Why become a member? ×

10 string nearly done..... at last!

binky_bass

hey all,

though this would be a good place to post a pic or two of my almost done 10 stringer.

although i didnt build it (i wish i could something like this!) i did design it from scratch, literally everything about it has been painstakingly designed, from the woods used, to the body shape, from the pick-ups wireing to the string spacing etc etc, tell me what you think of it so far.

ill list the spec for anyone interested....

10 string bee bass tuned C#F#BEADGCFBb
buckeye burl top
maple bodycore
camphor burl back with figured walnut crotch
7 laminate neck maple/purpleheart/maple/PH/M/PH/M
birdseye maple fingerboard
abalone binky inlay with name at 5th fret
custom wound carey nordstrand pick-ups with birdseye maple covers with ebony pinstripe
buckeye burl headstock cap
hipshot ultralight tuners with custom bunny buttons in birseye maple and camphor burl
custom made birdseye maple truss rod with binky inlay
aguilar OPB3 preamp
custom made 1" knobs with abalone cap
custom shape body perfectly suited for seated playing, and perfectly balanced when standing
individual bridge saddles

the inlay is deffinatly a personal thing, its binky the bunny from life in hell by matt greoning, ive just been drawing that little rabbit in random places from about 10 years, so look out for it!
10 string is a hella lot of strings, but its kind of a cross over between bass, chapman sticks and warr guitars, i play alot of tapp style, so 10 strings really opens out the possibilities!

That's going to be an amazing piece of kit.

How far into the range of ERBs have you gone before?

Personally I've had a 7 and found that too much because I wanted to use open strings but also couldn't stop 1 or 2 from droning. How do you intend to cover that: scrunchie on the neck, or a bridge dampener or actual string-switches?

I can see that the neck-dive isn't going to be a problem with the upper strap button positioning.

a scrunchie on the neck is always a good option, personally i tend not to do that, ive had this bass built with a zero fret, so that minimizes resonation from other strings, but i rarely use open strings, ive found that, especailly because of my style, fretting what would be the open note is easier for me any way.

as it goes, i only own 4 string basses at the moment, ive always been interested in ER basses, so i stepped up to a conklin 7 a while ago, but sold it on this very site a few months back to raise more funds for this bass, the conklin 7 took a while to get used to for sure, as im sure this one will, but when i was playing the conklin 7 i was almost inspired purley because of the extra strings to write some of the best pieces ive written, but i still wanted more strings! so 13 months ago i started having this 10 string beast built.

you should check out yves carbonne or jean baudin. yves plays 10 string unmarked fretless (thats beyond me, i dont understand how he does what he does!) jean plays 13 string basses. both obscene players!

infact jean was an excellent source for advice when choosing who to have build it.

have a look at www.beebasses.com run by Fred bolton, the very man whos building mine.

Peace.

Russ.

[quote name='jwbassman' post='6597' date='May 25 2007, 11:00 AM']Bloody 'ell - 10 Strings - I have enough problems with the 5 i"ve got :)[/quote]

I'm with bassman... Still getting up to speed on 4 strings here. That bass is beautiful though, I *LOVE* the finish on the body wood.

Russ.

[quote name='binky_bass' post='8605' date='May 29 2007, 02:19 PM']where would the next bass bash be? never been before.[/quote]
regional ones are always being planned, but [i]the [/i]BassWorld Bash (which I suppose will have to be renamed the BassChat Bash) is held twice a year in March and September, in Northampton. With the demise of BW I'm not sure if the pics/links have made it across.
Dood can you help?

Edited by MacDaddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...