Why become a member? ×

Learning a different instrument.....

Howdy! I was thinking on and off to myself wether it's time to learn another instrument.
The drawback is that I live in a 1st flr maisonnette. This means that, wind instruments such
as trumpets ,clarinets are out.

I like the look of those electronic drums( rubber?) ,but I'm not sure if that'll work.

Even the triangle wouldn't work :)

Any ideas??

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='714343' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:10 PM']Air guitar! Nothing is more neighbour friendly than that!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thumb piano? Banjo? Electric violin?[/quote]
:rolleyes:
Done the air guitar,back in my headbanging days.
Banjo? too loud
Violin? mmmmmmmm(thinking) :)

[quote name='essexbasscat' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:11 PM' post='714346']
Hi Ray how you doing ?

An electric piano could be a really useful one y'know. I run one through a 10 watt yamaha amp and it's fine in my flat with neighbors attached. Also goes through headphones too.

Hi essex ,yeah I have keyboard,and logic(see other post)
At my age ,learning piano doesn't appeal to me. Difficult .(tho' electric does sound nice)

Thanks tho' :)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Yamaha Silent Brass system sorts your trumpet, e-sax silent sax practice case things

or just lock yourself in the coat cupbard or airing cupboard and play into them. That's what I used to do.

I'm currently learing the harmonica, having lessons and practice in the car but it's fairly quiet. Good fun and alot easier to whip out at a jam than a bass.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='714339' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:03 PM']Howdy! I was thinking on and off to myself wether it's time to learn another instrument.
The drawback is that I live in a 1st flr maisonnette.
I like the look of those electronic drums( rubber?) ,but I'm not sure if that'll work.[/quote]

Electronic drums still make a lot of noise when you thump them, it's the bass drum pedal that's the main problem.
My step daughter has a Yamaha electronic kit & you can still hear her hitting it on the ground floor when she's in the loft.

[quote name='RhysP' post='714466' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:39 PM']Electronic drums still make a lot of noise when you thump them, it's the bass drum pedal that's the main problem.
My step daughter has a Yamaha electronic kit & you can still hear her hitting it on the ground floor when she's in the loft.[/quote]

Yeah that's what I was going to say. Mine are in the garage, but it annoys the wife if there is a house window open and I'm bashing away with headphones on - It's a lot of clacking and thumping!

If you can get access to a drumkit once in a while, i would just get a pad to do some rudiments on, because although it wont be as fun as a drumkit, if you cant play a drum how can you play a kit? , they are great to practice paradiddles and other rudiments. They really help when your learning fills, you get a better feel for timing during them. Also, i would not get an electronic kit, because as other people have said, they are not very quiet, i would instead get a drumkit with mesh heads on them, ive never done that, but ive head its a good silent practice method.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='714501' date='Jan 16 2010, 12:21 AM']After bass I went on to mandolin. Small but it does chuck the sound out a bit. Not louder than an acoustic guitar though. And the 8 strings are strung like an upside down 8 string bass (or a violin!) so it comes a bit easier than uke which is strung like a madman![/quote]

Similar experience for me. I went for a tenor guitar but then settled on bouzouki and octave mandolins as the neck width is about the same as a four string bass, the scale length is also longer, and you can get going very quickly making some very pleasant noises in the process. Only thing to remember is they're tuned in fifths not fourths, so playing single note lines is quite different. Overall though, anything from the mandolin family is a great second choice of instrument!

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='aznbass' post='714608' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:31 AM']Also, i would not get an electronic kit, because as other people have said, they are not very quiet, i would instead get a drumkit with mesh heads on them, ive never done that, but ive head its a good silent practice method.[/quote]
Same problem as an electronic kit - still lots of noise.

[quote name='Buzz' post='714538' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:42 AM']like OldGit said you could learn brass quite easily as good mutes exist (OG's picture bears no relation to the actual mutes for Trumpet)[/quote]

That's 'cos its a case made for silent practice for a saxophone :rolleyes:
Much harder to keep a sax quiet 'cos the sound leaks out of the side holes :)
The silent brass system looks like this

I've been looking in to learning trumpet for a while, and am another flat dweller.

Practice mutes will quieten you down to a volume where you shouldn't disturb the neighbours and Yam's Silent Brass makes you even quieter. BUT, I've been told they affect your intonation and shouldn't be used for the majority of practice time.

The other biggie is finding a teacher - the only one I can find locally MIGHT have a vacancy for a pupil in 9 months time.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='714339' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:03 PM']Howdy! I was thinking on and off to myself wether it's time to learn another instrument.
The drawback is that I live in a 1st flr maisonnette. This means that, wind instruments such
as trumpets ,clarinets are out.

I like the look of those electronic drums( rubber?) ,but I'm not sure if that'll work.

Even the triangle wouldn't work :)

Any ideas??[/quote]

a sitar