Why become a member? ×

What's the smallest, loudest compact bass rig you can think of?

phil_the_bassist

[quote name='stevie' post='741491' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:35 PM']Perhaps you could go back to your model and ask it how close to 130dB your recommended system would be at 40Hz, or low E.[/quote]
OK ...109 db at 40hz. Thought we were talking little bass cabs? If you use a 3015 in a bigger 4700 cu inch box I can get you up to 114db at 40hz on 300 watts. Any good? Of course if you are going bigger then the front horn cab comes back into play with all the gian you get from the horn / flare.

These new Neo's are powerful.

[quote name='Bass-ic' post='742004' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:58 PM']I'm sure the OP said smallest! 'course, the smallest may not be the loudest. So I read that as a maximum of a 10" speaker or something two 5" aka PJB. There's scope in there for someone, but I'm no expert.

:)[/quote]
I guess you can always fall back on small can't be loud as far as bass is concerned. And generally bass player are quire resistant to being seen with small systems however louyd they are. I'm sure anyone who markets a small system has to live with the sceptics who say it can't be done. The Phil Jones Bass company must live with that every day. "How can a system that small be serious?" But with new neo magnets (more powerful and lighter) and new designs for drivers developing small is possible. It's just difficult to convince players who look at 50 years of huge cabs and say it must be that way, it's always been that way. But the history is intersting. When I first started playing the most powerful speakers were about 25 watt - hence the 4x12 and 2x4x12 stacks. Now we can outperform those speakers with a single driver. (Ask anyone with an old 60's Marshall 45 watt bass amp and 4x12 who's A/B'd it with new equipment - nostalga is a great enhancer of reality.)

A small cube speaker cab with a small comapct , but powerful amp is a reality. They are out their to buy and to build. But I don't see many bassplayers I teach, or others I see around, wanting to be seen in front of small systems. They want to stand in front of 2x2x15", 2x4x12" and 8x10" cabs and plenty of them - at least whatever mum and dad can buy. When did you last see a bass player at a concert standing beside a couple of 14" cube cabs and an amp smaller than micro hi-fi?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='738116' date='Feb 7 2010, 02:25 PM']As a lifelong biker I really would NOT recommend bungeeing a Midget to the back of a bike!

Too big, too bulky, too heavy. Strapped to the pillion seat and you won't be able to get off & on the bike. Use a rack and the bike will be so tail-heavy that the handling will be seriously sh*t.[/quote]

Come on Jack, where's your sense of adventure?

I used to work with a guy who used to cart all his diving equipment, excluding cylinder but including everything else including weights on the back of a Triumph Tiger by using a large plastic box bungeed to the seat and a big backpack.

I've transported my Tecamp Puma 110 combo on the carrier of my folding bicycle once or twice, although admittedly not for very long distances. I think you could bungee one of these onto a reasonable carrier and it might fit into a big top box or pannier.

[quote name='Tactician' post='742119' date='Feb 11 2010, 02:25 PM']A small cube speaker cab with a small comapct , but powerful amp is a reality. They are out their to buy and to build. But I don't see many bassplayers I teach, or others I see around, wanting to be seen in front of small systems. They want to stand in front of 2x2x15", 2x4x12" and 8x10" cabs and plenty of them - at least whatever mum and dad can buy. When did you last see a bass player at a concert standing beside a couple of 14" cube cabs and an amp smaller than micro hi-fi?[/quote]

Arranging a gig for next month I've just been on the phone to one of the other bands saying they can use my 2x12 bass rig. At first they insisted I use theirs (an Ashdown 410 and some amp or other), but I think I've just about managed to explain to them adequately that mine will be much louder than theirs despite being half the size and weighing half as much. They still don't quite believe me I'm sure, but I know my rig will fill the venue because I've played there before. And I'm looking forward to seeing the bass player's face when he soundchecks with it. :)