Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Done plenty of those - Used to have a semi regular gig at a bar in Manchester where I had to move out of the way to let people leave.

I suppose I got goosed a couple of times and at least one was a young lady(?) ... well they're all young to me nowadays 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

People tend to steer clear once they've had a headstock to the head a couple of times. Even our singist has taken the hint 😁

Ours pointed out that very thing last night (that it's normally him being whacked in the back of the head.

6 hours ago, neepheid said:

If I had a quid for every time I had to do my best Bill Wyman impression to allow admission to the bogs - it's not a bass guitar, it's a manually raised barrier!

Also had from the same audience member mid song: 1) a mime that looked like 'can my chum  play your bass?' Eeeer No, even though I know him and he depped for me a few years back tis neither the time nor place; and 2) can I sing in your mic? Again no, and definitely not without me killing it in my IEM's 🤣 To be fair he was looking v apologetic and running a blocking play for me at the time 🙂

We have a slot at a largish local festival later in the year. Not quite sure what we'll do with all the space!!?

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band tonight in Dalkeith Miners Club. WOW what a venue. 300 tickets sold on our first gig there. Holds 600 apparently altho not sure where they would all sit as it was fairly busy with 300.

Club was refurbished 1-2 yrs ago and what a job they've done. Large stage with glass partitions across the front of most of the stage. Full good quality PA and lighting and a really good Sound Engineer who seemed to know his stuff even tho he was very young compared to us.

Great reception, dancers up for literally every song. Great feedback at the end from folks in other bands so that was good. 2 different bass players complimented my playing and tone so that was nice too.

Several people said we had under sold ourselves at £5 a ticket but that was down to the venue. We just got a fee. Their comment was that some people will think £5 the band is either s**t or not worth going to see. Several bands that were nowhere near as good as us and they were charging more than double what we were. All down to the venue however the Sound guy said that after the next time we play there we should go thru him as he reckons we should be on a minimum 4 figure fee. All very promising.

They also want to book us for Hogmanay 2025. Jings i might be dead and buried by then :laugh1:

Anyways gear for tonight was my usual Sandberg VM4 into Shure Wireless into Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa SW210/115 cabs.

Dave

image.thumb.png.f082919fe359d4be4aa017e973186132.png

image.thumb.png.aa8b8769271f42dd428045dd04f6bc45.png

What's it like playing in a fishtank? Do you get odd sound reflections?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band tonight in Dalkeith Miners Club. WOW what a venue. 300 tickets sold on our first gig there. Holds 600 apparently altho not sure where they would all sit as it was fairly busy with 300.

Club was refurbished 1-2 yrs ago and what a job they've done. Large stage with glass partitions across the front of most of the stage. Full good quality PA and lighting and a really good Sound Engineer who seemed to know his stuff even tho he was very young compared to us.

Great reception, dancers up for literally every song. Great feedback at the end from folks in other bands so that was good. 2 different bass players complimented my playing and tone so that was nice too.

Several people said we had under sold ourselves at £5 a ticket but that was down to the venue. We just got a fee. Their comment was that some people will think £5 the band is either s**t or not worth going to see. Several bands that were nowhere near as good as us and they were charging more than double what we were. All down to the venue however the Sound guy said that after the next time we play there we should go thru him as he reckons we should be on a minimum 4 figure fee. All very promising.

They also want to book us for Hogmanay 2025. Jings i might be dead and buried by then :laugh1:

Anyways gear for tonight was my usual Sandberg VM4 into Shure Wireless into Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa SW210/115 cabs.

Dave

image.thumb.png.f082919fe359d4be4aa017e973186132.png

image.thumb.png.aa8b8769271f42dd428045dd04f6bc45.png

Looks like a great stage.

Daryl

• Like 2

On 10/02/2024 at 17:42, casapete said:

My mate Jason used to do the sound at Cafe Indie - was it him there for your band? 

Holly was running the sound.  A young person, and they did a really great job!

• Like 3

Duffy's bar in Leicester on Saturday night. It was rammed and super sweaty. I'd annoyed the sound engineer yet again! This time I moved the drum monitor before he'd arrived. It turned out this monitor was knackered, and rather than fix it, he'd found just the right angle to balance it on a bar stool and keep it working. It'd been working for months apparently! After the show I politely recommended that if he didn't want to fix it, he should put a "do not move" sign on it. 

Anyway, I played without a monitor and it sounded fine on stage. Great gig!

duffys.thumb.jpg.8c06c36788359e27bc6245aebaa0a4bd.jpg

• Like 15

Friday night was a bar gig in Burnley, late start (first set start 10:40), late finish, and as you play on the dance floor in a corner, the second the band finishes and the club music comes on (after 1am) you're breaking down kit surrounded by pisht dancers...an hour home, too, was late night.

I played a Paddy's Day afternoon/early evening gig in a pub in Manchester town centre once (an, erm, 'authentically organic' place (aka 'murky dive'); there was a bloke selling meat from a shopping bag at half time) where the band was split (drummer and me one side, singist the other) because the place was corridor-shaped with bench seating and the bogs were at the back...very disconcerting to have people just walk past backwards and forwards between us during the set. One older bloke went seven times in the first set, and was eventually rewarded with his own dedication to Should I Stay Or Should I Go...

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What's it like playing in a fishtank? Do you get odd sound reflections?

