Why become a member? ×

Bands similar to Jamiroquai??

Linus27

I have kind of been getting into some Jamiroquai stuff recently and enjoying that poppy/jazz drum/bass/keyboard type of sound. I really love the Jamiroquai songs Space Cowboy, Cosmic Girl, Runaway, Too Young to Die, Alright, Blow Your Mind, Little L, Love Foolosophy and Virtual Insanity.

Can anyone recommend some other bands/artists similar to Jamiroquai with a similar sound/style?

Thanks You.

Lots of similar stuff to check out, Incognitio etc. Worth checking out some of the older Acid Jazz stuff like The New Jersey Kings, Corduroy, Mother Earth, possibly even Galliano.

Another one defo worth checking out( If you can find them!) is Jaguar, who are like an Icelandic version of Jamiroquai. Some top bass lines!

The thing about Jamiroquai is that they kind of changed with the times. Started off very Acid Jazz and developed their sound. I think the Stevie Wonder comparison is a bit of a cheap shot. I'd be pointing the finger at other bands before JK I think!

[quote name='kets' post='745433' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:29 AM']Lots of similar stuff to check out, Incognitio etc. Worth checking out some of the older Acid Jazz stuff like The New Jersey Kings, Corduroy, Mother Earth, possibly even Galliano.[/quote]

The "New Jersey Kings" is JTQ. That 'Party To The Bus Stop' album was great though. :)

As for Galliano, all of their albums are very different, give them a preview first.

[quote name='chris_b' post='745463' date='Feb 15 2010, 01:15 AM']What about The Brand New Heavies?[/quote]
Very much prefer Brand New Heavies to Jamiroquai. BNH have a much better sound going on. Learnt a few of their songs just before christmas, got some really nice grooves. And if you get stuck Stuart Clayton has transcribed the Brother Sister album.
There is also the fact that the singer(s) in BNH is much preferable to JK, especially N'Dea Davenport

Yeah JTQ changed their name to New Jersey Kings just for the US market - not sure why?

I remember when I was in the states in 1996 and picked up a copy of Party To The Bus Stop and thought I had found an excellent acid jazz type band to get into. I was therefore not surprised to be told that it was actually JTQ!! Mind you that was in the days when they were good and didn't pump out the sh*t like they do now!

In answer to the opening thread have you checked out Lettuce or The Haggis Horns? Both have some great grooves going on.

My current project Zang Tang has had the age old "sounds a bit like Jamiroquai" thrown at it! No I don't dispute that Zender was a big influence on me! Anyway go to www.myspace.com/zangtangband and have a listen I would say that the tracks Daylights and House of Zang have that kind of feel about them.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='745484' date='Feb 15 2010, 04:20 AM']The "New Jersey Kings" is JTQ. That 'Party To The Bus Stop' album was great though. :)

As for Galliano, all of their albums are very different, give them a preview first.[/quote]

Galliano have moved therer sond around a bit. The era around Twyford down was cool!

Acid jazz used to do compiliation albums, I've ot a few somewhere, a good rane of sounds from funk, UK acid jazz, latin etc, I bought albums by several artists on the strength of what I heard on those CD's

Also try Mr Exe, Count basic, Seven Eleven (with bootsy clone, Dodge), Roy ayres, Groove collective, Quantic soul, there's more, but most seem to appear on compilation albums, if you know where to look, you can find some serious funk. I rely on one of my mates for this particular genre!
Freakpower kind of had that sound around the tune in period, check out the album. Mother Earth, great band, saw them live once, check out the poeple tree!

Tony

Edited by sshorepunk

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='745712' date='Feb 15 2010, 11:57 AM']Acid jazz used to do compiliation albums, I've ot a few somewhere, a good rane of sounds from funk, UK acid jazz, latin etc, I bought albums by several artists on the strength of what I heard on those CD's[/quote]

One of the early ones; 'Acid Jazz and Other Illicit Grooves' has got some mega stuff on it - get it if you can find it.

Big +1 to Roy Ayers - the whole UK Acid Jazz sound was nicked from him, basically.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='gilmour' post='745731' date='Feb 15 2010, 12:12 PM']You should check out some Roy Ayres. I think he's another one that Jay Kay is, err, heavily influenced by.

Probably you'll also like Incognito.[/quote]

Also, check out 'Down To The Bone' especially their album 'Supercharged'. It includes a Roy Ayres track and there's some great basslines from Julian Crampton (Incognito,etc).

Oops, forgot the Brand New Heavies and Groove Collective! They are awesome and yes, Tower of Power as well.

Didn't realise that the New Jersey Kings were just JTQ re-badged, you learn something everyday on here.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned Galliano, they're not really similar.

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='746213' date='Feb 15 2010, 06:18 PM']JK put together a comp' album called late night tales ( a few artists have done this one) it is said to be made up of some of his influences, that may be a good place to start

Tony[/quote]

There's some really good stuff on it actually. There's nae Stevie Wonder though... :)

[quote name='Musicman69' post='745474' date='Feb 15 2010, 02:19 AM']Jamiroquai? I like them but just check out Tower of Power... top funky band, some of the basslines are so close it could be taken to court!! Im surprised TOP havent been mentioned here since Ive been on. Rocco Prestia is a legend.[/quote]

Some great lines but I much prefer Jamiroquai's first 3 albums to TOP.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/chromatoneband"]http://www.myspace.com/chromatoneband[/url]

UCL band, picked up the single to review them for the student magazine and they happened to be playing that night - went to check it out, and they put on a wicked live gig too.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='746503' date='Feb 15 2010, 08:50 PM']I'd agree with that - "Music of The Wind" is an absolute classic.[/quote]

Music of the Mind... Itunes royally messed that one up and called it the wrong thing on their database!

+1 to Brand New Heavies though! Andrew Levy lays some serious grooves down, but be prepared for terrible lyrics and general radio friendly cheesy ness.