Why become a member? ×

What Effects Do You Most Commonly Use

Phaedrus

Used to have a Bass POD XT Live which was/is a good piece of kit but I ended up only using one or two of the effects and one or two of the myriad amp models that are available so I sold it on in favour of something more simple.

On the floor I now have a Boss Chorus, DOD Flanger and an MXR Distortion Pedal they only get used once each in an evening but they've earned their place. I also make use of my RH450's, eq, compressor and valve emulation via the TC footswitch which also has the built in tuner. All placed on a Pedal Train Jnr board with a power supply mounted underneath and there you have it a nice simple set up that works well (for me).

Boss TU2 - to keep in tune
Digitech Bad Monkey - A bit more grit on a couple of songs
Ashdown dual band compressor - on for a couple of songs that need to sound tighter
EHX Bass Big Muff - For two songs again
Digitech Bass Synth Wah - Just used for a single note synthy intro to a song
DOD FX64 Icebox chorus - on one song that has some slow bass chord stuff

If there were more in the band than just the three of us I'd probably just have the BBM and the tuner! As I'm happy with my un-effected sound.
As there is a fair amount of just bass, drums and vocals when the guitarist stops playing (on purpose) during the set though I feel it makes it more listenable and dynamic to pad out the bass sound a bit.

It's just about what works for you. A lot of bassists like to find a good clean consistent tone and stick to it. You often come across the assumption that a bassist who uses effects is going to ruin every song with an overblown unnecessary bass effect. I don't really see any sound you can get out of your instrument as unnecessary. If you want to play your bass guitar shifted 2 octaves up with huge phase effect and an ebow, the bass police may tut and shake their heads but if you think it works then go for it. I like to use subtle effects to get the right tone for each tune, and I also like to use overblown unusual effects where I deem appropriate, or play with a bow or putting screws behind the strings and tapping them with a drumstick or whatever. But where a song just needs a clean steady bass tone I put as much effort into getting that just right. I suppose I don't consider myself a bassist so much as a bass guitarist, i.e. someone who plays the bass guitar (however conventionally or unconventionally) rather than someone providing the consistent low end.

Along with my TU-2 I have a Fulltone BassDrive. It's a really great pedal. I'd love to add an individual boost to my set up having messed around with the comp/cut feature.

I'd also like to get a more fuzzy dirt box but having tried some lately not sure I've heard one I really like yet (haven't really tried that many tbh). Like some others I really dig a simple bass tone with various degrees of dirt. Not into chorus delay on my bass tones but that could change depending on the music I experiment with in the future. Never say never right ? :)

Finally the P Retro sounds like a great idea and I'd love to hear some sound clips/reviews soon.

Well, I thought mine was going to be the first phaser to grace this thread...[quote name='Bassmouseman' post='760492' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:25 AM']MXR Phase 90 - Borrowed from a friend[/quote]...but no. :)

Apart from aforementioned Ibanez PH7 phaser, I also use an Ibanez PD7 distortion, Boss CEB3 chorus and Yamaha octaver. All used very sparingly.

So,as an update to my last post,I've really been enjoying using an Emma Electronic
DiscumBOBulator, TC Electronic Nova Repeater and a Boss OC2 lately.

I can't believe I never bothered with the OC2 sooner-I'm loving using it.

[quote name='Doddy' post='760370' date='Mar 1 2010, 02:50 AM']I've got a load of pedals and a couple of multi effects,and on the vast majority of
gigs,I don't use any of them.Not even a compressor.
For me,it's all about having options. If I need to use a particular effect,it's there.
I'd hate to be asked for a certain sound on a gig and not be be able to do it,so
I have pretty much everything covered just in case.[/quote]

This!

It annoys me when people consider effects as only existing to cover up bad playing.

For me, I don't consider effects as hiding or messing with the bass sound, I create basslines with effects, I never think "oh, that bassline sounds kind of weak, I'll play it with a phaser, that'll make it sound better". I think "I want this part to of the song to have phaser on it" Or I'll hum a part in my head as "doo-do-dah-doo-do-dah" with the dah bits 2 octaves up from the doo-do bits. I can't do that on my bass so I go to my whammy pedal.

Basically I use my pedals to make sounds that I want to make but my bass can't, I consider them as extensions of the instrument

I'll stop ranting now

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='816904' date='Apr 24 2010, 03:16 AM']It annoys me when people consider effects as only existing to cover up bad playing.

