Why become a member? ×

Why are Fodera's so expensive

paulie

[quote name='paulie' post='753066' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:16 PM']Dont get me wrong, they look like gorgeous basses but why on earth are Fodera's as expensive as they are?

Are they just the "in thing" at the moment or am I missing something.

Your thoughts please[/quote]

Simple economics. Beautifully crafted, played by some of the best in the world, supply considerably less than demand = £££. If they were overpriced they wouldn't exist, which is quite different from the "ethical" arguments about whether any bass is ever worth over [state a price between £500 and £2000]. Dont think they've particularly become more fashionable recently (then again what do I know) unlike Ritter that I have gone from barely having heard of to "must have" in 2 years or so.

Edited by RichardFoggo

They're priced where they're priced because of demand and carefully cultivated status (eg. endorsements with so many jazz/fusion players). They have a 2 year waiting list even though the necks are left to settle for 2 years anyway.

Even so, in the US its not uncommon to MAKE something more desirable by charging more for it. Will Lee bumped his pay rate to triple and quadruple scale in the 80's just to weed out the not-so-keen producers. It ended up having exactly the opposite effect.

Fodera quality is available from a number of other luthiers too. Those other luthiers won't make you look like a NY jazz bassist though. :)

its all done with smoke and mirrors

In my opinion Rickenbackers are overpriced - terrible bridges that are fiddly at best to adjust, bridge surrounds that lacerate your fingers, 2 truss rods that work differently to nearly every other bass in existence and that most people are scared to touch, uncomfortable slab body, the midnight blue ones a couple of years ago had a finish that ran underneath the top varnish onto the binding. That and they sound nothing like they do on the records.

The price has increased by about 50% in the past couple of years and you have to wait however long now to get one.

Doesn't stop me wanting a C64, V63 or the daddy - the CS, though :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='753141' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:38 PM']its all done with smoke and mirrors

In my opinion Rickenbackers are overpriced - terrible bridges that are fiddly at best to adjust, bridge surrounds that lacerate your fingers, 2 truss rods that work differently to nearly every other bass in existence and that most people are scared to touch, uncomfortable slab body, the midnight blue ones a couple of years ago had a finish that ran underneath the top varnish onto the binding. That and they sound nothing like they do on the records.

The price has increased by about 50% in the past couple of years and you have to wait however long now to get one.

Doesn't stop me wanting a C64, V63 or the daddy - the CS, though :)[/quote]

Two year waiting, last I heard. What are the workers doing?

[quote name='paulie' post='753066' date='Feb 21 2010, 06:16 PM']Dont get me wrong, they look like gorgeous basses but why on earth are Fodera's as expensive as they are?

Are they just the "in thing" at the moment or am I missing something.

Your thoughts please[/quote]

You could also ask why would some-one buy a Porsche when you can buy a Fiesta, well the answer lies in the scale between econmics & desire.
Moreover you only you can decide that, all I can suggest is to try one it may not necessarily be something that you want.
The other thing to consider is that they are handmade with a lot of exotic woods that are made to your specification, they are certainly not churned out like cars.
Anyway this the an opinion of some-one that went from Music Man Stingrays>ken Smith>Fodera and utterly hooked, because of the sound, feel, workmanship & finally easy to play.

That's my 2 scents :)

Edited by yybass

[quote name='budget bassist' post='753156' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:46 PM']They charge that much simply because they can. Although the one that really worries me is alembic. How can anyone justify charging 8 grand for a bass and then have the audacity to put plastic control knobs on it and lay them out with all the efficiency of a toddler?!?![/quote]
Ha ha,but for some reason I would still have one if I had the cash,ever since seeing Stan the man doin school daze on an old video,mmm

I think it is a combination of the quality of the design, craftmanship, materials, reputation and desirability. As others have said, they wouldn't sell otherwise. I reckon the last two probably put a 50% premium on their price but that is what happens to things that are both extremely good and highly desirable.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='753184' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:00 PM']Ha ha,but for some reason I would still have one if I had the cash,ever since seeing Stan the man doin school daze on an old video,mmm[/quote]
They're a bit too flash for me.... and besides, i don't think they're worth anywhere near even half what they sell for. I mean, 4 grand is a LOT to drop on a bass, but £8k+? ridiculous, and i don't see them using any superior woods/techniques that are different to say what jon shuker would use, and he likely wouldn't charge more than (or even close to) 3 grand for a bass of that caliber.

ANY object bass or otherwise is worth what another person is willing to pay for it.

Clearly Fodera can charge what they do because folks will still want them. Same with Rics and Alembics. The same could be said for Gibson and Fender which I firmly belive are way overpriced for what they are.

None of those 5 float my boat. However were PRSs 2-3 or even 4 times more expensive I would still have one, even if I could only afford 1.

Why? because they would be worth it to me.

It seems there is a lot of either genuine of psuedo anti-feeling for expensive basses at the moment on here.

Some basses are expensive, get over it, but dont slag them or the folks that make or buy them, off please.

Its unnecassary and frankly a bit boring now.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='753232' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:44 PM']It seems there is a lot of either genuine of psuedo anti-feeling for expensive basses at the moment on here.

Some basses are expensive, get over it, but dont slag them or the folks that make or buy them, off please.

Its unnecassary and frankly a bit boring now.[/quote]
I think because manufacturers such as squier etc are making such quality affordable basses that some of the stuff that fender and the like churn out just seems very very expensive for what it is, and i have to agree - to a point. At the end of the day, is £2000 fender really going to sound 100x better than a £200 or so squier VMJ?

