Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Off to the Golden Fleece at Berry Brow for leg 1 of our 2-leg world tour of Huddersfield. Given the size of the pub I elected to give the Elf another outing and again it didn't disappoint. It was rainy and humid, but fortunately things didn't get too sticky. We had a few technical issues, such as my bass cutting out a couple of times during the first song, but that was swiftly rectified by checking the connections of all my patch cables after a recent pedal board reshuffle, and then I was good. We had a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune, the singist's mic being muted during soundcheck that almost led to some toys being de-prammed, but things settled down. We had an appreciative crowd in, none more so than the hammered guy who tried to steal the mic, and the woman who decided the best place to dance during one number was in the singists pocket. These two characters being dispatched swiftly to parts elsewhere the second set went down a storm.

A very nice (and evidently sober) man came up to me afterwards and said my tone was the best bass tone he'd heard for some time, which is leading me to having second thoughts about offloading my Sire to fund the purchase of a new Sadowsky MetroExpress. I am hoping that the bonus associated with me (hopefully!) gaining a professional qualification around Christmas will do that instead, so in the meantime there are other things I might look to acquire, including a five-string, a two-bass gig bag, and a slightly larger pedal board. Decisions decisions!

PXL_20230805_191209091.jpg

PXL_20230805_183935228.jpg

• Like 16

On 30/07/2023 at 21:41, Downunderwonder said:

So I had to Google it and the circus was indeed founded by 5 of 7 Ringling brothers, from..........Baraboo Wisconsin, who knew?!!? Anyone wanna bet Al stayed home and built a theater instead?

Thanks for the information. 

I'll try and get some decent pics. Our show is on 9/16.

Blue

On 03/08/2023 at 17:52, Bluewine said:

Wisconsin State Fair this Saturday. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1691088116473.jpg

Turned out to be a fun gig. We didn't start " clicking until the 3rd or 4th song 

My line6 wireless failed and I had to ditch my pedal board .

Very appreciative crowd. 

The 2.5 hours went by quick with a 20 minute break.

Pics

1. Fair grounds 

2. Load in back stage. Air conditioned trailer with a refrigerator stocked with water and beer.

3. Stage pic. Thats Rebecca & The Grey Notes.  They played before us 

Blue

20230805_142351.jpg

20230805_134733.jpg

20230805_135005.jpg

• Like 17

Another early birthday session yesterday, this one was for both the singer/guitarists in the band who celebrated their 40th and 50th in the week.

A tad bittersweet as our drummer has had to go on hiatus due to not having the time to commit. He has a young family so it's understandable, no bridges have been burned and the doors are all open. We're going to gig as a 3-piece but with backing tracks for now.

We played an absolute blinder, people watched and were appreciative. The sound was good despite a cobbled together selection of kit which I managed to wrangle a decent noise out of!

My bass decided to get a spangle on afterwards...20230805_144928.thumb.jpg.3de3cf42e17141c263ae687a80db1e38.jpg

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Turned out to be a fun gig. We didn't start " clicking until the 3rd or 4th song 

My line6 wireless failed and I had to ditch my pedal board .

Very appreciative crowd. 

The 2.5 hours went by quick with a 20 minute break.

Pics

1. Fair grounds 

2. Load in back stage. Air conditioned trailer with a refrigerator stocked with water and beer.

3. Stage pic. Thats Rebecca & The Grey Notes.  They played before us 

Blue

20230805_142351.jpg

20230805_134733.jpg

20230805_135005.jpg

Great stuff Daryl and hopefully the feelgood factor has returned.

Dave

• Like 2

A club gig just outside of Pontefract for the Glam band last night. Two of our compliment of four were struggling with some sort of flu bug but soldiered on like troopers propped up by our mobile (legal) pharmacy. Despite this we performed ok save a small blip due to brain fog on one of the afflicted’s part (we covered it well!) and we had the punters dancing from the first number. 
One thing of note was the failure of my smooth hound wireless set up leading me to hard wire for the second spot. There was so much mobile activity in the venue (I guess) that all the red lights were on and my set up couldn’t maintain a connection.

