Why become a member? ×

5-String Question

silentbob

It's an individual thing. Some people really struggle, some have no problems. Personally I found it really quite easy, and now play both comfortably. Try as many as you can, as variations in string spacing seems to be the key to finding the right instrument.

:)

When i first decided on 5 string, i found it a fairly easy transition, the only thing was then relying on the bottom 'B' as a thumb rest 'till i needed it ( a habit a lot of bass players seem to have or so i've noticed ) until you get used to the expanded 'vocabulary' of 5 strings.
I suppose a lot depends on if you think about 'top to bottom string' or vice versa, if that makes sense?
The only problem i have now is doing a gig entirely on a four string these days, i get lost without that low string

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='706459' date='Jan 9 2010, 12:19 PM']Try as many as you can, as variations in string spacing seems to be the key to finding the right instrument.

:)[/quote]

+1 to that. I had no problems but then I had only been playing a 4-string for about 18months so wasn't that set in my ways! The only real problem was jumping in to the A-string quickly. I came to the conclusion that I related the strings from the edges, and that A was now 2 strings 'in' when nothing was two from the 'edge' with a 4 string. Once I thought that through the problem seemed to go away!

I have loved the additional choice of neck position it gives me and can't see myself going back to 4.

It really didn't trouble me at all.
Have gone from 4 to 5 to 6 and now play whatever fits. I also have a fretless tuned CGDAE and swap to and fro quite merrily. That said, I am used to playing a broad cross-section of basses... So maybe I can adapt more readily than someone who sticks to just one instrument.

Actually it wasn't completely straightforward for me. No problem at home or in rehearsal, but weird spaces on gigs when I'd miss important notes because plucking hand and fretting hand were on different strings!

Got it nailed after a while - the added range and versatility make any embarrasing silences worth it, and now I have no problem swapping between 4,5, and 6.

Awesome fretless 6 player Steve Bailey has a good story about his first gig with a low B. It was with Miles Davies or Dizzy Gillespie (or some other "great") whos band he was in at the time. He took his new bass out without doing his homework and a few numbers in was told "why don't you learn to play that fu**** instrument before bringing it to my gig"!

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='706459' date='Jan 9 2010, 12:19 PM']It's an individual thing. Some people really struggle, some have no problems. Personally I found it really quite easy, and now play both comfortably. Try as many as you can, as variations in string spacing seems to be the key to finding the right instrument.

:)[/quote]
Another +1. There's a wide range of possible 5(+) string spacings and neck profiles, and these can feel anything from easy/slick/comfortable to hard/cumbersome/awkward depending on your personal hand & body size and technique. Don't be swayed by brand names, every bass is different, try before you buy.

[quote name='sdgrsr400' post='707203' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:53 PM']Another +1. There's a wide range of possible 5(+) string spacings and neck profiles, and these can feel anything from easy/slick/comfortable to hard/cumbersome/awkward depending on your personal hand & body size and technique. Don't be swayed by brand names, every bass is different, try before you buy.[/quote]

Yet another +1. There's loads more variation in 5 string basses than there is in 4 strings. I favor the variety that have the same spacing as a four string (which tend to be more expensive of course). Other players like the 5 strings crammed into the same width as 4 and everything in between.

Other than that, I think the place to start is to just play as if it was a 4 string using the B only as thumb rest. Get used to the feel and the extra string being there. Go from there!

Found adjusting easy enough, but I find it more awkward playing stuff on the G string.
I'm adjusting the patterns ,that used to be involving the g string on different part of the neck.

Was thinking of getting one of my other basses adjusted in a shop to be permanently B E A D ,
and selling my 5 . Either that ,or possibly remove g string altogether ....

