Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gonna be fun getting to our Edinburgh gig tonight. Both singers in Bathgate and Boness have about 3-4" snow this morning. 

Happy days.

Dave

Just enough down to be greasy , I hope you have winter tires.

Drive safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BillyBass said:

But, the start of the second set does sometimes seem like a struggle to get the crowd back into it again, if they haven't left!

Last couple of gigs we have played straight through to try and avoid the loss of crowd at half time.

I did notice my hand hurting a bit during the “second set” songs and was worried I was going to get cramp, but it worked out ok.

We did have to do an impromptu version of Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) as drummer needed the toilet, so I think we might go back to having a quick break next time.

• Like 4

Just got in from a short set gig. Was a mates surprise 40th birthday do and although there was a band booked his missus asked if a few of his old mates would do a few songs. She asked this last week!

So 4 of us said yes, bass, drums, 2 gtrs, shared vox amongst us. We had 2 rehearsals, only 1 with the drummer who hurt his ankle last week (not good). We put together a 40min set of classic rock songs and am pleased to say it went really well, to the point where many in the audience (most of whom are old mates) said we should keep it going and we all feel the same which is great. A few timing issues but fortunately all of us are experienced enough to know “ok, add another 2 bars” rather than fall apart. I really enjoyed it.

• Like 15

Tonight:
Depping on Sousaphone for a roaming/street brass band type thing at a fire festival in a park in Preston.
Outside, in Preston. On the coldest night of the year. As you do.

Me on Sousa, trumpet, alto sax and drums (marching drums type setup).
Haven't played Sousy in public for a while, AND the guy on trumpet was their usual Sousa player, so I was pretty nervous... turned out to be an absolute hoot, the most fun I've had in ages.
There were loads of people there, they all loved it, the band are all great players and lovely fellers, we sounded good and went down a treat.

We did a real mix of stuff - couple of christmas numbers, a couple of trad jazz numbers, King of the swingers, Bear necessities, Seven nation army, I wanna dance with somebody... a real mix!
Everything was in Bb, F or C (good brass keys) and mostly stuff I knew/could busk or three chord wonders.

It wasn't as cold as I'd feared it would be, I even did both sets without a coat on because I'm a big brave boy.

Two 40 minute sets, decent cup of tea and white chocolate & cranberry tiffin at half time, done by 9 and back at me dear old Ma's in Manchester by 10, good payer, and the band liked what I did so I'm on the dep list.

For those of you interested in my feet, I wore two pairs of socks and my cow print DMs which also went down a treat.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

No bass for me today. Tonight's gig was outdoors at a foggy -2˚C morris dancing at a Christmas market. I would have been playing piano accordion but with the weather that stayed at home and I took a plastic recorder and did the best I could with stiffening finger joints and condensation in the instrument. It went down well enough though.

Skiing thermals underneath, chemical heat packs in my pockets to pop my hands in between songs, and hot chocolate between sets saw me through.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Our singer struggles with a set longer than 45 minutes and his voice needs at least a 30 minute break between sets.  Our songs are punk/indie/rock and are often a bit shouty.  He is worried he has done a bit of damage to his vocal chords.

But, the start of the second set does sometimes seem like a struggle to get the crowd back into it again, if they haven't left!

Our singer was taking sips of honey tonight before at break and at the end as his throat was struggling a bit.

Dave

• Like 2

First Xmas show tonight with BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band at a sold out Longstone Hearts Club in Edinburgh.

Great night. Few wee mistakes crept in for some odd reason. Xmas songs went well tho.

Quite a small stage for us and had to watch where i was standing as i had my pedals in front of me and guitarists pedal behind me. Also had a the PA cab on my left next to headstock but all went well and didn't trip over anything or thump the bass of PA.

Few pics on FB already but no vids as yet.

Here we go.

SET #1

image.thumb.png.190587551913b0105cc286ba9c24ee28.png

SET #2

image.thumb.png.77dd4ec570d6e73e8a1b95b6c58087f9.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 18

Nice Christmas event last night, another only wanting the 6 piece, male singer not available so the client just asked for one vocalist (my wife) but she managed to navigate the set ok, including a multiple personality disorder version of Fairytale of New York, which went down an absolute storm.

We only had the small HK elements PA so I beefed it up with an actual real amp, must admit it was fun having that at my back. Best bit was having our ‘winter’ drummer back, a really good musician who tour manages for a living so isn’t available all the time. A joyous experience, he can play. 

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4058.jpeg

• Like 14

With the Daz Kelly Band at The King William in Milford, Derbyshire. Dave, the landlord likes us and we had an appreciative crowd in spite of the weather. It’s an old, cosy pub serving good ale but on a tricky double bend of the A6, no car park and only one narrow door in and out. Only a 10 minute drive though. I played my @Andyjr1515 Swift Lite through a TE Elf and Bareface One 10, which was totally adequate for the venue.

I managed to get home for a whiskey before the snow started, too.

BFA390D3-5745-4020-BCF3-415A3B9BC551.jpeg

Edited by Len_derby
  • Like 16

11 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

Sousaphone is good for Morris Dancing.
I speak from bitter experience..

