Why become a member? ×

tribute band audition

4-string-thing

OK, after a couple of months without a band, I've got myself an audition for a tribute band this week. I have never been in a tribute band and to be fair, it's not really my cup of meat, but a gigs a gig, right? And they do get some pretty well paid gigs.

The bass lines on the original bands records are to be fair, pretty simple (some might say boring) so how do I approach things? Stick to the recordings and get bored out of my brains, or embellish things a bit to show off my chops (such as they are)?

I suppose I could ask the guy what they're looking for, but I don't want to sound too keen/stupid.

Suggestions, much appreciated, as always!

Mark.

It depends on the aim of the band. Are they doing it properly or not? A "tribute" band usually goes way further than a cover band and should be into the theatrical presentation as well as the music. I would expect you to at least sound like the bass player in the original band and play his lines.

Who's it a tribute to?

In the tribute world you need to be playing the parts as close as possible,and forget
about showing off any chops.
I tried to find a balance between the recordings and some live versions that I heard,but
never overplayed,just because I could. It wouldn't sound right to play anything other than
the required parts.

To be fair though,if you think it's boring to play,do you really want to take the gig? Or is
it a band whose music you really dig?

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='722161' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:46 PM']OK, after a couple of months without a band, I've got myself an audition for a tribute band this week. I have never been in a tribute band and to be fair, it's not really my cup of meat, but a gigs a gig, right? And they do get some pretty well paid gigs.

The bass lines on the original bands records are to be fair, pretty simple (some might say boring) so how do I approach things? Stick to the recordings and get bored out of my brains, or embellish things a bit to show off my chops (such as they are)?

I suppose I could ask the guy what they're looking for, but I don't want to sound too keen/stupid.

Suggestions, much appreciated, as always!

Mark.[/quote]
Hi Mark, ive played in couple of tribute bands and i would say go along with an open mind & see how the other guys play the songs & take your lead from that. If they play everything absolutely spot on then they're probably lookin for you to do the same,at least in the first instance. If they ''go of on one'' then try ''a bit ''yourself. Might be some ''space'' in certain songs if they're lacking say key's or brass where you could poke your bugle in, its what i used to do. You should be able to guage how pro they are early on. We supported a who tribute band once who where calling themselves Pete, John etc whilst just setting up beforehand, well into character. Good luck with it anyway.

I think my problem is that I've never been one for learning things "note for note"

I'll probably do what I usually do when playing covers, play something thats pretty approximate and add, or subtract, bits when I feel the need without going OTT.

Its an Oasis tribute, so as long as they have a Liam and Noel, the rest of us can be pretty anonymous, I suppose (no wigs needed then)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='722239' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:24 PM']Fans are savvy enough to know you're overplaying. Keep the chops in the butchers. :)[/quote]

[quote name='Doddy' post='722242' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:26 PM']:lol:
Nice one.[/quote]
Agreed, very eloquently put. :rolleyes:

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='722161' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:46 PM']I suppose I could ask the guy what they're looking for, but I don't want to sound too keen/stupid.[/quote]
I would ask. Surely it's reasonable to ask if they want to be a really accurate tribute or not?

It would be a shame not to get the gig just because you unknowingly made the wrong style decision.

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='Marvin' post='722244' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:30 PM']Agreed, very eloquently put. :)[/quote]

To be fair I'm probably no better than the guy on the records anyway, so I doubt me "overplaying" would be likely!

I'm not really a fan, so don't know the songs that well, I have til Tuesday to learn 5 songs. I will do my best to get as close as I can to the original and see how it goes.

Reminds me of a story I've told on here before. In the 80s, during Mark King mayhem, a customer we knew came into our shop with a face like a slapped arse. He was an absolute King fanatic - same bass, same rig, gaffer tape on his thumb, everything. We asked him what was up. He said he'd just been sacked at a band rehearsal for slapping 'House Of The Rising Sun'.

:)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='722370' date='Jan 23 2010, 05:47 PM']Reminds me of a story I've told on here before. In the 80s, during Mark King mayhem, a customer we knew came into our shop with a face like a slapped arse. He was an absolute King fanatic - same bass, same rig, gaffer tape on his thumb, everything. We asked him what was up. He said he'd just been sacked at a band rehearsal for slapping 'House Of The Rising Sun'.

:)[/quote]

Ha ha, point (s) taken, I will be sticking as close as I can to the original basslines, unless they tell me otherwise!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='722204' date='Jan 23 2010, 02:43 PM']I think my problem is that I've never been one for learning things "note for note"

I'll probably do what I usually do when playing covers, play something thats pretty approximate and add, or subtract, bits when I feel the need without going OTT.

Its an Oasis tribute, so as long as they have a Liam and Noel, the rest of us can be pretty anonymous, I suppose (no wigs needed then)[/quote]

I was in an Oasis Tribby about 10 years ago......and yes unfortuanately I had to go note for note. Even stopped using my MM ray and used a Precision. It was a bit dull at first but once I got into the 'theatrics' it was good fun.

Just remember you don't have to play it at home!

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='722161' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:46 PM']I suppose I could ask the guy what they're looking for, but I don't want to sound too keen/stupid.[/quote]

Asking someone what they want from you at an audition is never a stupid question. If someone contacted me to discuss stuff like this in advance, I'd put a [i]big[/i] tick in the box next to their name.