Why become a member? ×

Has this ever happened to anyone else!!!!!

deaky

Hi all

I wonder if this has happened to anyone..

I was quite happily playing my G&L tribute L2000 through a Tecamp combo when I accidentally nudged the lead which then gave way to a loud pop sound which then gave way to a radio station playing through my amp!!!

I stay in a ground floor flat.

Is this normal? The pop nearly blew the speaker :)

Any help will be great :rolleyes:

Deaky

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='758661' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:40 PM']i used to happen to me when my band rehearsed in my mates attic

i was using a geddy lee fender which seemed to have poor shielding in the electronics department!! haha

i got all kinds of crazy radio stations! all of which were in languages i dont speak! lol

:)[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Many (many) years ago (I was about 13, now 45) I was rehearsing in a big old hall in South London during a thunder storm. There was this almighty flash of lightning accompanied by a loud cracking sound from my (guitar) amp. I apparently had turned as white as a sheet and we decided to call it a day.

Next day, I plugged in to practice at around 7pm and all I got through the amp was the theme tune to the Archers!!

Managed to trade the amp, but I believe that the problem is possibly down to a capacitor somewhere.

[quote name='RhysP' post='759303' date='Feb 27 2010, 06:19 PM']I used to get it all the time with my Cornford guitar amp.
If I was using a guitar with single coil pickups the reception was better than on my radio.[/quote]

Some single coils do have a certain reputation... I can still remember a mate of mine putting his vintage strat close to his face and singing - you could hear it clearly through the amp! :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' post='759318' date='Feb 27 2010, 07:31 PM']Some single coils do have a certain reputation... I can still remember a mate of mine putting his vintage strat close to his face and singing - you could hear it clearly through the amp! :)[/quote]

Don't underestimate the tremolo springs in a Strat too :rolleyes:

I remeber staying with my best friend who is a guitarist at his Uni house. We had a bit of a jam one night and had a few beers and then slumped over in drunkeness and he forgot to turn off his epiphone 335 and marshall.

At about 3 in morning for some reason unknown to either of us his 335 suddenly decided to pick up radio clear as a bell. Now I have to mention at this point neither of us knew guitars could pick up radio and had never even heard of this happening. Unfortunately the guitar didn't pick up chill out music or radio 1, it was some American preacher screaming about debauchery, overindulgence and burning in hell for your sins etc. Basically we both sh*t ourselves as it was so loud and thought god was talking to us through his amplifier. Not fun after a night on the stella, but good times none the less.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='760448' date='Mar 1 2010, 09:23 AM']I remeber staying with my best friend who is a guitarist at his Uni house. We had a bit of a jam one night and had a few beers and then slumped over in drunkeness and he forgot to turn off his epiphone 335 and marshall.

At about 3 in morning for some reason unknown to either of us his 335 suddenly decided to pick up radio clear as a bell. Now I have to mention at this point neither of us knew guitars could pick up radio and had never even heard of this happening. Unfortunately the guitar didn't pick up chill out music or radio 1, it was some American preacher screaming about debauchery, overindulgence and burning in hell for your sins etc. Basically we both sh*t ourselves as it was so loud and thought god was talking to us through his amplifier. Not fun after a night on the stella, but good times none the less.[/quote]

Perhaps he was!

it is normal to have radio playing through your amp, if it is not shielded good enough, or the bass.
i don't know where it comes from. can be amp or bass.

as long as there is a wire that functions as a radio antenna, it would play radio :-)
in order to be a good radio antenna, the wire just has to have a certain length and to be not very good shielded.

so, don't worry. there's nothing wrong.
i used to hear foreign radio stations through my amp, even without banging the bass against the wall or something like that.

It used to happen to me when I first started playing - pretty sure the cause was my coloursound fuzz pedal, because when I turned that on you could sometimes hear the police radio through it (that must date it - wonder when they started using VHF and UHF). It doesn't happen now, probably because cables are shielded better and I don't live in Croydon area.

A long long time ago, back in the days of horse and chariot, I was playing regular weekend gigs at the Red Lion in Brentford (which is now a McDonald's drive-tru joint) a band which I formed, called Frank & Disorderly, me being Fran) you might have heard of us if you lived in the west London area, and are mid 40's early 50's, we are talking 1988-89 that long ago. I had a Mesa Boogie all valve head and everytime the beer pumps were pulled I used to get a whiiiiiiiissszzzz noise out of my amp. I was most vexed about it, I hated playing that venue. But the guitarists, both of them, had it even worse, they used to pickup minicab cb radio transmission, [i]"charlie tango-8-1-7 I've got 2 pob going to hammersmith, over"[/i]. through their speaker in that same haunted pub.

So one day I took the amp to a technician who changed some caps inside and rerouted the earth away from the amp chassis into a series of resistances then grounded it through a rod inside the chassis that didn't interfere with the circuit board and that seemed to do the job.

Edited by bass5