Why become a member? ×

Do I need a Jazz?

martthebass

I've been here before.

I've had 3 Fender jazzes over the last 20 years. A 1982 Fullerton was my first. I ended up getting gas for a Ray so it went after a couple of years. The second was a 1996 MIM that served as my main gigging bass for about 5 years (to spare the Ray the grot holes I was playing), I ended up pxing that against a Corvette for no other reason than boredom. The last Jazz was a 1999 US fretless that was pretty good but I convinced myself I wanted to go five string (I didn't as it happens) so off it went.

So zoom forward to 2010. I thought my current 3 covered everything I needed, the Overwater is a pretty decent Fretless - much too good for a part timer like myself. The Status is just sublime, fits just about every situation sonically (and gravitationally) and the Stingray cuts through and works great in full on Rawk. So anyway, having got over the fact that this Ray weighs a few pounds more the other 2 basses (the OW is surprisingly light), I've started using it routinely for rehearsals with a new band. I thought the Ray would fit in nicely, the set was a mix of light rock (70's stuff mainly) and rock n roll so I was a bit surprised when the singer commented that my sound was a bit 'in your face'. I hate playing around too much with settings etc on stage so I'm thinking the core sound of the Ray might not be for the best here. So, does anyone have any suggestions considering the gear I currently have (in my sig) towards achieving band satisfaction or should I bite the bullet, sell the Ray and buy another Jazz type?

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Moos3h' post='747766' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:45 PM']Grab yourself a Classic Vibe Jazz...cheap but powerful antidote to the illness you are suffering from![/quote]

I'd love to add a 'cheapish' jazz to the collection but in order to keep the peace I agreed to a 3 bass max rule with 'her that must be obeyed' some years back

Have you tried the Status for the band..?

The S4 sure does have some punch, but it depends on the fingers.... have you asked the other band members what they think...

im a big Jazz fan and i think everyone should have one in there arsenal....Get a new Fender 2010 and im sure you and they will love it...

Blimey that's a problem, you've got 3 basses that are great and you obviously would like to keep.
Have tried the Status in your new band? Just a thought.
It's that or just belt the singer round the back of the head with the Stingray so he gets tinnitus, so he'll be so distracted by the ringing in his ears he won't mention your ray again. :)

EDIT: Beaten to the Status suggestion, darn :rolleyes:

Edited by Marvin

Re-eq. Use the tone controls. Whatever. You should be able to get a less in-your-face sound from the Ray. Bernard Edwards used one and he wasn't exactly in-your-face (just sublime :) ). My mate Stu swears by his and he doesn't use that typical Ray sound and plays 70s stuff.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='747801' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:08 PM']Have you tried the Status for the band..?

The S4 sure does have some punch, but it depends on the fingers.... have you asked the other band members what they think...

im a big Jazz fan and i think everyone should have one in there arsenal....Get a new Fender 2010 and im sure you and they will love it...[/quote]

Hi A, hows it going?

The Status does get a fair amount of use (in the trio I also play in) but for this band there's a 'need' to use something a bit more 'traditional' looking. The 30th is a bit smoother, more refined than the maple board standard Ray that it replaced but at the end of the day it's still an active single pup bass.

I'm sure that a 2010 Jazz would suit (or a Lakky JO) but it would mean ousting the Ray - not an easy decision (as these don't come up everyday).

Guest johnzgerman

tell the singer he has'nt got enough stage presence and you are making up for his shortcomings with some in your face bass, then ignore the wife and buy another stingray anyway.

[quote name='4000' post='747814' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:19 PM']Re-eq. Use the tone controls. Whatever. You should be able to get a less in-your-face sound from the Ray. Bernard Edwards used one and he wasn't exactly in-your-face (just sublime :) ). My mate Stu swears by his and he doesn't use that typical Ray sound and plays 70s stuff.[/quote]

Done lots of fiddling.........any suggestions? Would like to dial out top end without the bass getting excessive. I think the singer was referring to being able to 'hear' notes more than feel them (no accounting for taste), I do tend to play a little 'clicky' when I dig in but I like a low action (spoiled by the Status!).

Edited by martthebass

[Rant] Mart! No! No! No!

[u][b]Do not under any circumstances[/b][/u] let some t**t of a singer, or for that matter, anyone [period] dictate to you about your sound. You have some of the lovliest basses both in looks and sound & your rig is top notch, too. As far as the singist goes (for singer, read failed musician) just ignore him!

