Why become a member? ×

Damn, caught off-guard

radansey

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='721040' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:12 PM']My SR5 arrived while Mrs Endian was in labour. AFAIK, she thinks I've always had it. :)

(And no, I'm not going to get her up the stick again just so I can sneak in another bass.)[/quote]

'spose it was my fault for polishing the frets on the ironing-board.

Surely the correct response would be " I'm glad you saw my new bass it was lent to me by ( insert name of friend here) . He bought it without telling his wife and is how scared of what her reaction might be, so I offered to look after it for him until he has it sorted it out with her . Honestly some people are so dishonest in their relationship. I'm glad we're not like that and I can tell you everything " Then slither away and wait for the guilt to wear off

This is a true story.

When I worked at a music shop in Macclesfield, we had this permanently pissed publican who came in quite often. One day he came in and said he fancied a wireless system for £200 but was too scared to tell his missus. He asked us if we'd ring the pub a bit later and pretend we had a competition, with the wireless system as first prize, and announce that his ticket had been drawn.

It worked a treat. The missus believed every word. :)

[quote name='leschirons' post='721039' date='Jan 22 2010, 12:12 PM']I told my wife I found a flute on a bus seat. All was going well till she washed my jeans and found the bill.

I don't do that any more. I whine and look sad till she gives in now.[/quote]

Ha, I can just imagine it. 'Hey love, look what I found on the bus today...a brand new Roscoe SKB 5!' :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='721423' date='Jan 22 2010, 05:24 PM']I used to have another customer who bought guitars in always the same colour so his wife wouldn't suspect a new one.[/quote]

I've been using that one for years. Makes me laugh that a couple of guys on here think I'm some sort of colour fetishist, which I'm not! Simply put, if all your Fenders, and the odd Sadowsky, are all Oly White, it's amazing how much you can get away with. At one point I had five Oly White basses in the place whilst the good lady was utterly convinced I had reduced the collection to one.

In a gesture of goodwill I owned up to owning two.

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='721432' date='Jan 22 2010, 05:35 PM']I've been using that one for years. Makes me laugh that a couple of guys on here think I'm some sort of colour fetishist, which I'm not! Simply put, if all your Fenders, and the odd Sadowsky, are all Oly White, it's amazing how much you can get away with. At one point I had five Oly White basses in the place whilst the good lady was utterly convinced I had reduced the collection to one.

In a gesture of goodwill I owned up to owning two.

C[/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: Good work!

[quote name='Marvin' post='721483' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:16 PM']Mrs Marvin would definitely notice any new acquisition as I've only got one bass :) and she is fully aware of what it looks like.[/quote]

Dude, that's an appalingly defeatist attitude

[quote name='Marvin' post='721488' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:19 PM']:rolleyes:

I must try harder. :)[/quote]

I want a full written report on how you intend to redress the wife:bass ratio (WBR), which is expected be at least 1:3 (in certain USA states I believe 2:4 is acceptable). I want this on my desk by Monday Marvin.

Man you guys are lucky, my girlfriend knows every bass I have, and have had since we have been together and now has a good eye for bass details not just "ooh that blue one is pretty". We were at a John Mayer gig the other night and she managed to spot a Vintage Sunburst Precision on the bass player who was some distance away, in the dark at the back. She said "didnt you used to have a baby blue Precision when we met" I was stunned.

Anyway I put myself in huge debt to get my last bass and she would kick my backside if I bought another. Nowhere to hide!