*snip*

Basically I use my pedals to make sounds that I want to make but my bass can't, I consider them as extensions of the instrument

I'll stop ranting now[/quote]

They are crucial IMO. Effects don't have to be crazy sound altering devices anyway, a very light Chorus can help fatten the bass sound up without being an obviously "effected" tone, and obviously low gain OD's and Compressors go without saying. I have lots of pedals because I like to keep an open mind. A tasteful application of Effects can really make or break a bass line! For example, Sir Psycho Sexy by RHCP, the dirty squelching bass tone just makes that whole song. Wouldn't sound anywhere near as good without it! Also Calm Like a Bomb by RATM springs to mind with that huge distorted wah tone!

Edited by Higgie

I'm hopeless - every now and then I feel the need for a bit of chorus , and you can't deny the usefulness of compression , so off I go and buy the pedals - use them once then can't be arsed to set them up again and they end up sold.

I've spent so long in the dinosaur's swamp I'm just too used to the idea of a straight bass>amp set-up.

My rack tuner is a life saving thing of wonder which I wouldn't be without but effects............. nah , not really.

I am currently using My bass into a TU-2 and then An Ashdown James Lomenzo (bought from Dannybouy great chap!) i occasionally borrow my brotehrs Ibanez DS7 for some really fuzzy and sharp Cliff burton like sounds,

I'm looking to try our an MXR Distortion Plus, and i want to invest in a compressed to help tighten things up, but that is very low on the list,

I find Playing with distortion improves your playing as our flaws and faults are amplified and shine through, just my opinion though, i mean its not like playing with distortion stops you hitting wrong notes,

Huh, thinking about its basically distortion and thats what i use like 95% of the time

Currently my effects set up is:

PolyTune ---> Sansamp Programmable BDDI (all 3 channels with various amounts of drive) ---> Trace Elliot Quad Chorus

The band I've joined used to be a 5 piece but is currently a 4 piece, the other guitarist left just before I joined. I've been experimenting with other effects to fill out the sound during solos. Tried some distortions, my modified Cry-Baby, and an octave.

I think my next purchase will be a better octave, currently planning on an EBS OctaBass. But I'm seriously tempted by a Tech 21 Red Ripper...

Edited by bartelby

I couldn't play without 'em now. I use my Boss PH-3 and old Ibanez (Maxon) FL-9 ALOT! Compression and Sansamp are on constantly too. I'm currently running a seventeen pedal board. I'll get some decent pictures up in the pedal board thread in the next week or so.

I think the whole keeping your tone 'pure' thing is a myth. Has anyone ever actually considered that the tone after it's been run through all the junk you've got before your amp and has supposedly 'lost something' or isn't as hi-fi might actually be the tone most people really want to hear?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Rich' post='816690' date='Apr 23 2010, 07:38 PM']Well, I thought mine was going to be the first phaser to grace this thread......but no. :)[/quote]

I'm with you guys on the MXR Phase 90! Phaser is probably my favourite type of modulation.

Over the years I've tried -

Quite a few compressors and limiters. My favourite effect, but I'm still looking for the right for me (a Maxon CP9Pro+ is on the GAS list)
Chorus. One Boss and one EHX. Just always sounds a bit "80s" to my ears and I feel like I should be wearing leather jeans (or spandex :)). Stupid prejudice I know.
Flanger. Boss. See under "chorus"
Reverb and delays. Love the sense of space it can bring to the bass tone, but just makes everything muddy in a band situation.
Octaver. Boss OC2 and Ashdown's built in one. Not for me. Deep but artificial.
Wah. Borrowed Boss V-wah. Great fun, and I would like one of my own, but can easily live without it. Also not sure I'd ever get the hang of doing something with my foot while also co-ordinating both hands.
Overdrive. Tried the Bad Monkey (modded). Great pedal, but I prefer the overdrive from pushing my amp's input. I'd like to try the Sansamp VT Bass.

So, I can easily live without effects but I'd like a quality and flexible comp/lim, an overdrive that sounds like proper amp overdrive and a wah pedal to play with.

we rarely play covers, but the ones we do have in the bank, it helps me to have a:

boss bf2 flanger for thin lizzy stuff
morley wah/volume/distortion for early metallica
digitech chorus for gnr!

i do use effects for original stuff, but very rarely can be arsed to take the board to gigs, i like my space!