Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 hours ago, Rosie C said:

Today's gig - playing as part of a weekend-long fundraiser for Noah’s Ark children’s hospital . I'm loving how (a) I look about 6" taller than everyone else in the band  (b) I've been captured in a rare "playing beyond the 4th fret" moment  :) 

This is likely my last outing in a rock covers band. I've done all the gigs I signed up for, but heading in a more acoustic direction now.

party at the picc - 1.jpeg

Nice Pic!

Blue

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Boodang said:

Well, vocalists aren’t the only ones who can talk into a microphone! We have the same issue but our keyboard player and backing vocalist are like a double act and it goes down well. 

We're lucky. Jenny is awesome with banter and connecting with the crowd. People love her.

Blue

• Like 1

We were in Glasgow last night, one of my favourite cities and also one of my favourite venues,

The King’s Theatre. Opened in 1904, it seats nearly 1800 on four levels, and we had over 1300 

in so felt great and full of atmosphere. Crowd were well up for it from the first song, and the 

onstage sound was loud due to having a PA stack next to me! A really enjoyable gig, my last

one for 2 weeks though - due to a family thing I’m unable to play at a festival gig next week,

so I have put a dep in (first time ever in over 12 years!). Back with the band at Buxton Opera

House on September 2nd, another superb old venue. 

(Also had a dep cellist with us last night, Ayla from Glasgow who did a great job despite

never having heard of ELO!).

28522bdf-023b-4e1c-8cfd-40ba099bf0a6.jpeg

ef894fcc-0b4d-4aff-91f1-ba3c2ba035b1.jpeg

4488aea4-c6be-493d-8993-ea57b54d1b24.jpeg

Edited by casapete
Update
  • Like 21

42 minutes ago, casapete said:

We were in Glasgow last night, one of my favourite cities and also one of my favourite venues,

The King’s Theatre. Opened in 1904, it seats nearly 1800 on four levels, and we had over 1300 

in so felt great and full of atmosphere. Crowd were well up for it from the first song, and the 

onstage sound was loud due to having a PA stack next to me! A really enjoyable gig, my last

one for 2 weeks though - due to a family thing I’m unable to play at a festival gig next week,

so I have put a dep in (first time ever in over 12 years!). Back with the band at Buxton Opera

(Also had a dep cellist with us last night, Isla from Glasgow who did a great job despite

First dep in 12 years deserves a tip of the hat!👏

• Like 5

Almondbury cricket club last night, compact and bijou but we adjusted the set up to make it work. I had one of those ‘sausage fingers’ nights which isn’t normal for me but managed to disguise the gaffs and we got plenty of compliments at the end and a couple of enquiries from other local venues. As there had been a match on we were treat to some great Indian food before the first set - bonus. I leave you with an artistic shot of the famous twin towers of Huddersfield!IMG_1228.thumb.jpeg.0a53a74961824ce2cdf7a997f858959e.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jo.gwillim said:

Which is the new one? I've just this minute put fralin p's on my Sandberg, can't believe how much more i like it..... Until i change my mind if course! Hope you find a bright spark in the crowd, only takes one or two to make the world of difference.

The Fender Mike (Wayne) Kerr is the new one. The Sandberg is currently all stock but I think I'll change the pickup too and am (at the moment) swaying towards the EMG Geezer Butler one but have had Fralins before so would be interested in your views. Did you just replace the pickup or the loom too? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ezbass said:

Already home from the gig and it was an hour’s drive away. 6:45 start and we were done and dusted at 10:00, proper civilised if you ask me. Great venue in Dundee (Number 57), they have their own PA with remote, tablet control mixer (no being told to turn down here, not our problem). Seemed like a good mix and the customers were in fine form and looking forward to hearing us. I think we gave them a good show, as they were very complimentary. I really enjoyed it, despite the limited space for the band, nice staff (this seems to be a feature of the Dundee gigs I’ve played) and a happy landlord. I’d happily play there again.

Agree on the Dundee audiences. They do seem to have an enthusiastic attitude to live bands. They just love live music by looks of it. 

Dave

• Like 3

Emergency Exit punk covers band in one of our regular bar gig in Dumfries at The Riverside. As always it was a great night with a decent sized and enthusiastic audience. We had a local Ramones fan and guest singer for one of their songs which was good fun altho we changed the key for our female singer and i think he struggled to reach the higher notes in some areas. Our own singer Lynn covered those bits with him so all good.

After the gig we were asked if we would be interested in doing a local festival next year so that was good.

This was taken at sound check and we even got a cheer and round of applause doing the sound check which is always a nice feeling. 

We even had a couple that travelled from Gretna to the gig. They booked a taxi for 11pm to get home at £50. I remembered them form last time we played there.

Sold 8 of our new T shirts last night too as modelled by our singer in the pic below.

Early start 7:30pm finished 10:30 with 15min break

Dave

image.thumb.png.2228e728cb2e476e96a34317be6e61dc.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 16

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

managed to disguise the gaffs and we got plenty of compliments

This seems to happen a lot, you think you or the band haven't been on point, yet folk from the audience are inversely complimentary; go figure.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

We have the same issue with our singer unfortunately. She's a phenomenal singer and we've won many a gig because on her voice, but her "banter" is almost non-existent and if the gig is quiet in terms of audience feedback she clams up entirely. 

We've got a double-header this weekend: tonight at a campsite/caravan park bar which is usually very lively (think Mos Eisley with gore tex) and an afternoon slot at a popular pub. It's likely to be a quiet one though with the football and the local County Show on too, but I'm sure we'll make the most of it and I am planning on using my new toy for at least half the set. 