Our band is mandolin+accordion+drum. Some times I do melody plus simple root-chord oom-pah bass patterns, but sometimes I leave the melody to the mandolin and focus on more complex bass lines. Sousaphone or tuba on the bass... now that would something!

Edited by Rosie C
Clarity!
  • Like 4

At The Loft in Cleckheaton near Bradford last night. The band have played here before but it has had a change of ownership since last time so instead of being greeted like returning friends we got the usual indifference any other hand would get. Ho hum.

We had to provide our own PA and managed to provide the services of a relative of our drummist to do the sound for us and it sounded mint. Despite turning down the volume on the monitor me and our keyboardist shared my ears are still ringing this morning, so possibly time to invest in some hearing protection for next time we're in such a large place.

First set wasn't brilliant but went down OK. We all made a few mistakes but nothing too serious. I got distracted by watching a trio of young women dancing enthusiastically at the front and their attempts to fend off the advances of a similar sized group of drunken lads who were trying to pull them. The second set was much better and we had most of the place up and dancing to the end.

Plugged my ABM in for the first time since April, DI'd through the PA as well as going through through my Two10S, and it sounded awesome. I'm a bit broken this morning after helping to get all the PA stuff out last night, but a gentle morning of Christmas shopping beckons.

PXL_20231202_200630165.thumb.jpg.fe13c48d8636fef8e261655491f3d734.jpg

PXL_20231202_192412076.thumb.jpg.2e744b56ad69a301d1157eb157054db6.jpg

• Like 15

57 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

With the Daz Kelly Band at The King William in Milford, Derbyshire. Dave, the landlord likes us and we had an appreciative crowd in spite of the weather. It’s an old, cosy pub serving good ale but on a tricky double bed of the A6, no car park and only one narrow door in and out. Only a 10 minute drive though. I played my @Andyjr1515 Swift Lite through a TE Elf and Bareface One 10, which was totally adequate for the venue.

Nice bass. what is it ?

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Plugged my ABM in for the first time since April, DI'd through the PA as well as going through through my Two10S, and it sounded awesome. I'm a bit broken this morning after helping to get all the PA stuff out last night, but a gentle morning of Christmas shopping beckons.

PXL_20231202_200630165.thumb.jpg.fe13c48d8636fef8e261655491f3d734.jpg

PXL_20231202_192412076.thumb.jpg.2e744b56ad69a301d1157eb157054db6.jpg

Can you hear your Two10 when it is in landscape mode, or were you relying on your monitor? I find I have to have mine in portrait and even then I can’t hear it if space is tight and I am right on top of it. The sound seems to go passed my legs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice bass. what is it ?

Dave

Dave, it’s a custom job made by our @Andyjr1515. If you want to know more there’s an old thread in the Build Diaries top called ‘A build for our own Len_derby’.

I took it out last night because Andy only lives 10 minutes from the pub and there was a chance he might come. But he’s a busy lad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Dave, it’s a custom job made by our @Andyjr1515. If you want to know more there’s an old thread in the Build Diaries top called ‘A build for our own Len_derby’.

I took it out last night because Andy only lives 10 minutes from the pub and there was a chance he might come. But he’s a busy lad. 

Cheers for that i'll have a wee look altho i'm not in the market for any new basses altho a red Sandberg VM4 would be nice.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scalpy said:

Nice Christmas event last night, another only wanting the 6 piece, male singer not available so the client just asked for one vocalist (my wife) but she managed to navigate the set ok, including a multiple personality disorder version of Fairytale of New York, which went down an absolute storm.

We only had the small HK elements PA so I beefed it up with an actual real amp, must admit it was fun having that at my back. Best bit was having our ‘winter’ drummer back, a really good musician who tour manages for a living so isn’t available all the time. A joyous experience, he can play. 

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4058.jpeg

Is that a G&L bass?

• Like 3

Solo acoustic gig at the Organ Grinder in Loughborough. Surprised to find it was really busy despite the weather. People came and went throughout the evening but all up for a sing along.

Then just towards the end of my second set an influx of about 50 students in antlers and Christmas jumpers piled in so I did the decent thing and launched into non-stop singalong cheesy tunes and the place erupted. It was brilliant, and slightly deafening. 

Had a great night of it. Voice is a bit of a mess this morning and fingertips are killing but it’s all for a good cause. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

Can you hear your Two10 when it is in landscape mode, or were you relying on your monitor? I find I have to have mine in portrait and even then I can’t hear it if space is tight and I am right on top of it. The sound seems to go passed my legs.

I could hear it fine and I wasn't in my own monitor – I'd have left the amp in the car otherwise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Len_derby said:

With the Daz Kelly Band at The King William in Milford, Derbyshire. Dave, the landlord likes us and we had an appreciative crowd in spite of the weather. It’s an old, cosy pub serving good ale but on a tricky double bed of the A6, no car park and only one narrow door in and out. Only a 10 minute drive though. I played my @Andyjr1515 Swift Lite through a TE Elf and Bareface One 10, which was totally adequate for the venue.

And @Andyjr1515 was supposed to be there heckling, too!!!

Very sorry to have missed it, @Len_derby - as I flagged up to Daz, I was losing control of the day from fairly early on (yes - no change there!) 

Next time!! :D 

• Like 2