[quote name='silentbob' post='706457' date='Jan 9 2010, 12:17 PM']Just wondering how easy it is to switch to five strings from four. Am i likly to encounter any problems?[/quote]
Biggest problem I had was getting one and launching straight into a gig without r/h - 'cos I wanted to play my new toy - forgetting that I had a Hipshot extender on the 4 string and used it quite a lot flipping back & forth tune/detune for which I had a lot of muscle memory for the changed shapes. It made for an [i]interesting[/i] evening with a few jazz moments :) Otherwise not really for me

I reckon it's purely down to your individual mindset how you make the transition. My only real issue was finding one with the right string spacing - I'm six four and have big hands (I chose a budget Yamaha). All you have to do is practice and get used to it. I used to think "down from the G string" rather than "up from the B" to get familiar with the tuning.

I've since got rid of my 5 as I found that I was doing fine on my four-string Stingray.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='707206' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:57 PM']Yet another +1. There's loads more variation in 5 string basses than there is in 4 strings. I favor the variety that have the same spacing as a four string (which tend to be more expensive of course). Other players like the 5 strings crammed into the same width as 4 and everything in between.

Other than that, I think the place to start is to just play as if it was a 4 string using the B only as thumb rest. Get used to the feel and the extra string being there. Go from there![/quote]
IMHO string spacing is the key. My first foray into 5s was with one that had narrower string spacing than a 4, & I found it much harder to swap between it and a 4 than I did a regular spaced 5. YMMV however.
Try as many 5s as you can and see what works for you, and have fun finding out! :)

[quote name='guyl' post='707188' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:34 PM']Awesome fretless 6 player Steve Bailey has a good story about his first gig with a low B. It was with Miles Davies or Dizzy Gillespie (or some other "great") whos band he was in at the time. He took his new bass out without doing his homework and a few numbers in was told "why don't you learn to play that fu**** instrument before bringing it to my gig"![/quote]

Another interesting story is by Byron Miller (George Duke) who was on tour with Chaka Khan in Japan when he got his first
5 string. Needless to say, without any rehearsal or getting used to the instrument, he messed up big time and was nearly thrown off the tour!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='707253' date='Jan 9 2010, 11:42 PM']possibly remove g string altogether ....[/quote]

Good call. They do tend to "ride up" somewhat and make it hard to concentrate on playing your bass. They ain't called "@n@l floss" for nothing! :)

I would say it takes longer to adjust musically than it does physically. Both take a little time but I still find my brain works from the E string upwards a lot and I have to remind myself that I can use the B as something other than a thumb rest in a band context (same with the high C on my 6)

Edited by d-basser

[quote name='silentbob' post='706457' date='Jan 9 2010, 12:17 PM']Just wondering how easy it is to switch to five strings from four. Am i likly to encounter any problems?[/quote]

I think you will be fine.But you need to be a good musician to swap between 4 and 5 strings the question you need to ask yourself is do i need the B or C string? if the answers yes go for it and push yourself. For me the low B is great with the funk i play and cant go back to 4. good luck

It's easy enough to get used to the presence of the extra string if you've got time to just play. It's easy enough to learn to incorporate the extra 5 low notes (assuming BEADG tuning). The biggest challenge, I think, is bringing the rest of the B sting into play which is where you really get the most out of 5 strings and something I still probably don't do enough 15+ years since first making the change.

One bonus I do find with 5 strings is that when you pick up a four string, they're loads of fun. Kinda like driving a mini instead of a big car or something.

It does take a bit of adjustment, the classic mistake is playing a low D when you want a G etc. Hang on to your 4 string just in case you don't like the 5 If you get all notes on the B string embedded in your brain as soon as possible it will be big help. Where's the G? you don't have time to think about it!

Edited by dub

Main problem I've had is finding the right one.

Lakky DJ5 - found the neck/string spacing too wide and scale length too long.
Sandberg basic 5 - found it a bit neck heavy
Stingray SR5 neck and scale superb but overall weight a bit much on long gigs (and I don't like swapping 5 to 4 mid gig).

At the mo I don't have a 5 string, I occasionally miss the B but as Bruce Foxton said 'I can find all the notes I need on a 4 string'.

I may find myself creeping back to one if I need one in the future but it would probably need to be something like a Streamline 5 to satisfy all my 'needs'.