Why become a member? ×

Jeff Beck's new band

Doddy

Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing the previous line-up if I could have made it to the O2.
I do love the Ronnie Scott's dvd, especially with Vinnie C, one of my favourite drummers.
Tal must have been with Jeff Beck for 2 or 3 years now anyway. Maybe it was just time to move on(?).
Mind you, I know NMW is no slouch on drums either. Rhonda, too, of course.
Are Vinnie and Tal (still) an item? Are they off to do other stuff together!? Music-wise, of course! :)

Maybe Wilkenfeld-Colaiuta were not available ?
I saw the line-up with Tal and Vinnie last year live over here in Belgium and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. I can't imagine that Rhonda or Narada are able to be on the same level but I'm always ready to be convinced.
I have seen and heard some stuff from Rhonda and I miss a bit of the harmonic depth Tal already has despite her "young" age.

I was gutted Rhonda wasn't with Prince's band at the O2 last year, I'll definitely be checking her out with Jeff, I haven't seen Jeff Beck live for years.

By the way, I bought Tal Wilkenfield's album on iTunes, and I'm a bit underwhelmed by yet another Jazz orientated "bass" album, nothing new there at all.

Tal W was in the studio with Vinnie C yesterday and Steve Lukather recording an album apparently. She's not going to need to hunt for work but I don't see whats to get excited about. Rhonda Smith is pretty good though, some of her lines with Prince were amazing funky and she never gets carried away when its her turn for a solo.

That's a shame. When I saw the band last year I thought they were great, and Tal was superb. I have Jeff's full Crossroads set on dvd and to be honest it's one of my favourite live bass perfomances for many a year. Tal's phrasing and musicality on that are impeccable.

[quote name='Rayman' post='719794' date='Jan 21 2010, 09:46 AM']I was gutted Rhonda wasn't with Prince's band at the O2 last year, I'll definitely be checking her out with Jeff, I haven't seen Jeff Beck live for years.

By the way, I bought Tal Wilkenfield's album on iTunes, and I'm a bit underwhelmed by yet another Jazz orientated "bass" album, nothing new there at all.[/quote]

Tal dont do much for me shes very good but there is just no funkiness coming out.

I've got to wait until October to see them in Cardiff. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that I'll not see Tal but hey, I'm sure JB has got a fine band together as ever. I've got the day off after this show and I've booked a hotel so it's apres show vino tinto in Cardiff for me.

Can anyone point me to any youtube stuff with Jeff Beck on it that they really rate? - I've only heard a very few old things he's done and I never understood why he was so lauded, (and no, I don't mean Hi Ho...) but maybe I didn't hear the "good stuff".
Cheers folks, I'm sure you won't let me down!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='720667' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:26 PM']Can anyone point me to any youtube stuff with Jeff Beck on it that they really rate? - I've only heard a very few old things he's done and I never understood why he was so lauded, (and no, I don't mean Hi Ho...) but maybe I didn't hear the "good stuff".
Cheers folks, I'm sure you won't let me down![/quote]
Got your ears on then...? :rolleyes:
So much to choose -- (not just the stuff at Ronnie's) -- so little room! :)

[b]"Nadia" / "Space Boogie"[/b]

[b]"Angel (Footsteps)"[/b]

[b]"A Day In The Life"[/b]

[b]"Cause We've Ended As Lovers"[/b]

[b]"Where Were You"[/b]

I was actually really disappointed in the 'Live at Ronnie Scotts' DVD. It didn't
live up to my expectations-even Vinnie's playing didn't excite me like it usually does.
As far a Tal's playing goes,I've never been a massive fan to be honest. I really enjoyed her solo
album,but that's about it. Her solo in 'Cause we've ended as Lovers' does nothing for me-I think she
really overused the vibrato.
I think that Rhonda Smith is a better player and grooves harder.

[quote name='Doddy' post='721260' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:55 PM']I was actually really disappointed in the 'Live at Ronnie Scotts' DVD. It didn't
live up to my expectations-even Vinnie's playing didn't excite me like it usually does.
As far a Tal's playing goes,I've never been a massive fan to be honest. I really enjoyed her solo
album,but that's about it. Her solo in 'Cause we've ended as Lovers' does nothing for me-I think she
I think that Rhonda Smith is a better player and grooves harder.[/quote]
Point noted on the vibrato in that solo, but what everyone is forgetting to mention is how young Tal is. She's what - 23, maybe 24?

