Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Roxy Magic played the Hale Barns Carnival on Saturday. It tipped it down for most of the day, but it cleared up when we were on, by some miracle. A good fun set - nothing but the hits. We were on with the legendary Graham Gouldman who's been a hero of mine since the mid-70s. He was doing an acoustic gig, playing a few 10cc songs along with some of his solo stuff and the songs he wrote for the Yardbirds, Hollies etc. Sadly, after a clear start, the heavens opened and left him playing to a smaller crowd than he deserved. He was still ace though. I'll spare you the picture of me grinning next to a slightly bemused GG.

360147480_10226622720926633_5159136656060068317_n.thumb.jpg.04b1497bbfa7edf351d3fe52d699e7a0.jpg

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I hate it when venues suck and have not the slightest clue what's involved in setting up a band.

We could happily have got back in the van and gone home but where's the fun in that! 🤣

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Had a gig Saturday night (no photo sorry), turned up, we were due to play outside but because of the weather were moved inside, we were told we were setting up in a corner with built in seating and one double socket. 

That wouldn't be that unusual for us - the wooden bit in the bottom middle is the bar, the built in seating is round the right and the double socket is on the side by the door!

rexes-beehive.jpg

• Like 9

"Hi Gang

Maple  Road will be performing this week on Thursday 7/27 @ The Washington County Fair.

We'll have Tim Sardina on drums. We'll be on the Do Drop In Stage. We start at 5:00."

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Access to the stage might be tricky. I hope we draw a cool engaged crowd 

Blue

FB_IMG_1689049982101.jpg

IMG_20230724_134504.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, rushbo said:

Roxy Magic played the Hale Barns Carnival on Saturday. It tipped it down for most of the day, but it cleared up when we were on, by some miracle. A good fun set - nothing but the hits. We were on with the legendary Graham Gouldman who's been a hero of mine since the mid-70s. He was doing an acoustic gig, playing a few 10cc songs along with some of his solo stuff and the songs he wrote for the Yardbirds, Hollies etc. Sadly, after a clear start, the heavens opened and left him playing to a smaller crowd than he deserved. He was still ace though. I'll spare you the picture of me grinning next to a slightly bemused GG.

360147480_10226622720926633_5159136656060068317_n.thumb.jpg.04b1497bbfa7edf351d3fe52d699e7a0.jpg

I love that red Gibson Fire Bird !

Blue

Mustang Sally played three gigs over last weekend, a Saturday afternoon village party in Kington Magna (no, I'd never heard of it either!), evening as part of the shaftesbury fringe festival in the Two Brewers pub. The afternoon was excitingly dangerous with rain tipping it down the whole time and a mini-whirlwind busting one of the lightweight tents just as we started playing. The punters were all county-set rich landowners and suchlike, barbours, leather hats, red trousers and expensive wellies, average age 68-ish. Their picnics comprised champers, foie-gras, etc. We thought that starting with Guitar gently weeps would scare them off but not a bit of it -they danced in the mud, got a bit tipsy and we even had some of the ladies balancing on straw bales to bind freshly-hacked branched from the trees around to splint the bent and busted tent poles with gaffer tape, doubtless carried in their Gucci handbags for just such an eventuality - the Empire spirit or what?

The evening pub gig was warm and sweaty, rammed with punters who danced, drank and sang while the rain continued to soak the band outside in their wall-less tent - they were Dreamweaver, an originals power-punk four piece and bloody good - I'm hoping to book them for one of our West Bay minifests in 2024!

Sunday was an afternoon  gig at the Shaftesbury FC clubhouse, all of the band still feeling a bit stunned from the day before, but the punters rolled in, sat in the sun and danced for the whole afternoon.

I used my new-to-me short-scale Harley-B (thank you, @knicknack} all weekend with the Bongo relegated to spare. Our guitarist loved it (less wrist stress than a 34") when I did my sax bit - he's now keen to play more - did I subconsciously buy it for him so I get more sax-time?

IMAG9447.jpg

IMAG9446.jpg

Edited by Gasman
added link to member
  • Like 16

@alant on my bathroom scales it's 3.5kg. It hangs exactly level (no neckdive) Its got lightweight Gotoh tuners and has been upgraded to Nordstrand PUPs and a pull-up selector added to give the choice of both or just the PB pickup. Very punchy sound thru the AG700 and Darkglass 212. 

• Thanks 1

There is indeed a de-activated phone box there; it sits in solitary splendour outside the village hall as a memorial to that epic confrontation you mention. There's even a Doctor Who annual in the 'box amongst the other books-for-swap stacked inside! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rushbo said:

Ooh a firebird VII like I said about in the 'what do you want' thread.

Some short 30 sec vid clips appeared on FB from Sat night first set. Not sure if this will load but will try

http://www.facebook.com/1647406946/videos/823100932532968/

http://www.facebook.com/1647406946/videos/pcb.10227970050870430/216309024307924

http://www.facebook.com/1647406946/videos/pcb.10227970050870430/587917856866745

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 9

22 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

That wouldn't be that unusual for us - the wooden bit in the bottom middle is the bar, the built in seating is round the right and the double socket is on the side by the door!

rexes-beehive.jpg

Acrylic drum set is cool!

4 hours ago, knirirr said:

On Sunday I managed a piano trio gig (pictured). This was good but most of the audience sat outside due to the heat. 

Then there was a jam where I cocked it all up. Caught something unpleasant as well. 

IMG_3998.jpeg

Love the drum set up!

• Like 1

Well, that was good fun!

We (Fine Lines) played at the o2 Ritz in Manchester, supporting Kiefer Sutherland on this re-arranged date. 

We were on the full UK tour last year, but unfortunately, he caught covid, meaning the last 4 dates had to be cancelled.

We weren't sure if we'd get any of the new dates, so were really happy to get Manchester, as it was almost a home gig for us. We certainly had a surprising number of people venturing from our home town to the show, possibly not all to see us, but it seemed like a good proportion did, judging by the repsonse.

The crowd were brilliant, some of the ones on the front row knew the songs (from following thebtour previously) and they were very enthusiastic in their responses.

We played with a dep drummer, who did a great job and really put some work in, having had only 1 rehearsal with us. 

All in all, quite a splendid time was had by all.

20230725_200524.jpg

FB_IMG_1690327412859.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, jimmyb625 said:

Well, that was good fun!

We (Fine Lines) played at the o2 Ritz in Manchester, supporting Kiefer Sutherland on this re-arranged date. 

We were on the full UK tour last year, but unfortunately, he caught covid, meaning the last 4 dates had to be cancelled.

We weren't sure if we'd get any of the new dates, so were really happy to get Manchester, as it was almost a home gig for us. We certainly had a surprising number of people venturing from our home town to the show, possibly not all to see us, but it seemed like a good proportion did, judging by the repsonse.

The crowd were brilliant, some of the ones on the front row knew the songs (from following thebtour previously) and they were very enthusiastic in their responses.

We played with a dep drummer, who did a great job and really put some work in, having had only 1 rehearsal with us. 

20230725_200524.jpg

FB_IMG_1690327412859.jpg

Looks like a " big time " gig.👍

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

All good, fun show.

Blue

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like the inside of Methil Club ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Well, that was good fun!

20230725_200524.jpg

FB_IMG_1690327412859.jpg

'Cross stage' monitoring only, how was that? Or were you wearing in-ears?