Why become a member? ×

If you're asking £2,500 for a bass ...

Clarky

There's honest, road worn 'mojo' ... and then there's sheer grime and filth. This looks like it could spread swine flu. If I were selling this 'limited edition' Fender Jazz, I would remove the stickers and give it a bit of TLC first

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Guitar-Limited-Edition-1973-1974_W0QQitemZ150406416978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2304ebca52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Gui...=item2304ebca52[/url]

how the frigg is this 'limited edition'?
I hate, and i mean really, really hate people trying to add words into ebay descriptions to elevate their item above it's level.

A nice bass, but i wouldn't buy from him as he's obviously a 'used car dealer' type.

Hmmm. Nice though.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='716327' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:52 AM']how the frigg is this 'limited edition'?
I hate, and i mean really, really hate people trying to add words into ebay descriptions to elevate their item above it's level.

A nice bass, but i wouldn't buy from him as he's obviously a 'used car dealer' type.

Hmmm. Nice though.[/quote]
Were this cleaned up and with a replacement period-correct (and properly fitted!) bridge this would be very nice. But even then £2500 would be a bit rich IMHO

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='716316' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:39 AM']...and crappy photos taken with a flash in the corner of the spare room look terrible! Why do people do it?

Love black, tort and RW, mind... lovely.[/quote]

I suppose not everyone has an eye for photography or maybe not a great camera. I take your point but all that's required of an ad for a bass at this price is an idea. If anyone spends 2.5 large on a bass on the strength of a pic , however good , they're nuts. Personally all I need is an idea of what I'll be going in person to check out before I part with a penny.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='716451' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:49 AM']I suppose not everyone has an eye for photography or maybe not a great camera. I take your point but all that's required of an ad for a bass at this price is an idea. If anyone spends 2.5 large on a bass on the strength of a pic , however good , they're nuts. Personally all I need is an idea of what I'll be going in person to check out before I part with a penny.[/quote]
True enough but just imagine how much more interest this would get if BC'er lysdexia* did the photos? :)

* Mind you not seen lysdexia on the site for ages

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='716451' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:49 AM']I suppose not everyone has an eye for photography or maybe not a great camera. I take your point but all that's required of an ad for a bass at this price is an idea. If anyone spends 2.5 large on a bass on the strength of a pic , however good , they're nuts. Personally all I need is an idea of what I'll be going in person to check out before I part with a penny.[/quote]

So true.
When I tried to sell my 74/74 Jazz here,I wanted any prospective buyer to invest a day of their time to play and get a feel for it.
If I was investing £1500 in a bass I am bloody sure I would make the journey.
I would also respectfully walk away if it wasn't the bass for me.

Mine was stripped at some time70's/80's but is more original than that one!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='716454' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:51 AM']Got a strong feeling it's a re-spray - check out the quality of paintwork in the 'bridge' pic.[/quote]I agree and there is some sort of suspect outlined indentation around the pickup. And in the neck plate shot, traces of purle paint, it looks like a total dog.

Paraphrasing:
[i]
"This item was purchased in 1974". . ."this is a limited edition in the fact that it is from that year". . ."this was purchased as is in the picture". . ."it is all geniune parts as purchased with the guitar". . ."never swapped any parts out". . ."all parts are from the original purchase". . .[/i]

So obviously not a limited edition in any way shape or form and the claim is that any mods were carried out prior to the current owner purchasing - this may mean pots, pickups etc may all have been modded prior to 1974.

[quote name='molan' post='717095' date='Jan 18 2010, 08:40 PM']Paraphrasing:
[i]
"This item was purchased in 1974". . ."this is a limited edition in the fact that it is from that year". . ."this was purchased as is in the picture". . ."it is all geniune parts as purchased with the guitar". . ."never swapped any parts out". . ."all parts are from the original purchase". . .[/i]

So obviously not a limited edition in any way shape or form and the claim is that any mods were carried out prior to the current owner purchasing - this may mean pots, pickups etc may all have been modded prior to 1974.[/quote]
Re-listed but at least he's dropped the "Limited edition" tag. Still keeping the text saying its original parts though .... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Electric-Guitar-1973-1974-Collectable_W0QQitemZ150406416978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2304ebca52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Ele...=item2304ebca52[/url]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='718476' date='Jan 19 2010, 09:51 PM']Re-listed but at least he's dropped the "Limited edition" tag. Still keeping the text saying its original parts though .... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Electric-Guitar-1973-1974-Collectable_W0QQitemZ150406416978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item2304ebca52"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-Ele...=item2304ebca52[/url][/quote]

Am I missing something?
All mods carried out before '74, but isn't he intimating that his father bought it from new? Therefore isn't his father the only owner?
Medication Nursey please.

One to be avoided by any punter in my opinion, FWIW.

Karl.

[quote name='karlfer' post='718679' date='Jan 20 2010, 07:35 AM']One to be avoided by any punter in my opinion, FWIW.[/quote]
Agreed. Anyone that is pointed out errors in an eBay listing yet does not update the details is not trustworthy IMHO. I am still after a 70s Jazz but this definitely ain't the one!

[quote name='Clarky' post='718688' date='Jan 20 2010, 08:05 AM']Agreed. Anyone that is pointed out errors in an eBay listing yet does not update the details is not trustworthy IMHO. I am still after a 70s Jazz but this definitely ain't the one![/quote]

Keep looking Clarky. There's one out there for you somewhere.