Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I had some foreboding about tonight’s gig, the communications between the band leader and venue had been vague and it didn’t appear that much promotion had been done by the venue. Just before leaving, I received a message saying ‘small stage’, which didn’t help my expectations. However, it was rather good, only enough room on stage for the drums and backline, but not really an issue and the load in was really easy. We had hoped for more bums on seats, but it wasn’t too bad really, we played well and there was a fair bit of jigging around by the punters and some nice comments. I took my fairly new Squier 40th Anniversary P bass for its first gig outing and it excelled! The pickups seem quite rude and raunchy, which I like and it sat in the mix perfectly, it’s a keeper (we’ve heard that before ;)), I took a backup bass, given the new P was an untested quantity, but it was not required. All in all, rather splendid.

• Like 18

Tonight:  Maiden voyage for a new band!
Technically the same band but with an added female singer and a new (and very different) setlist.
Went really well, considering we were playing Beyonce, Britney, Dua Lipa, Rhianna, Whitney type stuff to a pub mostly full of drunken blokes that had come to watch Rugby and then some Boxing.
Couple of rough edges that we'll sort with a couple more gigs, but we had a lot of fun and sounded great.

I was ampless (the ONE TIME you don't check the spare Bass amp is in the van...) which wasn't ideal, but the IEMs did OK.

On a personal note - I played a 5 String in public for the first time in about 25 years and... the homework paid off.
Can't say I didn't drop a note, but I did pretty well IMHO.

As we were packing up, the drummer said (out of nowhere) "You're an absolute dude, I f***ing love gigging with you" and the Boss said words to the effect of "well. you're always on it", so I'm happy with that!

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Like 18

The Oxjam Festival in Beeston, Nottingham. Playing with the Daz Kelly Band at the Bendigo Lounge. A large and full bar; not everyone was there for the music but there was enough appreciative folk to make it worthwhile. It was a five minute walk from the car park but we were using the house PA and I’d only got a bass, Elf and a Barefaced 10 to carry. We had a few friends and family turn up and my one drink was bought me by my son-in-law. An over-priced, over-chilled craft ale. 😆

53C49D7E-83D4-43AF-B788-B6F4593EE397.jpeg

Edited by Len_derby
  • Like 14

Last night was a punk gig with Emergency Exit in Graeme Hotel in Falkirk. 

Not the best night i've had. With us not gigging this band as often as we used to the mistakes are creeping in and there were quite a few last night.

Its very annoying for me as we previously made very few mistakes if any so rehearsals will now be booked between gigs.

Did a couple of new SLF songs. Gotta Getaway went pretty well and punk fans really appreciated that one.

Nobody's Hero by SLF was ok but something went a bit off around 3rd verse. Still not sure what happened but i seemed to lose my way a bit but picked it up again. Audience still thought it was good. This was only the 2nd time we've attempted it without rehearsals but we should be better. 

Its an odd venue. I always feel like i'm just the jukebox in the corner every time i play there. Its a footie bar and most of the audience are run overs from those watching football all afternoon so they just happen to be there rather than there for you. Singer reckoned it was like pulling teeth trying to get a reaction. Personally i would rather just avoid this venue but a gigs a gig as they say.

Dave

• Like 14

56 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Last night watched Albert Lee in Kinross and he returns the compliment tonight. 

Actually drove through Biggar to get here. A very nice town. It was a diversion so no ability to arrange to say hi. Would have been good to meet and shake your hand. 

WOW that's a bit of a drive for you Steve. Was he not playing anywhere closer to you. ?

Altho my address has Biggar as main town i'm 6 miles outside Biggar on way to Lanark so maybe a little out of your way but you would always be welcome to drop in for a coffee and a chat Steve.

How was the gig. ?

Dave

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I'm on a tour with Greg Douglass, the guitar player with Steve Miller. We're at Kinross tonight and tomorrow and travelled up from Hull yesterday. Albert was playing last night and is coming to our gig tonight. 

Gotta wonder how you ended up thru Biggar heading from Hull to Kinross all on the East Coast. ?

All the best with the gig tonight.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played a smallish venue at Withernsea last night...pain in the derrière to get to as you can’t avoid going through Hull and the never ending roadworks are, well, never ending. Strange layout, long and thin with rooms off to the side. Couldn’t crank it up too loud as you’d deafen the punters at the front which meant the back of the place was a bit quiet. Despite it being ‘off season’ the place was packed and up and dancing from the off. The Landy was well chuffed and even made between spot sarnies.  It’s a bit of a trek but worth it with this kind of reaction so hopefully we’ll be back there sometime in the new year.

