Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First time playing in Ely Saturday night, I was unsure how it would go as having recently joined this band a couple of members aren't that confident. 

Couldn't have asked for a better reaction, the crowd were into it from the very beginning and gave us more and more confidence as the night went on. 

Yesterday's gig was a little different, different band (only play with these guys as they are friends and a bit of fun) starting at 1pm, first set went ok apart from having to transpose everything up a tone on the fly in the first number..

Second set not so much, couple of the older guys play keys with some automated one key trigger stuff (don't ask) and the guitarist has never grasped unity gain on his assortment of pedals, add to that drinking a fair bit because they don't play out much. I just sat back and locked in with the drummer..

• Like 9

Couple of shows at Greenman festival over the weekend, one a mini show for some TV/social media thing and a full show on the Sunday. The Ampeg sounded awesome behind me and stage sound was pretty perfect. Nice big crowd, good weather and a lot of fun 😊

IMG-20230821-WA0015.jpg

PXL_20230820_125004194.jpg

• Like 13

On 20/08/2023 at 00:24, ezbass said:

Already home from the gig and it was an hour’s drive away. 6:45 start and we were done and dusted at 10:00, proper civilised if you ask me. 

We have a gig starting at 6 on Sunday, so I reckon I'll be home by 9.30. It's not right, I tell you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

We have a gig starting at 6 on Sunday, so I reckon I'll be home by 9.30. It's not right, I tell you.

I like a midday gig, best of all. No hanging around looking at your watch to see if it's time leave yet, get up, ablutions, breakfast, pack and go. Then it's home before 6 and time to do anything you fancy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yep love those Sunday afternoon club gigs with the Glam covers band. Usually well attended and always a great audience participation. Home by 6-7pm what's not to like about that.

Dave

Exactly,  I was home before 9:00 Saturday night. A buddy of mine had a late night wedding gig, 9-1. He didn't get home until 2:30.

Daryl

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Exactly,  I was home before 9:00 Saturday night. A buddy of mine had a late night wedding gig, 9-1. He didn't get home until 2:30.

Daryl

Our gig on Sat was an early start for a Sat at 7:30 and due to finish 10:15pm because of noise complaints from neighbours. Here's me expecting to be home easily for 12pm. We ended up finishing at 10:30pm at request of audience to carry on. Everything packed up and loaded by 11:15pm. Had to sit around for approx 30mins until 11:45 before we got paid and bar was completely empty. I was expecting to be home for midnight but almost 1am. Its only an hours drive for me too.

The things we do for enjoyment. Its a great wee venue that we play regularly and i'm not sure how long she's going to be able to keep putting bands on. 

It annoys me when people move next door to a bar that has live music and then complain about noise. They now have an excuse that due to pandemic they got used to weekends being quiet.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our gig on Sat was an early start for a Sat at 7:30 and due to finish 10:15pm because of noise complaints from neighbours. Here's me expecting to be home easily for 12pm. We ended up finishing at 10:30pm at request of audience to carry on. Everything packed up and loaded by 11:15pm. Had to sit around for approx 30mins until 11:45 before we got paid and bar was completely empty. I was expecting to be home for midnight but almost 1am. Its only an hours drive for me too.

The things we do for enjoyment. Its a great wee venue that we play regularly and i'm not sure how long she's going to be able to keep putting bands on. 

It annoys me when people move next door to a bar that has live music and then complain about noise. They now have an excuse that due to pandemic they got used to weekends being quiet.

Dave

Dave,

We haven't completely escaped late night gigs. It seems that way because we're in fair & festival season, where most gigs are outside with early hours. 

The winter months are another story.

Daryl

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Oh, f those people.

• Like 3

On 20/08/2023 at 13:14, ezbass said:

Does this mean that you used the Sandy for the next set? If so, how did they compare?

Sorry, just saw this. Yes I used the Sandberg for the other set. The first major difference is the weight. The Sandberg is just under 7 1/2lbs and the Fender is just over 8 1/2lbs. It's no boat anchor by any means but I did notice the difference. 

Playability-wise there wasn't much in it and they are both a joy to play. The Fender sounds better than the Sandberg to my ears with both pickups on and the tone wound back a bit. The Sandberg still sounds a bit sterile and really lacks the low mids I associate with P Basses. I'm going to change the Sandberg pickup very soon to see if it makes much difference.

On balance I'd be happy to take either out to gig with as both really are exceptional instruments made to the highest quality. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The Sandberg still sounds a bit sterile and really lacks the low mids I associate with P Basses

This echos what I experienced with my old Sandy VM, a shame for such brilliantly built basses.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I've got five gigs and a rehearsal (three different bands) in five days starting tomorrow...today I shall be resting as much as possible (working from home)...

WOW just WOW All the very best with them.

I personally couldn't do that many gigs as my finger tips would be leaking fluid when my blisters burst altho when i was gigging regularly few mths back i had no issues. Things have quietened down a bit this last month but picking up again soon.

Still 5 gigs and a rehearsal in five days would kill me at my age. 

Impressed tho.

Have fun and enjoy cause that's what its all about.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

I've got five gigs and a rehearsal (three different bands) in five days starting tomorrow...today I shall be resting as much as possible (working from home)...

… and just like that you come out the other end and it’s over. The time will go fast.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Living the dream. Enjoy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

You guys that are gigging that frequently must have very understanding “ better half’s “ !!! 

Im restricted to around two gigs per month and a weekly rehearsal !!! 

Funnily enough, it's the two singletons in my band who are the hardest to pin down for rehearsals and gigs. The married ones are more reliable.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Haha 2

I should add that SWMBO is fully on board with it - the cash helps (got a Boy heading off to Uni in three weeks)... 😀

As far as wear and tear goes, I'm 60 next year, but a combination of Elixirs and mostly pick playing keeps that under control (and inears and minimal backline to shift), and I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy all of it...even if a lie-down now and then is required (not onstage, obv...) 🙂

The setlists have some overlap (tho there's key shifts from one to another, too), but 70-odd songs to be remembering how to play bob on is the toughest bit...

• Like 5