Why become a member? ×

Do I need a Jazz?

martthebass

It's fair enough for him to question your tone, but you shouldn't have to give up a bass you love.

If you and the drummer (and anyone else in the band) thinks it's ok, maybe he should go and buy a bass for you. If he has the problem with the tone and someone has to buy a new bass, surely it should be him?

On another note, there's plenty you can do to change your tone. New amp, graphic EQ, FX, different strings, different pickups, different techniques, amp sim (line 6 or the like). There's loads of options and most of them are a fair bit cheaper than buying a new bass and almost all of them won't require you to sell one of your current basses or risk pissing off the missus.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

You can't get rid of any of your basses, you've given them names. That makes them almost family. It would be like casting out your own kin.
Have you considered one of those multi fx modelling pedals? As Mr Silddx says you can make any bass sound like a cat with bowel problems if you're so inclined. I've got one - please note zoom b1 in sig, not a cat with bowel problems - and you can create some very different sounds and feel to your bass.

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='retroman' post='747977' date='Feb 17 2010, 07:21 AM']I recommend turning up to rehearsal with an old EB2, and a wall of 18's...........They'll all be begging you to bring the 'Ray to the next rehersal!! :)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

That would just be cruel.

I think you need to interrogate the singer. He may have a valid point but "in your face" doesn't really give you a lot to work with.

If he isn't a muso you're going to have to tease what he actually means out of him. Can't believe you can't get an acceptable sound for this band out of your Ray.

If you still can't get to the bottom of it, kill him.

I had a `Ray for 15 years and played this in all sorts of bands, Funk Bands, Rock Bands, Ska Bands, Soul Bands- it could do everything- thats what EQ and fingers are for.

Mind you- I have now gone back to a Fender jazz! What does that say about me?

I`m not really one to change my bass too often but playing my deluxe was just like going home.

Bob

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='747936' date='Feb 17 2010, 01:40 AM']On another note, there's plenty you can do to change your tone. New amp, graphic EQ, FX, different strings, different pickups, different techniques, amp sim (line 6 or the like). There's loads of options and most of them are a fair bit cheaper than buying a new bass and almost all of them won't require you to sell one of your current basses or risk pissing off the missus.[/quote]

Have you though of a valve preamp for a little old-style grit? Maybe then you could take some mid out of the ray without feeling it's too smooth at the bottom.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
Don't think I'll go down the flats route tho - hate them on fretted basses, I agree with Rich on this one.
I'll try a bit more fiddling with the 2 end knobs on the LM in the meantime. I'll also keep an eye out for a jazz type trade for my 30th.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='749745' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:36 PM']I can't see any use for flatwound strings, apart from hanging oneself!

They've always sounded to me as if I've suddenly lost the top end frequencies of my hearing. Dull and not nice.[/quote]

Yeah, I am not a fan either, tried them once on a nice Fender P and I swore never to bother again, cause they killed the sound. I'd sooner have mutes on a MusicMan so you can have them on or off if you fancy a bit of rough every now and then but not for keeps, no.

As I recall a 2 band EQ MM would have 15db of boost on both bass and treble... so that is a LOT of sound and MM can be over bearing in this thoughtless guise, IMV.

I always ran mine with full cut and eventually swapped out the active pup altogether as I wanted to keep the bass as it was a great player.
I wanted to get away from that sound that comes so easy to MM basses...and wanted something a bit more cultured and subtle.
Running them at full boost AINT subtle by any stretch and the singer may have a point. Of course, he may not have as well, but you are the only ones..and the rest of the band who can tell which way to go.

As wider issue, things like this should be discussed and worked through as a band so the end result is an improvment... egos, and the rest should be kept in check. Not saying there are egos at work in the instance, but as a general position..

As for should you have a Jazz.... ? yes, of course you should, IMV.

[quote name='martthebass' post='747825' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:28 PM']Hi A, hows it going?

The Status does get a fair amount of use (in the trio I also play in) but for this band there's a 'need' to use something a bit more 'traditional' looking. The 30th is a bit smoother, more refined than the maple board standard Ray that it replaced but at the end of the day it's still an active single pup bass.

I'm sure that a 2010 Jazz would suit (or a Lakky JO) but it would mean ousting the Ray - not an easy decision (as these don't come up everyday).[/quote]
Good ta Mart...i would give the Ray a bit of time...rash changes in bass like these end in tears ( i know )...i personally liked Labella flats on my Jazz..of course you cant expect the zing of the rounds your used to, but thats not the point...Eq'd right (roll off the mids in the S4 case)they can sound really nice..Lovely lovely lovely, i will add wonderful smooth to the touch feel, they give also...slide vibrato heaven

Although a respected ear is due to any band member, it seems a little harsh for you to take it to sell/change your bass...

im sure you are... but think it over and cover all options

[quote name='alanbass1' post='751428' date='Feb 19 2010, 10:26 PM']Been thinking about this and of course you do. How could you think of not needing one....go ouyt a get one immediately![/quote]
Sound advice, however after due consideration I feel I want to live out the remainder of my days with my danglies still attached.
Also after consideration I decided to tell the vocalist to stick to singing. The 2 guitarists and the drummer are cool with the Ray in the mix as it is and on some of the 'softer' numbers I agreed to try the Perception fretless to see if it added anything to the general sound.

[quote name='martthebass' post='751450' date='Feb 19 2010, 11:04 PM']Sound advice, however after due consideration I feel I want to live out the remainder of my days with my danglies still attached.
Also after consideration I decided to tell the vocalist to stick to singing. The 2 guitarists and the drummer are cool with the Ray in the mix as it is and on some of the 'softer' numbers I agreed to try the Perception fretless to see if it added anything to the general sound.[/quote]

OVERWATER JAZZ?

[quote name='merello' post='747780' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:55 PM']Tell the singer that in his case, his face needs an aggressive sound![/quote]

And I'm for an even more aggressive approach............. !!!

Fair play - it's good for band members to discuss each others sound. The whole point of a band is for it to sound good as a unit BUT it's your sound and you seem happy with it. You also have the Status and mention it's versatility.

Should you get a Jazz?? Yes , because you've liked the ones you've had - Yes , if you fancy one - Yes , if you think , on reflection , it would make a real contribution to your band's sound that your other instruments can't - Yes for a thousand reasons ......

But if it's just because the singer thinks you should...... NO !!!!