Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

20 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Still enjoying my Flea bass as we (Otis Jay Blues Band) celebrated ten years of Southbourne Ales, the beer brewed at Poole Hill brewery in Bournemouth this Sunday afternoon. 

The Trace Elf/Barefaced One10 combination really seems to sing with this particular instrument - drummer and guitarist have expressed a preference over other passive Fenders and active Sandberg.  So better keep them satisfied. 😀 The singer is in his own world…and as you can see from my expression I am not impressed by the music stand!

NiceIMG_4530.thumb.jpeg.1d5e6049a059d1a21ab09c862a2711d8.jpeg

Nice pic.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2023 at 11:47, Bluewine said:

Double header this Weekend

I'm a little worried about the 9:00 start time Friday night. I haven't had a late night gig in a couple of years. Plus it's an hour commute one way.

Blue

Maple Road

Plymouth Jazz & Blues Crawl
August 11th
Wild Shots Pub & Grill
Plymouth WI
9:00 PM

Sunday August 13th
The Stillery (outside)
Grafton WI
3:00

FB_IMG_1689050131737.jpg

FB_IMG_1691562554506.jpg

Friday Night

The Jazz & Blues Crawl was a success.  This is the 19th year of the event. 

We had a great crowd closing the event at 9:00 at Wild Shots Pub & Grill. We had a dep drummer who was struggling. 

Pics

1. Strange load in

2. Band pics

Saturday Afternoon 

Cancer Benefit outside at The Stillery with a 3:00 start.

When I arrived all our gear was set up on stage covered with tarps as rain looked like a sure thing. 

The rain never came. Great sound on stage. Very cool crowd and we had our old drummer Tim who was brilliant. Jenny was great interacting with the crowd. We had a few fans that showed up for both shows.

No pics.

Blue

Nice pay day gig. 

20230811_175816.jpg

FB_IMG_1691855487379.jpg

FB_IMG_1691858738197.jpg

• Like 15

We played the New Foresters in Blackwood, Gwent last night - a good crowd and a good night although the space for the band is really cramped. However, the flagstone floor seemed to be a black hole for bass so I spent an hour or two in the shed this morning making a 36mm thick plywood platform which sits on a strong plastic beer crate that will lift my pair of 1x12s more than a foot off the floor. It seems to be stable so I'm planning a test flight when we play the Eye of Ra motorcycle club annual festival this coming Friday.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jo.gwillim said:

How are you getting on with the xvive? We find they either interfere with wifi based mixers or we get poor reception in about half the venues? Give over to wired p2 more now

We’re getting on with it okay. It takes a while to find the optimum channel work out how to use it around other devices, but we’re getting there. For example, we recently discovered that the singers wireless mic receiver should be kept at least 3m away from other wireless devices. This is one of the reasons we now run the Xvive transmitter from the passive splitter than sits next to the bass drum in the middle of the stage away from another wireless devices. We also found out that channels 1-4 clash with the Xvive U2 guitar wireless, so 5 and 6 are the better channels to use.

We still get the odd drop out in certain environments but I guess that’s unavoidable in certain environments. We’re trying to remember to put out phones and other devices in airplane mode that might help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

We’re getting on with it okay. It takes a while to find the optimum channel work out how to use it around other devices, but we’re getting there. For example, we recently discovered that the singers wireless mic receiver should be kept at least 3m away from other wireless devices. This is one of the reasons we now run the Xvive transmitter from the passive splitter than sits next to the bass drum in the middle of the stage away from another wireless devices. We also found out that channels 1-4 clash with the Xvive U2 guitar wireless, so 5 and 6 are the better channels to use.

We still get the odd drop out in certain environments but I guess that’s unavoidable in certain environments. We’re trying to remember to put out phones and other devices in airplane mode that might help.

Thanks Greg, i shall digest what you've said. I think there's some nuggets of usefulness there. Many thanks 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have had very little issues in the last few years of using the U4, inteferance wise, but most of my other wireless is 5GHz

Yes I'm sure that makes a difference. I'm not sure that digital mixers (behringer and soundcraft both cut out) can be switched to 5Ghz to keep them clear of the u4, but it's worth a look, thx for the suggestion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

As a band, we've recently dipped out toes into IEM. We're all generally happy with the same mix, but have a mix of wired (P2) and wireless (Xivive U4 packs. Our solution is a simple passive xlr splitter. Packing one of those for our gig could have been a useful solution to your monitoring issue.

The crew got a bit iffy when I suggested taking a feed from the floor monitors, they were at the limits of their technical ability I suspect. They'd set up the subs under each of the flying arrays about 20m apart when they had plenty of space under the stage to acoustically couple them. They'd also set them to overwhelm the tops which weren't working hard at all and there was very little top end for cymbals. Sometimes you just have to smile, hope and get on with it. Nobody loves a smarty pants. Mind you having been very suspicious of the in-ears my lot wouldn't go back. 

I quite like the splitter idea though, we've got a couple of active DI's that would have done that.

I see @Alfie Noakes was at the same gig the day before :)

• Like 1

I was, and the bass mix for the band on before us seemed to have half of Somerset reverberating to this pitch-less mushy thud which specifically rattled our singer's van's windows, and also the entire green room / blue caravan. Lord knows what I sounded like out front when we were on; my (own) backline was fine as always, but all you can do is hope, smile and pluck.

