Why become a member? ×

Playing without looking

waynepunkdude

Ha ha :)
Beware of that one now you are no longer staring at your fretboard ... Look for the biggest/meanest bloke in the room. He'll be her big brother/partner/minder/father/pimp/all of the above. Imagine him customising your bass with his boot, or your head ....

Look somewhere in the crowd (bearing the above advise in mind) or the exit sign at the back of the venue or the heads of the bar staff ...

The more you look towards the audience the better your band will look

I do vocals for one band so have had to learn this quite sharpish, although I still have to sneak a peak in between lyrics for some of the harder basslines I have. My other band though I only do backing vocals for though, so I've never really been forced to learn to with them, though I probably could I guess.

Thing is, when I'm playing a gig I always feel awkward not looking at my fretboard, as I never really know where else to look!

Ooh look, there's one man and his dog watching us, hmm, there's the guitarist, drummer, singer - aaah, fretboard, much more interesting! :)

I think a lot of it is being at home and comfortable with a bass, if you're used to where on the neck the notes are you'll hit them without looking. If you're then playing a bass where the notes are in a different place, due to more frets, bigger/smaller body etc etc, then you're fighting an uphill battle, especially if you're swapping mid-set.

Si

As I've said before,I don't think that consciously avoiding looking at the
'board is a good idea-you are really just limiting yourself. As you play more
you will naturally become more aware of the 'board and stop looking at it as
much-it comes with familiarity. Everyone looks as the 'board at times.
Purposely looking away is just another variable that you don't need.

[quote name='Doddy' post='759121' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:17 PM']As I've said before,I don't think that consciously avoiding looking at the
Purposely looking away is just another variable that you don't need.[/quote]

+1

Si

[quote name='Doddy' post='759121' date='Feb 27 2010, 02:17 PM']As I've said before,I don't think that consciously avoiding looking at the

It depends....
You are there to entertain.
What passes for entertainment in your genre may determine whether shoe/board gazing is considered the height of cool or totally detaches you from your audience.
Eye contact (ad relating to your audience members) is generally much more important than flash licks but, hey, look at yoru neck for the flash stuff and then lift your eyes when you are plying something easier.

Old Git's Top Tip:
For right handed players, stand to the left of the drummer.
Look at your neck then look up a bit and there's the front person and the drummer and, just beyond the front person there's the audience.. Just a little change in your angle of looking and you can chack your fingers on your board too..

Edited by OldGit

Doddy wins, hands down. :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='758997' date='Feb 27 2010, 12:00 PM']at the lady with the biggest boobs[/quote]

That`s the only reason I play in a band! Yes I am that shallow.

Another thing I`m bad for is if I am playing a song I know well, I tend to drift off and watch the Sky sports which is usually on the telly with the volume down. I was watching some horse racing from Dubia the other week.

Jez :)

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='759240' date='Feb 27 2010, 04:57 PM']That`s the only reason I play in a band! Yes I am that shallow.

Another thing I`m bad for is if I am playing a song I know well, I tend to drift off and watch the Sky sports which is usually on the telly with the volume down. I was watching some horse racing from Dubia the other week.

Jez :)[/quote]

The amount of times I have played a gig whilst watching the football then stopped playing when something has happened in the footy.

Anyone want to hire me for a function band?