Why become a member? ×

Warwick help....

Musicman20

I have a little bit of a soft spot for trying some 5 string warwicks. I like the idea of the hard finish, the nasally tone, and something totally different. I'm not sure if I'll get one, but it might be the 5er for me.

Ok..

I spot two that appeal shape wise.

Corvette $$ OR Streamer $$.

I would be going for a natural or light oil finish, nothing metal looking! Chrome hardware I think.

Didn't the Streamer win an award for how good it is with a bass magazine?

Requirements:

Not too heavy
No neck dive
Plenty of eq options
Tradional as possible

What are the differences between the two above basses?

I am a Warwick newb!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='731695' date='Feb 1 2010, 01:42 PM']Requirements:

Not too heavy
No neck dive
Plenty of eq options
Tradional as possible[/quote]

The Streamer and Corvette shapes are very different to look at and essentially it's down to personal preference in that respect.

Neither of the basses that you mention are mega heavy (though a Bubinga bodied Corvette will 'generally' be heavier than an Ash) and I've never heard of neck dive from either bass. If you are going for the $$ you are spoilt for choice with regard to tonal options. Traditional... Nah! The Corvette body shape is hardly trad' Fender style and though the Streamer (Spector NS) body shape has been around 25+ years it also isn't a J or P bass; the options from the $$ pups means that you can replicate some trad tones but then again why would you :) you buy a Warwick because you don't want a Fender! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dubs' post='731969' date='Feb 1 2010, 05:47 PM']Streamer all day long...

Corvettes just look silly :)[/quote]

I beg your pardon?!
I think my corvette looks beautiful!
Even with the massive provocatively shaped horn! :rolleyes:

But tonewise, when I played a Streamer $$ I was left speechless. And I just love that spector shape.

Get one!

James

[quote name='jamesbass116' post='731987' date='Feb 1 2010, 06:05 PM']I beg your pardon?!
I think my corvette looks beautiful!
Even with the massive provocatively shaped horn! :)

But tonewise, when I played a Streamer $$ I was left speechless. And I just love that spector shape.

Get one!

James[/quote]

I got my Corvette on Saturday, and I have to agree with you on this. Its in Ash and looks stunning with its big pointy horn. However, when I played the $$ Streamer I was totally blown away. Best bass I have heard and I also love the Streamer shape. If I can get used to the longer neck that Warwicks have over a Stingray/Fender (I keep playing on the 2nd fret when I mean to play the 1st) then I will probably get a GERMAN made Streamer $$ someday.

Cheers guys, streamer seems to be the bodyshape for me, and apparently it's a maple neck which is more like what I'm used to.

I've been given some great prices from the bass merchant and I must say for the price I'm impressed!

Now it's whether I take the plunge...I wasn't impressed with the Lakkie 5s quality control...so maybe Warwick will give me a TOTALLY different bass with a good low b.

[quote name='martthebass' post='732290' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:58 PM']Have to say that the 2 Wicks Ive owned were perfect QC wise - like Volkswagens. But the ash covette (and the Thumb that replaced it) both had neck dive like a beeatch. That with the perceived neck length made me go back to Fender and MM in the end.[/quote]

Well there's always a first! I've not heard of a Corvette with neck dive as the long top horn tends to even the balance but I suppose if the Ash body was light enough it may well compromise stability!

BO Thumbs can be had for very good money. The tone is great, really thick and growly. They are built like tanks, but the five stringer is also as heavy as one!

Because of the weight many folk seem to record on these and take the Fenders and MMs out on tour.

Seeing as you already have loads of other options for gigging on your sig, maybe you should go to the "dark side" in full-on fashion with a Thumb :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='732302' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:08 PM']Well there's always a first! I've not heard of a Corvette with neck dive as the long top horn tends to even the balance but I suppose if the Ash body was light enough it may well compromise stability![/quote]
Nor I!

My fretless vette is very light, no neck dive.

Ash Corvettes have a very light body and a heavy ovangkol neck/wenge board/tuners. Not a problem on a 4 as the neck is so skinny, but fives (and especially sixes) are definitely neck heavy. Bubinga models suffer less from this because the body is quite a bit heavier. Ever played a Thumb 6 NT?? :) my chiropractor was so pleased to see me...

I got a Streamer stage 1. 5 string, before christmas and have since sold my fenders and other basses
the sound and build quality is amazing.
its a little uncomfortable to play compaired to a jazz probably cause ive moved to 5 strings as well.
but gets easier to play all the time.
i tried other warwicks in the past and didnt like them but the streamer sound really is something else.

Its well worth a try

[quote name='rjb' post='732331' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:25 PM']BO Thumbs can be had for very good money. The tone is great, really thick and growly. They are built like tanks, but the five stringer is also as heavy as one!

Because of the weight many folk seem to record on these and take the Fenders and MMs out on tour.[/quote]

My Thumb BO4 was only 8.5lb but due to neck dive/balance it felt a lot heavier on a gig.

To clarify my comments above, the ash 'vette didn't have as much neck dive as the Thumb, it just sort of wanted to hang level, I was constantly dragging it back to 45 degrees during a gig. I prefer basses that I can 'place' and they pretty much stay put. The ash 'vette was nice and light tho (just about 8lbs).

Loved the sound of both of em, just wish I could have got over the balance. To the OP, if you're looking 'vette/Thumb I suggest you try one out in a shop on a strap for >30 minutes.

As an aside didn't find a problem with the Streamer S1 - just didn't like the stretch to the F.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='733006' date='Feb 2 2010, 02:47 PM']Im not even going to google these basses your all talking about. I just cant afford to lol.

Good luck Gareth.[/quote]

The natural one near the bottom of this page plus s low b is what im after!

[url="http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/5180-warwick-streamer-club-23.html"]http://forum.warwick.de/10-warwick-basses/...er-club-23.html[/url]

But I have to test before I shell out, so I'm just going to mull it over for a few months. It's a fair whack to spend if I don't like the neck etc.

Other things to pay off first, then I'm going to start testing them :)

2010 = expensive.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='733006' date='Feb 2 2010, 02:47 PM']Im not even going to google these basses your all talking about. I just cant afford to lol.

Good luck Gareth.[/quote]

Come to the dark side Dave, the force is strong and together we can rule the bass world once and for all :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='733168' date='Feb 2 2010, 04:59 PM']Come to the dark side Dave, the force is strong and together we can rule the bass world once and for all :)[/quote]

Dont bloody start all that again ;-)

Im not going to look at Gareth's link and i might un subscribe if you lot gush too much over these basses lol.