Don't get me wrong, I love Rhonda's playing - she's got amazing groove, and there's no doubt this new line-up will be ace. However, no matter what you think of Tal's overall feel, groove, sound etc, you've got to remember that she's not even in her mid-20s, yet she's already played with a considerable amount of legendary musicians. She comes across as totally fearless, and I think that has a lot to do with her appeal (other than the obvious 'assets'*).

Sorry for revisiting what is probably a tired argument on this forum, but I just felt it needed to be mentioned in this particular thread.

[size=1]*Heeeeheeee look at the way her boob pops over the top of the bass![/size]

Edited by Huwberry

[quote name='Doddy' post='721260' date='Jan 22 2010, 02:55 PM']I was actually really disappointed in the 'Live at Ronnie Scotts' DVD. It didn't
I think that Rhonda Smith is a better player and grooves harder.[/quote]

Her playing on the (not commercially available :) ) Crossroads dvd I have is far superior to her playing on the Ronnie Scotts dvd ( a much better mix helps too). As for Rhonda being a better player, I'm not sure there's any such thing at this level. There are only players you prefer. In addition, you can only judge a player by the setting they're in and the musicians they're playing with, which makes it doubly difficult, as different players will thrive in different arenas. Would Jeff Berlin be better than Cliff Williams in AC/DC? I sincerely doubt it. As for the vibrato comment, again, simply a matter of taste. I really can't stand all this "player A is better than player B" nonsense, it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Huwberry' post='721311' date='Jan 22 2010, 03:34 PM']Point noted on the vibrato in that solo, but what everyone is forgetting to mention is how young Tal is. She's what - 23, maybe 24?[/quote]

Although his name seems to be mud around here, Jaco recorded Bright Size Life when he was 24, His solo album at 25 and Heavy Weather at 27. Anthony Jackson recorded For The Love Of Money when he was 20. Jeff Berlin's best work was in his early to mid-20's. Age has got nothing to do with it really. Great players are exceptional from a very young age. She [i]appears[/i] to have it all, but I have this nagging sensation when I hear her play that I'm listening to someone else but can't quite work out who. I hear her playing very well in time but something is missing, perhaps it is feel. This is odd as I have quite strong views on just about every other musician I've heard!

[quote name='4000' post='721518' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:45 PM']Her playing on the (not commercially available :) ) Crossroads dvd I have is far superior to her playing on the Ronnie Scotts dvd ( a much better mix helps too). As for Rhonda being a better player, I'm not sure there's any such thing at this level. There are only players you prefer. In addition, you can only judge a player by the setting they're in and the musicians they're playing with, which makes it doubly difficult, as different players will thrive in different arenas. Would Jeff Berlin be better than Cliff Williams in AC/DC? I sincerely doubt it. As for the vibrato comment, again, simply a matter of taste. I really can't stand all this "player A is better than player B" nonsense, it serves no purpose whatsoever.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='4000' post='721518' date='Jan 22 2010, 06:45 PM']Her playing on the (not commercially available :) ) Crossroads dvd I have is far superior to her playing on the Ronnie Scotts dvd ( a much better mix helps too). As for Rhonda being a better player, I'm not sure there's any such thing at this level. There are only players you prefer. In addition, you can only judge a player by the setting they're in and the musicians they're playing with, which makes it doubly difficult, as different players will thrive in different arenas. Would Jeff Berlin be better than Cliff Williams in AC/DC? I sincerely doubt it. As for the vibrato comment, again, simply a matter of taste. I really can't stand all this "player A is better than player B" nonsense, it serves no purpose whatsoever.[/quote]

+2

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='720890' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:10 AM']Tal? Rhonda? Nah.

I'd rather see him back and partnered up with Ron 'Evil Goblin King' Wood.

[/quote]

But if Player B is Ronald David Wood, 62 then Player A and players C-Z are all better than player B!