Why become a member? ×

What's the smallest, loudest compact bass rig you can think of?

phil_the_bassist

So, motorbike test is loooooooming (woohoo!), and I've got my Steinberger synapse, leads+tuner in neat little softcase that'll go on my back for travelling to gigs/lessons, but I'm going to need a little practice amp for rehearsals/small gigs that don't have their own amps provided.

Any recommendations? I'm not too sure of how small I'll need...but the best proportion of smallness and loudness is goood :)

*edit* including options like a little 2x10 or a 1x12 cab with a small-but-mighty amp perhaps?*/edit*

Edited by phil_the_bassist

I've got the whole DI box side of things sorted, but I:
[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='737955' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:42 AM']need a little practice amp for rehearsals/small gigs that don't have their own amps provided.[/quote]
so something that I can carry around to make my own noise, but is small enough to bungee down on a motorbike :)

As a lifelong biker I really would NOT recommend bungeeing a Midget to the back of a bike!

Too big, too bulky, too heavy. Strapped to the pillion seat and you won't be able to get off & on the bike. Use a rack and the bike will be so tail-heavy that the handling will be seriously sh*t.

Have a look at the Line 6 Lowdown range. The Studio 110 would probably get pretty close to ticking all your boxes.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='738116' date='Feb 7 2010, 02:25 PM']As a lifelong biker I really would NOT recommend bungeeing a Midget to the back of a bike!

Too big, too bulky, too heavy. Strapped to the pillion seat and you won't be able to get off & on the bike. Use a rack and the bike will be so tail-heavy that the handling will be seriously sh*t.

Have a look at the Line 6 Lowdown range. The Studio 110 would probably get pretty close to ticking all your boxes.[/quote]

Ahh, direct advice would also be good :) If thats what you'd recommend, then I'll look at that end of the options too!

[quote name='Marcus' post='738062' date='Feb 7 2010, 01:26 PM']The Markbass CMD112p will take some beating in the size/vol stakes

I played through one recently and all I can say is WOW !!!

(I don't WOW easily)[/quote]

I have one and it certainly handles rehearsals/small gigs with ease - would also be good for bigger gigs with an extension cab.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='737955' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:42 AM']So, motorbike test is loooooooming (woohoo!), and I've got my Steinberger synapse, leads+tuner in neat little softcase that'll go on my back for travelling to gigs/lessons, but I'm going to need a little practice amp for rehearsals/small gigs that don't have their own amps provided.

Any recommendations? I'm not too sure of how small I'll need...but the best proportion of smallness and loudness is goood :)

*edit* including options like a little 2x10 or a 1x12 cab with a small-but-mighty amp perhaps?*/edit*[/quote]

I suggest a MarkBass MiniMark. Bought one 18 months ago just for practice at home really, but I've since discovered the extent of its awesome capabilities.

I regularly use it for smaller gigs (DI'd), and always for band practices (on it's own) with two loud guitarists, vox, keys (sometimes) and full drum kit. As long as it's sitting on the floor it gives the most amazingly loud, full sound. And I've mainly used it with 5 string basses too.

Admittedly I need to turn the volume up to about the 3 o'clock position in these circumstances, but it has never distorted, clipped, overheated or otherwise complained.

More than once I've played full rehearsals with bands with this set up, and it's only at the end of the session that someone will notice where all that sound has been coming from, and say something along the lines of "wow, I assumed you'd DI'd it to the PA or had it hooked up to that 4x10 cab over there!" I never have, of course.

I also own a big, 500w MarkBass rig - but honestly don't need to use it most of the time.

I'm not on commission for MB, but am beginning to think I should be!

GK do a small 100-150 watt combo bass thing. other wise, the line 6 lowdown 110 is ideal. It's not too heavy and would be fine on a sports rack. I've just got one! Line 6 puts out about 75W. GK is slightly bigger in size tho

Beleive it or not harley davidson did a large rifle carryier that can be fitted to a motorbike. There was a place in North London that you could get one from. I'm just thinking that a hard case with something a like a pannier mount might be best for a small travelling headless bass.

Edited by Bass-ic

[quote name='Bass-ic' post='738779' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:49 AM']GK do a small 100-150 watt combo bass thing. other wise, the line 6 lowdown 110 is ideal. Its not too heavy and would be fine on a sports rack. I've just got one! Line 6 puts out about 75W. GK is slightly bigger in size tho

Beleive it or not harley davidson did a large rifle carrying thta can be fitted to a motorbike. There was aplce in north London that you coul dget one from. Im just thinkingtha a hard case with something ilike a pannier mount might be best foe a small travelling headless bass.[/quote]biked, but

Years ago, when I biked, I used to carry my gf and her cello on the pillion. It was fine unless there was a crosswind. :)