Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

We had a rugby team in on Saturday, and whilst they were good natured, some of their behaviour was bordering on dangerous. Examples include spinning each other round and then shoving them - one guy nearly smashed his head on a steel beam! And also sitting on each others shoulders, one guy started to topple over and I was convinced he was going to break his neck!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, markbunney said:

We had a rugby team in on Saturday, and whilst they were good natured, some of their behaviour was bordering on dangerous. Examples include spinning each other round and then shoving them - one guy nearly smashed his head on a steel beam! And also sitting on each others shoulders, one guy started to topple over and I was convinced he was going to break his neck!

I'm not a fan of these types who assume everyone in the vicinity is on board with their antics, good natured though it may be.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I'm not a fan of these types who assume everyone in the vicinity is on board with their antics, good natured though it may be.

Agreed, I was having to keep one on the PA speaker on my side to make sure no-one crashed into it.

I am constantly tempted at buying a Helix, but then things like this happen and it puts me off as I wouldn't want it to get stamped on, or a beer spilled on it

• Like 1

In a lairy environment I put the Stomp near/under the kit meccano, not out in the open - I don't have to, erm, stomp on it much during songs (only a couple), so access doesn't have to be all that free all the time.

Talking of lairy environments, last Satdy's gig was in a new (to us) venue Burnley way; big pub, been successfully re-launched by a newish landlord - it was rammed when we got there, because the football was on (tho what interest Arsenal and Villa have up that way was debatable), luckily it wasn't a late kick-off, so by the time we were setting up most of the footy types had buggered off and, like last week, been replaced with a more regular pub-going crowd. It all went well, we have several dates for next year, including NYE at a grand for a trio gig, but the landlord was extraordinary: he was all over the place, the life and soul (it's no surprise the place is doing well, he really put a shift in), and he even mucked in carrying the PA and gear out to the cars - I can't recall that ever happening in all the pub gigs I've done...

Best part tho, was when he was apologising for the quietness of the place (as I said, I thought it was busy) and then followed up with: 'You should have been here last night, it were proper bouncing...mind you, there was a bit of trouble...see this?' - he pointed to a long mark just above his eyebrows - 'Two proper vicious lesbians kicked off...got a pool cue broken across me head...'  I burst out laughing, and he looked a little hurt, so I had to backtrack quickly...

So, in conclusion, if you're gigging in Padiham, keep an eye out for those proper vicious lesbians...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

11 hours ago, Devers95 said:

Bit late to it but my original rock band played our end of year headline show over the weekend. Some drunken football hooligan dickheads came for some reason and threw a pint which literally landed in the digital sound desk during the changeover. We sold about 100 tickets too, massive shame.

Many moons ago (I had hair and a much smaller belly) I played a gig in a pub in Nottingham which, before we started, began to fill up with Sheffield Utd fans after their match at Notts County. All was well-ish, until one or two of the braver/more whizzed fans started trying to get up on stage and use the mics. Pete, our roadie, took obvious exception to such loutish behaviour and threw the perpetrators back into the crowd. Things got very very tense very quickly as said bunch of fans tried to decide whether they could take on Pete the roadie and the rest of the band and give us a whipping. We were backed into a large bay window so no handy exit stage left (or right, or anywhere) was available and I was just considering taking off my bass and wielding it like Thor's hammer when, rather like the dorsal fin of a shark on a calm sea, two pointed blue helmets with nice shiny silver badges appeared at the back of the room. The landlord, bless him, had anticipated that these footie fellows might cause a ruck(lol) so had sent out his lad to fetch plod from the beat (yes, it was a loooong time ago). Sighs of relief all round, a quick trip to the loo to change soiled underwear and we played the gig to rapturous applause. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

From experience the good nature can turn nasty if anyone chooses to not participate in the shenanigans. It's pretty much the main reason I stopped playing at uni.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

Best part tho, was when he was apologising for the quietness of the place (as I said, I thought it was busy) and then followed up with: 'You should have been here last night, it were proper bouncing...mind you, there was a bit of trouble...see this?' - he pointed to a long mark just above his eyebrows - 'Two proper vicious lesbians kicked off...got a pool cue broken across me head...'  I burst out laughing, and he looked a little hurt, so I had to backtrack quickly...

So, in conclusion, if you're gigging in Padiham, keep an eye out for those proper vicious lesbians...

If it weren’t so politically incorrect The Proper Vicious Lesbians would be a great band name.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, neepheid said:

Must be nice... :(

Sorry, that meant nothing without context.  I have briefly alluded to it on here (perhaps in the "giving up" thread), but we're having a terrible time finding a new singer for our covers band.  So far nothing but timewasters, wannabes, poseurs and weirdos :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

10 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Sorry, that meant nothing without context.  I have briefly alluded to it on here (perhaps in the "giving up" thread), but we're having a terrible time finding a new singer for our covers band.  So far nothing but timewasters, wannabes, poseurs and weirdos :(

You just gotta keep searching for that right person for you guys. It will happen.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

First time it took a couple of months.

Second time I put a post on FB  and the guy who sang for my brother's first band 35 years ago got in touch the next day! Then we had to wait three weeks as one of our guitarists is recovering from ten broken ribs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

First time it took a couple of months.

Second time I put a post on FB  and the guy who sang for my brother's first band 35 years ago got in touch the next day! Then we had to wait three weeks as one of our guitarists is recovering from ten broken ribs.

Ten broken ribs ? How did he manage that ? Crowd surfing gone wrong ?

Wishing him all the best and for a fast recovery.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, neepheid said:

And sometimes all 4 in one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

He fell off a stable roof onto a concrete slab and his elbow got pushed into his ribcage. Ick.

I would never attempt any work that requires me to go above my gutters and i'm in a bungalow. Bad enough painting the eaves on the Apex of the roof. 

I could never be a roofer, scaffolder or work on anything higher than 5m. 

Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would never attempt any work that requires me to go above my gutters and i'm in a bungalow. Bad enough painting the eaves on the Apex of the roof. 

I could never be a roofer, scaffolder or work on anything higher than 5m. 

Dave

I've been rock climbing and stood at the top of cliffs and mountains without a qualm. Put me on a ladder or balcony... 😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Last night was our work Christmas Do. After the main event a few of us went on to the Apple and Parrot. It was Wednesday jam night. One of my work mates plays drums, so we joined in for a few songs. One of my other work mates plays guitar but wasn't able to be there last night, so was a bit gutted to have missed out. A fun way to end the evening.

IMG-20231214-WA0001.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, asingardenof said:

No matter where I'm up high, I always get that intrusive thought "go on, just jump". No idea where that comes from, but it is always there.

Have you ever just jumped to see what happens ? 

Best trying it from a kerb first to get a feel for it. :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4