One thing, another one of them small stages which was a challenge but apparently the previous week’s band had been a 5pc with keys...god knows how they managed it 🤪......smallness demonstrated with pre first spot pic of drummer waiting out the ubiquitous bingo.539D9494-5398-48B0-B217-FC16CAD49C8C.thumb.jpeg.c63e0f1f38ebf3bacf89074f2c1b7458.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 15

That was the other issue last night with us. From the outset we were asked to keep the volume down. It was so low my speakers weren't really doing much and sounded a bit dead. For a punk band it just didn't feel right and few friends said it was far too low.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Played a smallish venue at Withernsea last night...pain in the derrière to get to as you can’t avoid going through Hull and the never ending roadworks are, well, never ending. Strange layout, long and thin with rooms off to the side. Couldn’t crank it up too loud as you’d deafen the punters at the front which meant the back of the place was a bit quiet. Despite it being ‘off season’ the place was packed and up and dancing from the off. The Landy was well chuffed and even made between spot sarnies.  It’s a bit of a trek but worth it with this kind of reaction so hopefully we’ll be back there sometime in the new year.

One thing, another one of them small stages which was a challenge but apparently the previous week’s band had been a 5pc with keys...god knows how they managed it 🤪......smallness demonstrated with pre first spot pic of drummer waiting out the ubiquitous bingo.539D9494-5398-48B0-B217-FC16CAD49C8C.thumb.jpeg.c63e0f1f38ebf3bacf89074f2c1b7458.jpeg

Not a happy looking drummer there :laugh1: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gotta wonder how you ended up thru Biggar heading from Hull to Kinross all on the East Coast. ?

Believe it or not Dave , when we go to east Scotland it’s usually quicker going up the A1, then across

the A66 to Penrith and then north on the M6/M74 etc. Going all the way on the A1 to Edinburgh looks

like it should be quicker but some of it is single lane with a 50mph limit for vans. 
My band is in Dundee this Thursday and we’ll be heading there via the same route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Withernsea can be a drag to get to Mart. Hull’s roadworks are going on for years yet, building a new intersection

by the Marina. Once it’s done you’ll be able to whizz straight through to Withernsea though! Would have liked

to come and see your band, but family health stuff meant I was unable to. Hopefully catch you soon.

All the best, Pete.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I'm on a tour with Greg Douglass, the guitar player with Steve Miller. We're at Kinross tonight and tomorrow and travelled up from Hull yesterday. Albert was playing last night and is coming to our gig tonight. 

How do the Hull gig go Steve? Nice venue The Wrecking Ball, putting on some great stuff.

Albert is a class act, seen him many times both playing with his own and other bands. 
Great he’s still out there doing it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, casapete said:

Going all the way on the A1 to Edinburgh looks

like it should be quicker but some of it is single lane with a 50mph limit for vans.

I remember doing London NW2 to Romannobridge just south of Edinburgh on my old Yamaha TR1 up the A1, then A68, in five and a half hours, with 2 stops for fuel! That was in the days long before speedcameras and gave me an average speed of just inside the motorway speedlimit. I was knacked, mind, especially as the bicycle was unfaired!

I suspect nowadays you'd have to add 2 hours to that!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Last night was a punk gig with Emergency Exit in Graeme Hotel in Falkirk. 

Not the best night i've had. With us not gigging this band as often as we used to the mistakes are creeping in and there were quite a few last night.

Its very annoying for me as we previously made very few mistakes if any so rehearsals will now be booked between gigs.

Did a couple of new SLF songs. Gotta Getaway went pretty well and punk fans really appreciated that one.

Nobody's Hero by SLF was ok but something went a bit off around 3rd verse. Still not sure what happened but i seemed to lose my way a bit but picked it up again. Audience still thought it was good. This was only the 2nd time we've attempted it without rehearsals but we should be better. 

Its an odd venue. I always feel like i'm just the jukebox in the corner every time i play there. Its a footie bar and most of the audience are run overs from those watching football all afternoon so they just happen to be there rather than there for you. Singer reckoned it was like pulling teeth trying to get a reaction. Personally i would rather just avoid this venue but a gigs a gig as they say.