I'll bet he comes from the school of thought that says, "bass should be felt and not heard." Cock!

[/Rant]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Beedster' post='747837' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:44 PM']A less in your face Stingray is called a Precision[/quote]

Love em Chris, unfortunately drummers have destroyed my hearing to the point where I can't hear them anymore :)

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='747834' date='Feb 16 2010, 10:41 PM'][Rant] Mart! No! No! No!

[u][b]Do not under any circumstances[/b][/u] let some t**t of a singer, or for that matter, anyone [period] dictate to you about your sound. You have some of the lovliest basses both in looks and sound & your rig is top notch, too. As far as the singist goes (for singer, read failed musician) just ignore him!

I'll bet he comes from the school of thought that says, "bass should be felt and not heard." Cock!

[/Rant][/quote]

Rich,

do you mind if I print this out and pin it to the front of my cab (124 Font - Arial BOLD)?

[quote name='martthebass' post='747770' date='Feb 16 2010, 09:46 PM']I'd love to add a 'cheapish' jazz to the collection but in order to keep the peace I agreed to a 3 bass max rule with 'her that must be obeyed' some years back[/quote]

Well look at what I did

YES you do need a Jazz and a Classic Vibe measures up to the big boys holding it's own proudly and masterfully.

[quote][Rant] Mart! No! No! No!

Do not under any circumstances let some t**t of a singer, or for that matter, anyone [period] dictate to you about your sound. You have some of the lovliest basses both in looks and sound & your rig is top notch, too. As far as the singist goes (for singer, read failed musician) just ignore him!

[/Rant][/quote]

I can appreciate the humour of this :rolleyes: but - at the same time, I think it might be worth valuing his or her opinion as I can appreciate that Stingray-esque sounding basses can across as overly aggressive, or just simply not right for the overall sound of the band. Who knows - as in this situation, it might prompt you to possibly realise that getting something such as a Jazz bass could suit the kind of music you play a lot more! Have you also thought about the possibly of something like a Lakland 44-01 or 55-01 (unashamedly based on a recent purchase of mine :) ) or maybe something like a Yamaha TRB? These kinds of basses seem to be very good at doing vintage-style two pickup/single pickup sounds, but at the same time don't sound *completely* vintage-esque and can sometimes offer (objectively) better playability. These could be a good start.

It may be your sound and your equipment, and this should be respected, but IMHO the band is as a whole a package to be respected, which may (or may not) involve making decisions such as this. I would be happy that another member of my band made a suggestion about my bass sound, full stop!

I would guess playing style and technique would be cheaper to try changing than a whole bass?
Raise the strings, this will stop the percussive and trebbly clicking. IMHO 'clicking' is the preserve of the drummer on his ride. You don't [i]need[/i] them that low, your hands will get strong enough.
This will also increase the distance from the pup, the signal will not be quite so full on.
Where do you play (if fingerstyle) move your hand away from the bridge..... immediately less in your face.

Try a more old school eq on the amp. boost the top and bottom, cut the mids (in a musicaly good sounding way)
Yes, here we will hear the next hundred posts saying how the mid is where the tone is and to boost the mids, from running sound desks there is not much worse than instruments boosting the sound in places that instrument doesn't need to be boosted. Often vox, guitars and keys will be compeating for the same muddled midtones, the last thing you need often is the bass player sticking himself there too. Unless you've worked out your sounds and how they work [i]together[/i].

It's a bass, in most occasions we play in bands, we play a role in that band in how the music works, the music should be more important than any of the players. The singer is quite right to question your tone, they may be wrong, but its not bad to question it

Given that singers know very little about anything, least of all bass tone, perhaps it was just a roundabout way of asking you to turn it down a bit. Some singers are funny like that. Very...oblique, shall we say.

"That's a very punchy sound you've got there" = Turn it down

"I can hear every note you're playing" = Turn it down

"The guitars sound a bit toppy tonight - are you in their frequency?" = Turn it down

"I'm going to stand outside and listen to what it sounds like" = Turn it down

"Thanks for your contribution, but we need a different kind of bass player, best of luck in the future" = You just wouldn't turn it down :)

In any event, get a Jazz. Everyone should have at least one Jazz.

Edited by skankdelvar