Why become a member? ×

What's the smallest, loudest compact bass rig you can think of?

phil_the_bassist

Vaguely on topic, if only to discount one particular item. I'm on a (I believe pointless and soon to be abandoned) quest for a cheap, lightweight combo capable of competing with drummer and 2 x guitarists purely for rehearsing. Whilst idly eBaying I noticed a Hartke A100 and the seller lives close enough for me to give it a try. I have read that Hartke 100W amps are a 'loud' 100W, and that 23kg is a reasonable one handed lift.

First thing I did was pick it up - yes, a one handed lift but a heavy one. I wouldn't want to walk too far carrying it one handed. Then volume. Sounds ok, I said, can we crank it up? Er, it is on max. Nowhere near. I am sure not all 100W are created equal but certainly this amp wouldn't make enough noise.

[quote name='Pkomor' post='739130' date='Feb 8 2010, 05:04 PM']what about Gk like this?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74648"]link[/url][/quote]

That's the GK I was thinking of. My bass tutor uses one. Its a pretty nice sound. I haven't heard it at full chat yet though!
Line 6 moves an amazing amount of air for it's size.

Something also came to mind. I had a look inside my Line 6, and it made me think. The amp itself, is quite small, and would more than likely fit into a re-engineered box. Or event just a small wooden 'shoe' as the amp comes out with the face plate intact, so you would still have all buttons and printed plate in place.
The box, then, since is blanked off inside could be made smaller? I'm not sure about this, but I'm sure Alex from Bare Faced might be able to help you. If it did work, you should get two very small component parts with a goodly amount of oomph! PLus if the amp is in a back pack then it would be less likely to get weather damage, whereas the box, if needed could be replaced at a much smaller cost.

This is strictly theoretical as I have no idea about building cabs. But if the box is the same size, then why not.....no?

I know im going to start a debate about cab design now!

:)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='739687' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:17 AM']Can't you do a flat-pack light weight cab? Like a neo 12" or 15" mounted to a "baffle" (or whatever the front peice is) then 4 peices of light wood (or plastic?) that all clip together. Then it'd fit in a ruck sack.[/quote]

You could be onto something there. Quick! Patent the idea!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='739687' date='Feb 9 2010, 09:17 AM']Can't you do a flat-pack light weight cab? Like a neo 12" or 15" mounted to a "baffle" (or whatever the front peice is) then 4 peices of light wood (or plastic?) that all clip together. Then it'd fit in a ruck sack.[/quote]

Ive already tried to think that one out, but it fell down for me because the clips that would be strong enough to make it airtight and robust enough would also prevent it from flat packing. I dont know if there would be any saving of space.

Err, a 15 inch speaker in a rucksac? not good for aerodynamics on a bike eh!

Edited by Bass-ic

You would have the four outer sides all attached along the edge with a flexible plastic, so that they fold down. They have a little lip on the inside. The baffle and back sides have a bigger rubber lip on the inside to lock into the outer frame - no need for clips etc?

Tupperware cab!

But i'm no engineer.

[quote name='Tactician' post='740435' date='Feb 9 2010, 10:32 PM']I think it would have to be a cab with a 3012HO and front horn. So that would be about a 21" cube. And a nice little 300 watt into 8ohm head amp - a MAG 600 would do that job. You'd chuck out about 130 dbs with that pair.[/quote]
In your dreams. :)

Err. OK I just modelled it up - without the horn - that could add something like 3-5db - it would be 122db - so there you go - not far out. But an even smamler box of some 2000 cu inches. About 14" cube external dimensions. I'd estimate that would wiegh in at less than 20 lbs - the speaker is just over 7lbs of this.

[quote name='Tactician' post='741458' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:03 PM']Err. OK I just modelled it up - without the horn - that could add something like 3-5db - it would be 122db - so there you go - not far out. But an even smamler box of some 2000 cu inches. About 14" cube external dimensions. I'd estimate that would wiegh in at less than 20 lbs - the speaker is just over 7lbs of this.[/quote]
Perhaps you could go back to your model and ask it how close to 130dB your recommended system would be at 40Hz, or low E.