• Like 9

I always find Bristol to be one of the friendliest cities in the south of England, and last night we played the Hen & Chicken. We supported The Radio Makers at their album launch and had a great show. I got to road test my new Boss mini pedal board (it passed with flying colours!). My missus managed to offload the kids and come down to support us and I got to hang out with a bunch of old mates from my student days in the early 90s. The winner of the night though surely must be singer Nick's Mum, who at 86yrs old, travelled an hour to come and support us! 

8d0f0196-df2e-4611-9f89-bd60e04bda24.thumb.JPG.302c364f53ccf3b0db8b5de81a3066da.JPG

• Like 14

On 04/08/2023 at 07:58, Leonard Smalls said:

Played at Rebellion Festival in Blackpool yesterday... It's a big old venue! We were in the Arena. Onstage sound wasn't particularly good - I had an Ampeg fridge which had no definition and was either too loud or too quiet , the volume knob just seemed to jump from one to the other!

And there was also terrible FOH sound - the room was very echoey so the engineer presumably tried to compensate by turning everything up, which meant feedback from the bass drum mic and absolutely no defined bass, which is a shame as we're a two bass band!

However, we played well, though our guitarist completely forgot what to play in one song... There was a reasonable crowd and nobody threw anything.

Also had the pleasure of meeting @cheddatom and seeing his band, Headsticks, who were most excellent - in my top three of the day (with Splodgenessabounds and Culture Shock).

Today, looking forward to Spizz Energi.

IMG_20230803_124954.jpg

FB_IMG_1691077317667.jpg

received_1264105110956591~3.jpeg

We were wandering around Blackpool today and loving it being full of punks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

A club gig just outside of Pontefract for the Glam band last night. Two of our compliment of four were struggling with some sort of flu bug but soldiered on like troopers propped up by our mobile (legal) pharmacy. Despite this we performed ok save a small blip due to brain fog on one of the afflicted’s part (we covered it well!) and we had the punters dancing from the first number. 
One thing of note was the failure of my smooth hound wireless set up leading me to hard wire for the second spot. There was so much mobile activity in the venue (I guess) that all the red lights were on and my set up couldn’t maintain a connection.

I've had a few minor issues with the Smooth Hound wireless and decided to splash out for the Shure GLXD pedal version and i've had absolutely no issues whatsoever with it even with various other wireless kit on stage ie mics, IEM's etc.

One of the best buys i've done. It's left me 100% happy and Wireless GAS free now. :tatice_03:

Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Merton said:

I didn’t gig yesterday because I was at my cousin’s wedding, but my ACG TKO did 😄 Katy stepped into bass duties in my absence and borrowed my bass as her Mustang has been a bit temperamental recently:

IMG_0729.thumb.jpeg.836f01c910eb26f7e1d480785fcd38d2.jpeg

Thoughts and prayers for you still having a playing gig!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've had a few minor issues with the Smooth Hound wireless and decided to splash out for the Shure GLXD pedal version and i've had absolutely no issues whatsoever with it even with various other wireless kit on stage ie mics, IEM's etc.

One of the best buys i've done. It's left me 100% happy and Wireless GAS free now. :tatice_03:

Dave

Dave, You were having wireless issues too?

Daryl

13 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I felt pretty good yesterday. 

Next week we have a road trip to Plymouth Wisconsin with a late 9:00pm start. 

Daryl

How far is that for you. I always underestimate distances in US. I can go from coast to coast in Scotland in about 80 miles East to West possibly less. :laugh1:

Great to see you are back on track again.

Dave

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, You were having wireless issues too?

Daryl

I did have some minor noise interference with the Smooth Hound wireless. Since changing to the Shure GLXD i've had absolutely no issues at all. Literally power up, plug in and play, its that simple plus the pedal has a built in tuner meaning one less pedal in my chain.

Can't fault the Shure wireless, built like a tank altho i did replace the cable with a right angled jack and slightly heavier cable.

Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Off to the Golden Fleece at Berry Brow for leg 1 of our 2-leg world tour of Huddersfield. Given the size of the pub I elected to give the Elf another outing and again it didn't disappoint. It was rainy and humid, but fortunately things didn't get too sticky. We had a few technical issues, such as my bass cutting out a couple of times during the first song, but that was swiftly rectified by checking the connections of all my patch cables after a recent pedal board reshuffle, and then I was good. We had a guitar that wouldn't stay in tune, the singist's mic being muted during soundcheck that almost led to some toys being de-prammed, but things settled down. We had an appreciative crowd in, none more so than the hammered guy who tried to steal the mic, and the woman who decided the best place to dance during one number was in the singists pocket. These two characters being dispatched swiftly to parts elsewhere the second set went down a storm.

A very nice (and evidently sober) man came up to me afterwards and said my tone was the best bass tone he'd heard for some time, which is leading me to having second thoughts about offloading my Sire to fund the purchase of a new Sadowsky MetroExpress. I am hoping that the bonus associated with me (hopefully!) gaining a professional qualification around Christmas will do that instead, so in the meantime there are other things I might look to acquire, including a five-string, a two-bass gig bag, and a slightly larger pedal board. Decisions decisions!

PXL_20230805_191209091.jpg

PXL_20230805_183935228.jpg

The Elf is so tiny on the cab but they are great amps. What is in the BF cab? I’m constantly tempted to go down that route.

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Cheers Dave, I’ll check that out. To be fair this is only the 3rd time I’ve had issues in about 200 gigs. It seems only to be a problem at ‘younger’ places where there are about a million mobile devices operating. Still a pain when it happens and gives you an attack of the ‘Norman Collier’ variety (showing me age there).

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Cheers Dave, I’ll check that out. To be fair this is only the 3rd time I’ve had issues in about 200 gigs. It seems only to be a problem at ‘younger’ places where there are about a million mobile devices operating. Still a pain when it happens and gives you an attack of the ‘Norman Collier’ variety (showing me age there).

Its even more sad that i know who Norman Collier is.  :laugh1:

3 times in 200 gigs aint too bad to be fair. Mine was picking up a bit of hiss and i never found out why as it always worked perfect at home when i tested it after the gig. Not every gig tho but it was getting worse and maybe every 4-5 gigs i'd get something not quite right.

The Shure is expensive tho but for me its been worth it so far to have peace of mind.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Played an ‘ex-serviceman’s’ club last night. Decent enough stage and a good sized room. During soundcheck an early punter said it was too loud, which didn’t bode well, but they were the first ones up dancing; people are weird. An OK gig, but again there were timing issues of starts, stops, etc, which is starting to grind my gears a bit and it looks like I’m going to have to start counting everything for everyone else’s benefit, to bring them in with nods, etc. Audience seem very low key and felt it wasn’t a good venue for us really, as it all felt a bit flat.

Another gig in 2 weeks, hopefully, that’ll be better.

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its even more sad that i know who Norman Collier is.  :laugh1:

3 times in 200 gigs aint too bad to be fair. Mine was picking up a bit of hiss and i never found out why as it always worked perfect at home when i tested it after the gig. Not every gig tho but it was getting worse and maybe every 4-5 gigs i'd get something not quite right.

The Shure is expensive tho but for me its been worth it so far to have peace of mind.

Dave

Here is your problem Dave.

813F0124-971B-417B-9845-D613B01A542D.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SuperSeagull said:

The Elf is so tiny on the cab but they are great amps. What is in the BF cab? I’m constantly tempted to go down that route.

It's a Two10S and was definitely a worthwhile purchase. I'm keen to get a One10 for rehearsals and smaller gigs, as though the Two10S is relatively light it's still a bit of a faff.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Played an ‘ex-serviceman’s’ club last night. Decent enough stage and a good sized room. During soundcheck an early punter said it was too loud, which didn’t bode well, but they were the first ones up dancing; people are weird. An OK gig, but again there were timing issues of starts, stops, etc, which is starting to grind my gears a bit and it looks like I’m going to have to start counting everything for everyone else’s benefit, to bring them in with nods, etc. Audience seem very low key and felt it wasn’t a good venue for us really, as it all felt a bit flat.

Another gig in 2 weeks, hopefully, that’ll be better.

Start timing issues irk me a lot too. A lot of our songs start with our synth player who is not very conscientious about counting us in so some songs sound a bit ropey to start.

• Sad 1