Why become a member? ×

PJ Bass... What About a JP?

Starless

So I have seen many examples of a 'PJ' - i.e. a Precision bass with that extra Jazz pickup near the bridge, but is it common to have a 'JP' - a Jazz bass with the neck pickup replaced with a P pick-up?

I love my Jazz, it is just the business (weight, playability etc), but my fretless P has that distinctive 'burp' that just isn't there to the same extent on the Jazz. Can I get closer to that sound with a P pickup in the neck position on a Jazz?

Has anyone done the mod of removing the Jazz neck PU, re-routing a bit, and then putting a P split pickup in there?

Worth doing, or no appreciable difference? I don't want a new bass as the Jazz is now an 'old friend' and my most gigged bass, so I would rather mod than replace with an already 'JP' bass.

I think it would be a really easy mod to do (although you'd have to make a new scratch plate from a blank, as I don't think you'd get eaily with the P hole) and well worth doing. I personally find the PJ pup config tonally superior and more flexable over the JJ config. Don't get me wrong, I still REALLY want a nice jazz, but a solo'd neck J pup cannot match the tone of a P pup IMO...

I have a MIM P-bass that I converted to a PJ setup, but often think that given the chance I would perfer a J body (but keeping the P neck) as the shape is so much better. I might make one eventually if i can get hold of a Jazz body to make a template from.

I say go for it. It can always be un-done. Its only wood at the end of the day, and it's hidden under a plate.

[sniggering to self at "P-hole"] :brow:

I love my Frank Bello :) Quarter Pound P pup & P neck too! Suits me sir.

Edit: Better picture & Fender spiel added.
"Now you can “bring the noise” with Fender’s new Frank Bello Bass guitar, a sleek, all-black tone monster that'll easily take whatever you dish out and then laugh about it. A true hybrid, it has a slab-cut alder Jazz Bass body and a modern C-shaped maple Precision Bass neck with matching black headstock. The thunder comes from a Seymour Duncan® Basslines SPB-3 Quarter Pound split-coil Precision Bass pickup and a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless™ Jazz Bass pickup; the only onboard control is for volume!
Other features include Fender/Schaller® Deluxe Lite-Bass straight-shaft tuning machines, a Badass® III bridge, “Fender Bass” headstock decal, Bello caricature on the back of the headstock and his signature on the neck plate."

Edited by KiOgon

I've wondered how close you can get to a P tone in a j-pup form factor. I would be interested to hear how this Nordstrand pickup performed:

'nj4se
humbucking split coil 4 string jazz-type bass pickups

These are a split coil hum cancelling design. They use the same hand wound pattern found on our NJ4's but with a finer wire called 43 gauge enamel. The natural character of this design is to have a more pronounced lower midrange, and a slightly muted high end'

They suggest using it at the bridge but it sounds like it could do a job in the neck position assuming they make one that size too.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='757579' date='Feb 25 2010, 09:13 PM']Very tasty, KiOgon! :)[/quote]
Cheers m'dear - still 'pimpin & plinkin' only just got it!

I tried an Aerodyne at GAK a month or 3 back, but the Bello is just so much sweeter :lol: The P pup is terrific - the samarium(?) Jazz pup is a bit low on snarl factor, still tinkering :rolleyes:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='757670' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:27 PM']Cheers m'dear - still 'pimpin & plinkin' only just got it!

I tried an Aerodyne at GAK a month or 3 back, but the Bello is just so much sweeter :lol: The P pup is terrific - the samarium(?) Jazz pup is a bit low on snarl factor, still tinkering :)[/quote]

If that was me I'd whack in one of those humbucking Jazz pups :rolleyes:

Wasn't there a black Lakland DJ5 with PJ config on here a little while ago?

I remember frothing at the mouth at it.

EDIT:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72466&hl=Lakland"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=Lakland[/url]

Here. Whoever bought that is one lucky bugger. That bass is sex with strings!

Edited by woodyratm

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='757876' date='Feb 26 2010, 08:57 AM']Squier do a Frank Bello sig too, although it's got a big dirty skull on it[/quote]
Yes IMO it's fugly & why put a Jazz neck on it? I think the Fender version is a serious tool, the Squire? Frank(ly) not! :)