IMG_0043.jpeg

So gig number one last night was a blast. The weather was atrocious which meant the bar was heaving. Due to the bar's flat roof the ceiling actually sprang a few leaks and it's the first time I've gigged with a rain bucket next to my pedalboard. 

The audience was really up for a good night which helped and we had dancers almost from the get go. Everyone played really well and I had a few nice compliments about my playing too. 

I used the new Fender for the first set and it played really well. All in all a good night and now on to the afternoon gig today. 

• Like 11

A couple of gigs this weekend.

Sound was good and we were tight both nights but had router problems with the desk. First night started with the wrong one plugged in, second night it didn’t work so had to be swapped so both setups had their stresses.

Second night there’s been something going on with management changes and we are told that the regulars are siding with the old manager and boycotting the pub at the moment, we’ll that’s what we’ll  console ourselves with anyway 🤷‍♂️

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I used the new Fender for the first set and it played really well. All in all a good night and now on to the afternoon gig today. 

Does this mean that you used the Sandy for the next set? If so, how did they compare?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

The Fender Mike (Wayne) Kerr is the new one. The Sandberg is currently all stock but I think I'll change the pickup too and am (at the moment) swaying towards the EMG Geezer Butler one but have had Fralins before so would be interested in your views. Did you just replace the pickup or the loom too? 

My Sandberg is an active VM. The humbucker is not very useful tbh, i don't even blend it with the p very much. I wasn't sure whether it was the pickup or preamp i didn't like, so just changed the pickup as a first port of call. Turns out the the preamp wasn't the problem. It always seemed to me the the Sandberg pickup had good lows and good highs but the bit in between seemed dead. The fralins are much better balanced throughout the range and make the on board EQ a lot more useful. I can't say they work too well with the humbucker but that's not a worry for me. I might take it out and save a bit of weight. I'm not very experienced with other pickups, i bought a bass with fralins in and changed them for norstrands which are great, but wish i hadn't so I'm glad to have the fralins back in use again. Happy experimenting!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Agree on the Dundee audiences. They do seem to have an enthusiastic attitude to live bands. They just love live music by looks of it. 

Dave

Absolutely. We play at The Caird Hall and it’s always a great audience there. 
(We’ll next be there on Thursday 19th October.)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ezbass said:

Already home from the gig and it was an hour’s drive away. 6:45 start and we were done and dusted at 10:00, proper civilised if you ask me. Great venue in Dundee (Number 57), they have their own PA with remote, tablet control mixer (no being told to turn down here, not our problem). Seemed like a good mix and the customers were in fine form and looking forward to hearing us. I think we gave them a good show, as they were very complimentary. I really enjoyed it, despite the limited space for the band, nice staff (this seems to be a feature of the Dundee gigs I’ve played) and a happy landlord. I’d happily play there again.

But was there Dundee cake?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, casapete said:

(Also had a dep cellist with us last night, Isla from Glasgow who did a great job despite

WOW!

BLUE

• Like 1

Two gigs to remember last week - first one was on Thursday at the Gillingham & Shaftesbury agricultural show, playing from 12:30 to 14:30 - a rather weird timing but it was the last day of the event so everything would be totally brown by 18:00. We had the luxury of a marquee, full PA, raised stage and engineer provided, one of just three bands on the day; the new promoters were apparently cutting back on the entertainment side of things to save money, hence our single two-hour slot.

The weather was hot and sticky and so were we by the end. The crowd were pretty responsive for this sort of event (can be a bit unengaged, often preferring to watch the sheep I think), but they were jigging about and applauding, with a couple of further gigs offered for next year. 

I've decided to accept that I'd really bought the HB shorty bass for our guitarist to spank during my sax set to save his left wrist(!) so I set it up as a cuckoo in his nest of five guitars linked via a Nux radio setup to an A/B switch on my amp while I used the MM Bongo - worked well giving us a very rapid instrument changeover, pic is of me and he, sax and bass.

The second gig on Saturday was just six miles up the road for me (and 40 miles for the rest of the band, usually the other way around) in Beaminster - a private 21st party. Super crowd, very good vibe and totally enjoyable except for the stairs in and out - the first ones we've had to deal with in a year or more.   

Msally_Gillingham_show2.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Gasman said:

Two gigs to remember last week - first one was on Thursday at the Gillingham & Shaftesbury agricultural show, playing from 12:30 to 14:30 - a rather weird timing but it was the last day of the event so everything would be totally brown by 18:00. We had the luxury of a marquee, full PA, raised stage and engineer provided, one of just three bands on the day; the new promoters were apparently cutting back on the entertainment side of things to save money, hence our single two-hour slot.

The weather was hot and sticky and so were we by the end. The crowd were pretty responsive for this sort of event (can be a bit unengaged, often preferring to watch the sheep I think), but they were jigging about and applauding, with a couple of further gigs offered for next year. 

I've decided to accept that I'd really bought the HB shorty bass for our guitarist to spank during my sax set to save his left wrist(!) so I set it up as a cuckoo in his nest of five guitars linked via a Nux radio setup to an A/B switch on my amp while I used the MM Bongo - worked well giving us a very rapid instrument changeover, pic is of me and he, sax and bass.

The second gig on Saturday was just six miles up the road for me (and 40 miles for the rest of the band, usually the other way around) in Beaminster - a private 21st party. Super crowd, very good vibe and totally enjoyable except for the stairs in and out - the first ones we've had to deal with in a year or more.   

Msally_Gillingham_show2.jpg

Looks like it was a cool gig 

• Like 1