a bit much for me, however I'm ok with it. Would you be ok with it ?

Daryl

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Staggering on said:

Same way I feel, I'll be 78 in two months and love gigging with my DB and I've got a show, jazz gigs, some jams and three bluegrass festivals coming up this spring and summer and I'm taking weekly lessons and will be helping out my teacher's youth orchestra's bass section in a concert in May.

I'm not sitting around because I know the clock is ticking and consider myself to be extremely lucky to be able to do this now. 

Congratulations 🎊 

You've beat the system. Your 78 and still a very active musician .

Staggering you are a lucky guy. I'm 70 and hope to follow in your footsteps  

Daryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When i joined BC playing in bands was purely a hobby for me. That was quite a few yrs back.

Since retiring early i started playing more seriously with the bands i was part off. When i finally got the Glam covers band going i was kinda hooked into playing both for enjoyment and the income was certainly useful. 

Now i'm quite annoyed if the fee isn't what i'm used to.

The number of gigs i'm doing in a year doubled in 2023 and has tripled for this year but it still feels more like a busy hobby for me and i'm happy with that.

I have a lot more respect for musicians like Daryl  @Bluewine who earn a living from playing. Its not an easy job to take on making sure the gigs are there every weekend. I can see it being quite stressful in that respect so all credit to all the guys earning a fulltime living from gigging. My respect to you all.

Dave 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Congratulations 🎊 

You've beat the system. Your 78 and still a very active musician .

Staggering you are a lucky guy. I'm 70 and hope to follow in your footsteps  

Daryl 

Best regards!!! 😉

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

"Hey guys! I know I got confirmation from everyone for  Maple Rd @Tiki Resort in Elkhart Lake for Sun 7/28. The time would be 4-8 pm with 3 extended breaks, is that ok with everyone?"

A four hour gig is a bit much for me, however I'm ok with it. Would you be ok with it ?

Daryl

Good comms there. Given there are 3 extended breaks 4 - 8 would be doable if my back were ok but at present that would be way beyond me, a 40min set makes me hurt for a good few days.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I get where your coming from. We all have different backgrounds and experiences that form our positions.

For me the money thing started when I was 12 in 1966. My little band played for a summer backyard large family party.

After the gig a family elder walked up to us and handed each band member a 20 dollar bill. Twenty dollars for a 12 year old in 1966 was a lot. I thought I had "made it" in show business.  I've been a

"money guy" ever since.

Daryl

Fair do's Bluewine. I mistakenly took your first reply to me as somewhat high handed and apologise if I came back as somewhat snarky. As @Mickeyboro rightly pointed out, different strokes for different folks. For me, music is a fun sideshow from my main day job(s) and consequently the money side is less important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daryl

I'd be ok with it if i was getting the 3 extended breaks but it does become a long day especially when you add travel time and gear set / dismantle time but yes i'd do it.

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Most of you know, I'm an old retired bass guitarist from the 60s and 70s.

I get the whole " this is my hobby, I'm not in this for the money" thing. I hear it from several of my friends that are my age (70). One of them always says "I don't care if I get paid, I just want to play"

I'm quite different I have worked hard over the years studying bass, practicing and gigging. I love the fact that I have a skill  I've invested in that I'm financially compensated for. I actually take great pride in it. I always have fun gigging. Getting paid to have fun is awesome in my opinion. 

Am I off base ?

Daryl

Daryl, you are an absolute inspiration to me. I too value the work I've put in over many decades and the money I've invested and I don't work without I get paid.  Not only are you living proof that age doesn't have to stop us working but you're so damn cool as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Good comms there. Given there are 3 extended breaks 4 - 8 would be doable if my back were ok but at present that would be way beyond me, a 40min set makes me hurt for a good few days.

U bass for the win. About the same stress level as playing air bass to a sequencer.

Most of the gigs I play are booked as 2x45min but it's rare we play for less than 2hrs and I'm more than happy with that. With the Hulla band, the band leader is a Bruce Springsteen fan and when I first joined he had never considered a break (and the others in the band never challenged him) because 'The Man' plays long gigs. The first full gig I played with them was at the festival they organise every year. It's a multi act line up going on all day and we finish the event. I had an idea when I saw the set list of 35 songs it would be long, but with the some extended intros, chats with the audience, chorus repeats to let the crowd dance and sing along and a pause while the three memebers of the band who are RNLI volunteers had to ensure there was cover when the alarms went off (three RNLI volunteers in the audience were on call that night), it ended up just under 4 hrs. Last year's festival gig (my third with them) was 4.5hrs with a 15 minute break (one of the things I brought to the party). 

I remember flagging a bit during the 3rd hour before picking up again as the style of music changed to a more energetic style. I don't mind too much in that band as we have fun within the band (there are 13-14 on stage depending on the songs) but the reality is that having two acts to fill the same time would be better for the audience.

• Like 2

Daryl

We typically do 3 hours with one break, reckon I could handle 4 hours with 3 breaks, especially with such an early finish (instead of finishing at anything between midnight and 1am).  If I was worries about fatigue, I'd take my Jack Casady, it's probably the lightest bass I own.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Hopefully not a permanent thing and you can get back to full gigging fitness again.

If not do what i did when i had a temporary shoulder/back issue i bought a Gruvgear duo strap. Worked pretty well and once shoulder was ok i used the main part as a single strap. Still using it several yrs later.

Dave