It was quite odd to be honest. My own bass sound was great from the cabs to about 2/3rds out onto the stage and then the bass seemed to disappear and i couldn't hear it at all. Can't say there was any other issues with the on stage sound. They had a great monitor system at front of stage too and i could hear the others very clearly however it did mean we weren't able to hear the FOH sound too well and it was mentioned by other musicians in the audience that guitarist was a bit too low in the mix. On hearing mobile vids it is noticeable that he was a bit lower than we would have with our own PA but not on stage. 

The PA subs (6off) were below the stage almost all the way round and when the SE initially turned them up you could feel the stage vibrate with the bass and he turned them back down a bit again.

Overall it was a decent sound with a decent quality PA.  I've had some SE that have no idea what they're doing and PA has been cheap rubbish. 

Dave

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Looks like a great stage.

Daryl

It was one of the biggest we've played. Lots of space for our singer to bounce about without hitting their heads off guitar headstocks :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Super Bowl Sunday , the old dive was dead. We were snowed out last Sunday but most of the cleanup has been done. We’re getting another Nor’Easter Tuesday night. More snow.

winter fun … 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Two gigs with the seven piece swing/trad band. Last Tuesday was a Jazz at the Junction gig at a Legion hall where we have played several times, the place was full and they were right into the music, no dancing though, the place is too small. I was in some sort of weird place mentally(age and/or long Covid fog ?) but as front man I managed to say what I needed to say and played reasonably well if the recording was accurate. I came home frustrated and depressed with the whole night's performance even though the audience liked it.

On Sunday we played a charity gig at a large (for our part of the world) church to raise money for roof repairs. Lots of stairs and twisty corridors to navigate for load in and out but great acoustics once the audience of about 300 came in and we played well and I was back in the real world and was happy with my performance. It was a strange set up with the band on several levels with a large immovable altar right in the middle and the band spread out with the Bose PA set up behind us, and since only the bass and keyboard use the PA  it was hard to hear the horns on "stage" but it was great for the audience and they loved it.

My bass teacher and another DB player were in the audience and that made me a bit nervous but after the concert he was complimentary, I'll find out what he really thinks at my lesson on Friday.

P1060592.jpg

IMG_0975 2.jpg

• Like 16

12 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

It was one of the biggest we've played. Lots of space for our singer to bounce about without hitting their heads off guitar headstocks :laugh1:

Dave

Dave, In my old age I'm getting more and more picky about stage quality and size.

Daryl

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, In my old age I'm getting more and more picky about stage quality and size.

Daryl

Oddly enough its one of those little things that annoys me too. In our younger years i would literally be happy playing on a postage stamp or at times mixed with the audience but now i just value my own space on stage. I hate when its assumed the bass player just stands at the back next to drums and should be heard but not seen. I'm not a show off when i'm playing but its nice to be at the front when you want to or for little bass breaks that stand out in the songs. I'm actually quite shy and when i was younger it probably suited me better to be standing back a bit. I could never be a bassist who is jumping around with a foot on the monitor kind of thing usually because i'm too busy thinking about what i'm playing LOL

Dave 

• Like 4

On 12/02/2024 at 06:58, tvickey said:

Holly was running the sound.  A young person, and they did a really great job!

Its refreshingly good when you come across a young Sound Engineer who knows what they're doing and is helpful and willing to listen to what the band are saying.

Dave

• Like 4

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Oddly enough its one of those little things that annoys me too. In our younger years i would literally be happy playing on a postage stamp or at times mixed with the audience but now i just value my own space on stage. I hate when its assumed the bass player just stands at the back next to drums and should be heard but not seen. I'm not a show off when i'm playing but its nice to be at the front when you want to or for little bass breaks that stand out in the songs. I'm actually quite shy and when i was younger it probably suited me better to be standing back a bit. I could never be a bassist who is jumping around with a foot on the monitor kind of thing usually because i'm too busy thinking about what i'm playing LOL

Dave 

It's rather nice being in a 'power trio' with some licence to improvise and the space to jmp around while the 'main attraction' is largely tied to his mike 😁

We enjoy some coordinated instrument wagging too!

411940252_7338463849510779_7658069378364996377_n.thumb.jpg.e388bcc9743e3a88b6cf2eef38e3bc4a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's rather nice being in a 'power trio' with some licence to improvise and the space to jmp around while the 'main attraction' is largely tied to his mike 😁

We enjoy some coordinated instrument wagging too!

411940252_7338463849510779_7658069378364996377_n.thumb.jpg.e388bcc9743e3a88b6cf2eef38e3bc4a.jpg

Normally have a wee spell of that guitar shaking over by guitarist side too. I have a wireless system so its easier for me to go to his side. 

I've also gone on walkabout with the singer / guitarist on the last song which is a medley of Loch Lomond and other Scottish themed songs with Shang-a-Lang to finish with guitarist having a free reign with it and i just keep the start of Shang-a-Lang bass going all the way thru with an occasional run down to follow guitarist riff. 

I did end up walking all the way round one of the larger clubs and back thru the dancefloor where i was dragged into photo requests with lots of ladies of varying ages and the occasional wayward bum grope but all in good spirits and just a fun night.

I don't do it very often but our singer does enjoy mixing with our audiences in certain songs.

I get away with it as most people don't recognise me after the gig without all the gear and wigs on. :biggrin:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4