Why become a member? ×

anyone know any really cool bass tricks

grimbeaver

Just for a laugh, does anyone know any cool bass tricks?

I have seen a few on youtube of throwing the guitar over your shoulder and wizzing it round your body but never fancy smashing up a good bass if it goes tits up.

I have seen and tried playing behind your head, and with teeth, all old hat though.

Anyone know any really cool tricks, or tried any that have messed up.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='710518' date='Jan 12 2010, 08:25 PM']Just for a laugh, does anyone know any cool bass tricks?

I have seen a few on youtube of throwing the guitar over your shoulder and wizzing it round your body but never fancy smashing up a good bass if it goes tits up.

I have seen and tried playing behind your head, and with teeth, all old hat though.

Anyone know any really cool tricks, or tried any that have messed up.[/quote]

I don't know if you could call it a trick, more of an amazing facility with a six-string acoustic. At a folk-club in the back of a pub near Romford, a guitarist played normally, then in mid-song, without missing a beat, flipped the guitar over and played it left-handed... and back & fore several times!!

In those days he was known as "Shaggis". By 1977 or so he was better known as Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='Balcro' post='710757' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:18 PM']I don't know if you could call it a trick, more of an amazing facility with a six-string acoustic. At a folk-club in the back of a pub near Romford, a guitarist played normally, then in mid-song, without missing a beat, flipped the guitar over and played it left-handed... and back & fore several times!!

In those days he was known as "Shaggis". By 1977 or so he was better known as Davey Johnstone, Elton John's guitarist.

Balcro.[/quote]
I'd still classify that as a 'trick' of sorts though - it has no real musical application... right?

Whatever. It's still ridiculously impressive!

[quote name='Huwberry' post='710759' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:21 PM']I'd still classify that as a 'trick' of sorts though - it has no real musical application... right?

Whatever. It's still ridiculously impressive![/quote]

I guess so. No musical applicationat all. I couldn't have been standing 8' from him when he did it.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' post='710780' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:43 PM']I guess so. No musical applicationat all. I couldn't have been standing 8' from him when he did it.

Balcro.[/quote]
Is youse gettin' sarky maate? :)

(Didn't mean to sound so dismissive... 'no musical application' probably aren't the right words for what I was trying to imply...)

[quote name='NickH' post='710765' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:27 PM']I have this amazing trick where I take a really nice bass and amp, and make it sound [i]exactly[/i] like a steel dustbin full of spanners falling down the stairs.[/quote]
I rather enjoyed this post :)

[quote name='NickH' post='710765' date='Jan 12 2010, 03:27 PM']I have this amazing trick where I take a really nice bass and amp, and make it sound [i]exactly[/i] like a steel dustbin full of spanners falling down the stairs.[/quote] :)
Are you [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73006&hl="]this guy[/url] ? :rolleyes:

[quote name='chris_b' post='710811' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:50 AM']How about playing the bass with your fretting hand [i]over[/i] the neck?[/quote]

Theres a guy does that at a local open mic session.
I think he's got a dodgy hand and thats the only way he can play.
Bloody good on him.

[quote name='chris_b' post='710811' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:50 AM']How about playing the bass with your fretting hand [i]over[/i] the neck?[/quote]

Keyboard player at my church sometimes stands in on bass, he plays like that on occasion. Very clear thinking chap, I think he finds it easier rather than doing a trick. It'd certainly be a trick if I did it.

I have two very stupid "tricks"... :-)

- with your right hand you pinch the artificial harmonics on your G-string going up from the end of the neck to the bridge. Normally you have a tone which will chromatically go up. Meanwhile with your left hand you act as if you're filling up an imaginary glass with an imaginary bottle which you "pour". Combined it should imitate the sound of a pint you're filling up.

- with your left hand you scratch underneath your armpit as if you are a monkey, with your right hand you scratch across the length of your E-string with your fingernail in the same rythm as your left hand. Meanwhile you put your lipps in a Mick Jagger sort of way which will complete the whole image :-)

I doubt if the last one will appeal to you :-)

I used to be master of the scissor kick & I have desk tapes which prove I could do so without dropping a beat (admittedly the basslines back then weren't exactly rocket science). I'm just shy of 6'3" and the audience always used to take bets on whether I'd knock myself out on the ceilings (I never did)

These days I'm a bit calmer so no cool tricks for me

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='711031' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:50 AM']Go on stage.... play a kick ass bass solo. Set your headstock on fire and then twirl it round your neck without setting yourself on fire.
Then stop playing and leave. Don't put the fire out. You want to leave them something to remember. Like the venue burning down. :)[/quote]

Bassist for Impaled opens the set by breathing fire using his headstock as a torch.

Here's a Doom one. Set up an 8x10 either side of the drummer, stand in a null and turn up till you can hear yourself. Then wonder why everyone watching is clutching their bowels.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='711031' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:50 AM']Go on stage.... play a kick ass bass solo. Set your headstock on fire and then twirl it round your neck without setting yourself on fire.
Then stop playing and leave. Don't put the fire out. You want to leave them something to remember. Like the venue burning down. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Didn't Great White do that a few years ago :)