Dave

Played there with Emergency Exit before lockdown and it was pretty mixed. Great feedback from local punk fans who turned out and punters in the room seemed to enjoy it! I was back in last December and it was as you described...punters in for the football and some stayed. Some others in for a meal and really did not want any music! In fact they got a bit whizzed off when we asked them to move away from the pa! Also folk dropping in for one drink on a pub crawl. I think although it has been one of the music venues in Falkirk from the old day's that still put music on it's trying to be a sports bar,restaurant and music venue and it isn't really working! The volume is an issue because of the layout. We were contacted about getting booked this year but I was a bit late in getting back to them and got hee haw! I think that was maybe for the best! One of my mates bands are playing there very shortly and I know for a fact that they will blow the roof off volume wise!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Believe it or not Dave , when we go to east Scotland it’s usually quicker going up the A1, then across

the A66 to Penrith and then north on the M6/M74 etc. Going all the way on the A1 to Edinburgh looks

My band is in Dundee this Thursday and we’ll be heading there via the same route.

To be honest when i'm heading home from East coast i never go past Newcastle depending on where i've been so i don't really know the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh area. When you look at the route on the map it does make sense using the 66 rather than following the coast to Edinburgh.

Only thing i would say is that the road from Biggar to Edinburgh always seems to have a lot of roadworks more so in recent years so i cut across country to M8 at Bathgate and head North from there over Forth Bridge.

Dave

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, theplumber said:

Played there with Emergency Exit before lockdown and it was pretty mixed. Great feedback from local punk fans who turned out and punters in the room seemed to enjoy it! I was back in last December and it was as you described...punters in for the football and some stayed. Some others in for a meal and really did not want any music! In fact they got a bit whizzed off when we asked them to move away from the pa! Also folk dropping in for one drink on a pub crawl. I think although it has been one of the music venues in Falkirk from the old day's that still put music on it's trying to be a sports bar,restaurant and music venue and it isn't really working! The volume is an issue because of the layout. We were contacted about getting booked this year but I was a bit late in getting back to them and got hee haw! I think that was maybe for the best! One of my mates bands are playing there very shortly and I know for a fact that they will blow the roof off volume wise!!!

Dead Flowers by any chance as i saw the venue list of bands this month and November.

Its one of those venues that just depresses you Stevie.

Dave

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I remember doing London NW2 to Romannobridge just south of Edinburgh on my old Yamaha TR1 up the A1, then A68, in five and a half hours, with 2 stops for fuel! That was in the days long before speedcameras and gave me an average speed of just inside the motorway speedlimit. I was knacked, mind, especially as the bicycle was unfaired!

I suspect nowadays you'd have to add 2 hours to that!

Romano Bridge isn't that far from me. Nice little area too.

The 68 was a great road for bikes but fixed speed cameras are a nuisance these days.

Did Biggar to Dover in 9hrs, 2 up and fully loaded Harley heading for France. When we left early morning glorious sunshine and warm the M74 was so quiet we just thought we would make the best of it but my wife ended up feeling queezy until we realised the bike was undulating on the road due to the speed and fully loaded almost like seasickness. Slowed down to legal limits sort of and she was fine. As soon as she stepped off the bike she was perfect so it was really weird and the only time its ever happened to her. She has fell asleep a few times on the back in all weathers including torrential rain and gusting sidewinds. 

These days i stick to dry sunny days on the bike. Its an age thing. :laugh1:

PS it took me 13hrs on way home from Dover during the Kent storms and flooding mid 2000's.

Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

How do the Hull gig go Steve? Nice venue The Wrecking Ball, putting on some great stuff.

Albert is a class act, seen him many times both playing with his own and other bands. 
Great he’s still out there doing it. 

It was a good gig. It is a really nice venue, although there was trepidation on seeing the stairs. 

Albert is great. Just as agile around the fingerboard and singing very well too. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Withernsea can be a drag to get to Mart. Hull’s roadworks are going on for years yet, building a new intersection

by the Marina. Once it’s done you’ll be able to whizz straight through to Withernsea though! Would have liked

to come and see your band, but family health stuff meant I was unable to. Hopefully catch you soon.

All the best, Pete.

No worries Pete, I think we’ll be back there next year. We don’t do many out that way, we were asked to do some holiday camp work out Hornsea/Skipsea way but we were booked all the dates they wanted. Hope everything is ok with you and yours mate.

• Like 2