[quote name='budget bassist' post='753259' date='Feb 21 2010, 09:07 PM']I think because manufacturers such as squier etc are making such quality affordable basses that some of the stuff that fender and the like churn out just seems very very expensive for what it is, and i have to agree - to a point. At the end of the day, is £2000 fender really going to sound 100x better than a £200 or so squier VMJ?[/quote]
Yes!

[quote name='yybass' post='753267' date='Feb 21 2010, 09:16 PM']Yes![/quote]

(in game show host style) You're wrrrrrrong I'm afraid, so you don't win a prize.

Also the analogy between expensive basses and why buy a Porsche when you can have a Fiesta, just doesn't stack up.
At the risk of getting ripped apart by the rest of you, the difference between say a standard stock instrument of very good quality and reasonable price tag and these very expensive basses is just simply not that big. You argue about materials, craftsmenship, core tone, electronics and all the other bits, the gap is not that big.
Why can Fodera charge that much, because we've all become self indulgent and selfish. 'Oh I couldn't possibly pay a little more tax so someone can have maybe the access to life saving cancer drugs' but I can indulge myself in very expensive well anything. It's crap just admit it. We're all hypocrites.

Waits for the wrath of basschaters to ensue. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='753281' date='Feb 21 2010, 09:46 PM'](in game show host style) You're wrrrrrrong I'm afraid, so you don't win a prize.

Also the analogy between expensive basses and why buy a Porsche when you can have a Fiesta, just doesn't stack up.
At the risk of getting ripped apart by the rest of you, the difference between say a standard stock instrument of very good quality and reasonable price tag and these very expensive basses is just simply not that big. You argue about materials, craftsmenship, core tone, electronics and all the other bits, the gap is not that big.
Why can Fodera charge that much, because we've all become self indulgent and selfish. 'Oh I couldn't possibly pay a little more tax so someone can have maybe the access to life saving cancer drugs' but I can indulge myself in very expensive well anything. It's crap just admit it. We're all hypocrites.

Waits for the wrath of basschaters to ensue. :)[/quote]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they don't necsessarily have to justufy it, which was succinctly stated in a previous response and I really don't understand why you should expect abuse.
Anyway, I will continue to enjoy my Ken Smith & Fodera Basses

Edited by yybass

Hah, no i agree with you marvin... though i'm not going to go into politics, as that's a whole other kettle of fish. I've played a few fenders and squiers and other very expensive and not so expensive basses, and to be honest, yes the expensive ones were better.... though not always "X thousand pounds" better. At the end of the day though, it's down to the person what they spend their money on... but some basses are just very very overpriced for what they are, just imagine the top suits at gibson sitting in their hot tubs giggling to themselves about how they managed to flog their latest "special edition" les paul 12th anniversary of god knows what they've come up with this time to some flash yank for $15k. Bastards.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='yybass' post='753267' date='Feb 21 2010, 09:16 PM']Yes![/quote]

Not necessarily.

I noticed that you have some very expensive instruments so you obviously believe it,but lets look at
things slightly differently.
I've played some expensive basses,including Fodera,and they are very nice instruments,but are they really
5K better than,say,a Shuker or GB? I have to say no,I don't think they are.

Just out of interest,and from looking at your collection, are you a pro player or are you more of a hobbyist/collector?

Wood = £100, maybe £150 tops if you've got something really special.
Hardware = £150 trade for the best if you buy in bulk.
Electronics = £150 - if you've got hand-wired PU's and a good circuit.
Time to put everything together (assuming woods are aged) = about 20 hours at, say £50 an hour (for a top luthier).
The above includes finishing, or if your luthier doesn't do it in house you'll probably be looking at £100-£150 for a pro finish.

Grand total = £1600.
Average Fodera = £5000+
Yes, there are designs, protoypes, hunting for and drying woods. But I'm sure the maths are there for all to see.

Is a Burberry bag really worth £1,250, or does exclusivity make the price acceptable?
I bought a jumper today for £28. I happen to know that it was made in China and cost about $2 to manufacture.

If Fodera charged £20,000 for their base model they'd soon be out of business.
They're just charging what the market will bear.

Warwick are charging £6300 for the Adam Clayton signature. Perhaps that destroys my theory straight away :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='753141' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:38 PM']its all done with smoke and mirrors

Doesn't stop me wanting a C64, V63 or the daddy - the CS, though :)[/quote]

Overpriced? A through-neck bass with pretty much all the parts made in house, with a bound body and fingerboard and inlays that are rather more complex than dots, with a time-consuming finishing process and a unique feel and sound, and yet it's cheaper than a custom shop Fender which is basically two simple bits of wood bolted together. :rolleyes: The rest is purely personal. I'll agree that the bridge is an arse to adjust but if the surround lacerates your fingers don't play there or use a pick! I find the body far more comfortable than a typical Fender so that is also purely personal. As for not sounding like they do on record, you obviously have no idea (as many people seem not to) how to eq them, or it's simply your technique. "I bought a Jazz bass but sound nothing like Jaco. Why?" :lol:

FWIW, I've had 2 CSs and a V63 and I much prefer my '72 and '73 (and my old '73 4000) to any of them.

why are cheap basses so cheap? I mean, someone somewhere is really getting screwed, probably. Think of all those poor little children, with no workers rights and slave wages that have toiled night and day building that cheap bass for you in the far east.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='753367' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:16 PM']why are cheap basses so cheap? I mean, someone somewhere is really getting screwed, probably. Think of all those poor little children, with no workers rights and slave wages that have toiled night and day building that cheap bass for you in the far east.[/quote]
You make a very good & relevant point. Have a skim through this site:

[url="http://cortaction.wordpress.com/"]http://cortaction.wordpress.com/[/url]

And that's Korea - one can imagine it's not going to be better for workers in China, Taiwan, Indonesia etc necessarily.

Jon.