Still, that's festivals for you - more often than not a triumph of attendance over quality.

Edited by Alfie Noakes
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Jo.gwillim said:

Yes I'm sure that makes a difference. I'm not sure that digital mixers (behringer and soundcraft both cut out) can be switched to 5Ghz to keep them clear of the u4, but it's worth a look, thx for the suggestion.

I use the behringer X18, but obviously not the internal mixer, so I just go through a cheap £40 5GHz mixer

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

The crew got a bit iffy when I suggested taking a feed from the floor monitors, they were at the limits of their technical ability I suspect

Last open air thing I did I just plugged my U4 into where their floor monitor was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I quite like the splitter idea though, we've got a couple of active DI's that would have done that.

If it's any help, this is the one we use: 

Klark Teknik DS 50 Passive Splitter at Gear4music

We tried another splitter before this one that didn't work as well - the volume was very uneven on each output, but the Klark unit is perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm late on this due to a mad week in the studio. We (Headsticks) played Gig In A Field at Wroot near Doncaster last Saturday 5th. The ground was saturated and I turned up in converse pumps with no spares. I kept getting stuck in the field and sliding around on stage. The audience didn't care at all. We went down really well and sold a huge amount of merch

We went back to Rebellion festival on the Sunday to play the Pavillion stage. This was the biggest gig of ours for 2023 so obviously some nerves etc. but it went really well. The room was rammed. This is a photo from a minute after the end of our set - I'd just started packing away when I remembered to snap one!

pavillion.thumb.jpg.f9a506e9cc0d06cac9b884632edf01ce.jpg

This weekend we did Down On The Farm festival in Herefordshire. It's a giant barn and honestly I didn't think the crowd would like us. I assumed most of them were there for the tributes and covers, but we got a great reception! It was the first time trying my new (old) drum kit. The bass drum is an old 26" x 9" marching bass drum and I thought everyone was going to hate it but they loved it. Insignificant in the grand scheme I'm sure but we all like to f*ck about with gear don't we :) 

Unfortunately the main reason for the kit is the look of the thing, and this is the only photo I can find with a hit of drum kit on it.

onstage.thumb.jpg.92c4de7bf9449a95314f3fb84244f6cc.jpg

• Like 17

Yesterday's "gig" was a bit of a challenge, but unexpectedly rewarding - I worked as in-class support at a music summer school, playing bass with 8-12 year olds learning drums, guitar and keyboard. I showed an 8-year old to count in the song using his drum sticks over his head, we learned to swing quavers (no doubt letters from classical piano teachers will be coming in!), kept tight as a band, and learned to keep a nice steady beat over  repeats.

• Like 21

Just in !

Any of you had to deal with short notice gigs? I received this message this morning. 

"Hey all, potential very last minute Maple Rd gig tomorrow night, Thurs. 8/17 for Music on Main in West Bend, 6:30-9:30. The band they had scheduled had to cancel do to illness. "

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Just in !

Any of you had to deal with short notice gigs? I received this message this morning. 

"Hey all, potential very last minute Maple Rd gig tomorrow night, Thurs. 8/17 for Music on Main in West Bend, 6:30-9:30. The band they had scheduled had to cancel do to illness. "

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

Yep and both times it didn’t work out too well. First time was when a band pulled out because of Covid. The drummer and I both caught Covid at the gig! Second time was this July and I ended up in hospital 10 days later! However, my experience doesn’t have to be yours! Good luck!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Just in !

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

Always a bonus!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Just in !

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

Yes, we used to be the 'on call' back-up band for a local pub (I knew the landlord from school). We were just starting out playing mostly originals so we were desperate for any gigs. We got a few through cancellations and we always treated it as a no pressure gig as we were there as a favour to the venue. As a new band, the venue policy was 'no weekend gigs until you have a following', but as the back-up band it was almost always a Friday or Saturday night gig.

Good luck with your gig. No pressure! 😄

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Yes, we used to be the 'on call' back-up band for a local pub (I knew the landlord from school). We were just starting out playing mostly originals so we were desperate for any gigs. We got a few through cancellations and we always treated it as a no pressure gig as we were there as a favour to the venue. As a new band, the venue policy was 'no weekend gigs until you have a following', but as the back-up band it was almost always a Friday or Saturday night gig.

Good luck with your gig. No pressure! 😄

It'll be interesting.  Our guitarist can't make it and we're using a dep.

It's a " money grab" gig for me. I understand I have to be flexible. 

Agreed, no pressure. 

Blue

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Just in !

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

If the band are able to do the gig Daryl then go for it. Using a Dep guitarist could be tricky but you are all competent musicians that can cope with minor changes with the dep guitarist. Look forward to a report on how it goes.

Wish you well with it mate.

Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/08/2023 at 11:43, Bluewine said:

Just in !

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

We pulled it off. The dep guitarist did a  fine job he was super nice guy.

A few pics. Not the best but any pic is better than no pic. I enjoy looking at the band the pics everyone posts.

These are just load in pics.

Blue

20230817_201814.jpg

20230817_173633.jpg

20230817_173600.jpg

20230817_200607.jpg

20230817_200458.jpg

20230817_173549.jpg

• Like 14