Why become a member? ×

Zero fret

jezzaboy

[quote name='Bassassin' post='739509' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:41 PM']It's an incredibly sensible idea which for some reason has been tarred with the notion that it's a cheapskate corner cut.

All basses & guitars should have zero-frets. You know it makes sense.

Jon.[/quote]
See? Now we understand each other :)

[quote name='ped' post='739529' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:54 PM']How come?[/quote]
Because he focuses on what is necessary and what is usable. He abhors unneeded traditionalism and does what is practical with exceptional quality and attention to detail. He abhors glued in necks and vehemently denies they have any use whatsoever which really floats my monkey.

That said, there is no way in hell I would be happy with your bass which I played at the SE BB. It required too delicate a touch. But I dare say I could higher the action a bit :)

In a slightly different sense, Martin Carthy tells the story of his ...er... Martin 000-18MC "Martin Carthy Signature Model". He's always preferred a zero fret and asked Martin (the company) to put one on his Sig.

"Oh no," say Martin, "[i]We[/i] don't do zero frets. Mark of the amateur. Well-known fact".

"Oh dear," replies Carthy, not to be denied. "Over in Europe [i]everybody[/i] and his dog uses zero fret guitars. Leave the zero fret off and this guitar won't sell sell a single unit."

"Ah. Right. Well, I suppose you know your market best," concede Martin and off they go to re-tool.

Suckers.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='740299' date='Feb 9 2010, 07:33 PM']In a slightly different sense, Martin Carthy tells the story of his ...er... Martin 000-18MC "Martin Carthy Signature Model". He's always preferred a zero fret and asked Martin (the company) to put one on his Sig.

"Oh no," say Martin, "[i]We[/i] don't do zero frets. Mark of the amateur. Well-known fact".

"Oh dear," replies Carthy, not to be denied. "Over in Europe [i]everybody[/i] and his dog uses zero fret guitars. Leave the zero fret off and this guitar won't sell sell a single unit."

"Ah. Right. Well, I suppose you know your market best," concede Martin and off they go to re-tool.

Suckers.[/quote]
That's right. Martin Carthy does know best.