Why become a member? ×

A Classic bass design?

Born 2B Mild

I've just got home from watching the Gods of Folk Rock ...Fairport Convention.

My hero of 40 years on Fairport's low end, Dave Pegg, was playing an SR505 tonight.

Had a quick word afterwards. He seems completely in awe of it. I have a beaten-up one too, and despite it being the least expensive of all my harem, I have it as one of my cherished favoured ones.

I just wanted to say that whoever designed this range for Ibanez had a total 'oneness' with bass guitaring ergonomics. The 'Leo of the 90s' perhaps? Bassassin - can you perhaps shed some light on this?

For those who have enjoyed this design, I don't suppose I'm saying anything you didn't already know. But for those who have never strapped on a streamlined mahogany Ibby SR ...give it a go, if you ever get the chance. See if you understand where I am coming from on the simplicity of shape, materials and feel. A Classic design?

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='734646' date='Feb 3 2010, 11:50 PM']I just wanted to say that whoever designed this range for Ibanez had a total 'oneness' with bass guitaring ergonomics. The 'Leo of the 90s' perhaps? Bassassin - can you perhaps shed some light on this?[/quote]
Hell yeah. That'll be [url="http://www.tuneguitars.com/store/wizmart.php?code=000701&lv=2"]these guys[/url]. :rolleyes:

The SR series is great, (I've had two, still have my 1990 blue SR800LE) but they're an utter & shameless knock-off of Tune's Bass Maniac. With a slightly re-styled headstock!

It's actually high time I got my SR out of retirement & gave it a good clean-up & fettling. :)

Jon.

not to be negative but i hated every ibanez SR ive tried, just aint me but the higher end (jap models) sound so sweet and would love to try one.
ATK's are perhaps one of the only ibanezs i could own and not get bored of or regret spending a few hundred quid on.
"Leo of the 90's" ibanez has been around for decades, older models tend to be the best as far as i've tried but i dont think theyre worthy of that quote IMO.

I'd still say that the Ibanez K5 I had a year or two back was maybe one of the comfiest basses I've ever owned, it was a dream to play. My only issue was the tone. I struggled to get a clean punch in a live situation with it. Massive bottom end and a nice click to it too, but as per Fieldy's chosen sound, the mids always seemed very scooped no matter what I did.

However, I certainly echo the fact that the SR design is a future classic, great basses.

From a playing point of view I think ergonomically they are the most sorted shape of all. The sr300 is quite simply the comfiest cheap bass you can buy, and the best step up from a first bass there is. If playability and ergonomics are on your agenda at all.

A friend of mine started a year or so ago, we tried a lot of basses at GAK in her price range, nothing worked for her better than a red sr300.

Had a rehearsal with her partner last night (he's a drummer), and he was telling me how much she loves it still, what a great sound she's getting out of it and how much it inspires her to play.

Definitely a modern classic IMO!

Absolutely fabulous ergonomically. I've played quite a few of them and really liked them all. I played an SR506 in the Gallery a while back and it was arguably my third favourite bass in the shop (the other 2 were Seis, one was mine and one was Mike Flynn's!). All for £500! The neck was a dream and the body contouring lovely, and it was light too. Even sonically I thought it was great, although I haven't used one in anger. I often wonder why I don't just buy a couple (fretted and fretless?) and use them instead of more boutique stuff and have a damn good holiday (or 3) with the difference .

Edited by 4000

+1, my SR500 was my first real bass (i had a short scale bronco when i first started learning, and then a yamaha RBX which i didn't like and sold very quickly before my SR500), and i still have it now. i can't imagine ever selling it. its just right in every way, you just cant fault it - i usually prefer chunky necks, but even here, the SR series is an exception. it could be because i've been playing it pretty much since i started bass, but even though if i was to describe my ideal bass it would be the complete opposite (and to prove it, look at my taitycaster!), the SR500 still just works for me.

An SR900 was my workhorse bass for my previous covers band and it performed brilliantly. Woodwork was spot on even if the electrics looked a little scary. When I bought it I couldn't believe that specification was being sold at such a low price. Only sold it on as I was between bands and the bass really screamed to be gigging.

I love my 505, and I wouldnt play any other bass live because of its weight and ergonomics, my weak back approves. Lately Im wondering if it lacks some sustain though (at least compared to my other basses) and would like to hear opinions from other users out there.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='735770' date='Feb 5 2010, 06:57 AM']I love my 505, and I wouldnt play any other bass live because of its weight and ergonomics, my weak back approves. Lately Im wondering if it lacks some sustain though (at least compared to my other basses) and would like to hear opinions from other users out there.[/quote]
Maybe new strings and a check on intonation and all points touched by the strings.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='735902' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:38 AM']Maybe new strings and a check on intonation and all points touched by the strings.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, but Im afraid that isn't the problem at all. My strings are always pristine and zingy, never more than 2 weeks old, precisely because of that. I need fresh new strings or else my sustain goes the way of the dodo, and I have a feeling that effect is much more prominent on my 505 than my other basses. Intonation is also perfect since I always adjust it when changing strings and recheck it 2-3 days after.

Thank you very much, though. Keep the ideas coming!

Edit: Now that I think of, does anybody know if those Bartolini MKI soapbar pickups are humbuckers? If so, maybe the magnetic drag on the strings is too strong and I should lower them, specially the neck pickup.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='fatback' post='735907' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:51 AM']Does the praise above apply to the 5 string as well?

I've no idea about Ibanez[/quote]

Indeed, mine is a 505 (5stringer). If you havent yet, please get to your music shop and try one, its the best bang for bucks out there, almost too good to be true.

Edited by Fraktal

[quote name='fatback' post='735907' date='Feb 5 2010, 10:51 AM']Does the praise above apply to the 5 string as well?

I've no idea about Ibanez[/quote]
The 05 bit of the model number refers to the strings - a 5 stringer version of my SR800 would be an SR805, a 6 (if there is such a thing) would be SR806.

The main reason I moved away from them was that I found myself feeling more comfortable with a wider fretboard - the more modern Ibbys mostly have necks like pencils! I have an EDA900 Ergodyne which has the same neck dimensions.

J.

Yes, ergonomics are Ib's strong point. I had to pass on a Lakland which although it sounded great, had a too-wide neck and was very uncomfortable to play sitting down. Now on an Ib SR1205 which is now outstanding in all respects, after going passive with Semour Duncan SSB-5 pups.

Edited by sdgrsr400

Bought my 300 in August last year and couldn't believe how well thought out the body was. My previous bass was a Hohner B2A that I sold 10 years ago.
Everything about it is just so much value for money. If I was to spend money on basses, rather than get a new one I might improve the pick ups but that would be all I would do.

I'm not sure I've played the SR specifically but I have a BTB406 that's never let me down. Had it for 8 years and the only repairs it's ever needed were a tuning head that'd snapped and some matchsticks in the strap pin holes. Both of which were problems when I bought it (somehow missed the tuning head in the shop :) ). Can't ever fault Ibanez on their prices either especially in the budget ranges.

I have had four Ibanezes during my tenure - three I still have now. I only sold the fourth because of a move to five strings. I couldn't bear to let my first Ibby go. I can't sing their praises enough. I upgraded my SR1205 with EMGs and EMG electronics and I have my perfect bass. The SR shape is perfect for me and I love the necks. My 705 has a flattish neck and the 1205 has a thicker, chunkier affair. Love them both. Love them both [i]more [/i]than the Fender P.