Why become a member? ×

Underrated Bass Players

nick

[quote name='Johngh' post='21646' date='Jun 21 2007, 11:14 PM']Neil Murray - Whitesnake etc[/quote]

Neil Murray is currently appearing in We Will Rock You at the Dominion Theatre, London! remember when they used to announce things like that after TV shows in the 70s?

Anyway my underrated bass player is...

Mike Mills from REM - great all rounder. Great to see him on the telly last night too.

[quote name='Road Dog' post='23824' date='Jun 26 2007, 11:41 PM']John Deacon (Queen)[/quote]

+600. Was the Deacon appreciation thread on BC or BT? There's a lot of people on her who love his style, awesome player.

Dave Peacock of 'Chas & Dave'

Just been listening to "Rabbit" and "Gertcha" and he's everywhere,solid,and has a great 3 bolt late 70s tone. Warm and middy. Cant listen to these 2 play without seeing fagash and pint glasses in my minds eye.

well even though hes not the greatest i would have to say gene simmons is slightly underrated (please dont flame me for this im just stating an opinion lol)
Willie Weeks is another bassist that only few hear of... and alot of people i know underestimate Paul McCartneys playing prowess.

Another +1 for James Leach, absolutely gutted the singers are leaving (even more gutted I'm missing TWO dates of their last tour thanks to going on holiday, ridiculous idea). Jeff Caxide of Isis as well, never seem to see him talked about.

[quote name='MB1' post='6759' date='May 25 2007, 07:30 PM']MB1. :)
charlie tumahai.be bop deluxe the first bassist i ever saw play and sing harmony/fender telecaster bass
John Rhino Edwards. now with status quo but theres much more to this guy!/alembic/status
pino palladino.where do you start with this guy/musicman/fender
norman watt roy. oi norman play the bass!/alembic/fender
gerry mcavoy.rory g and nine below zero. solid/fender/musicman.[/quote]
.......Good to see Charlie get a [thoroughly deserved] mention; I was fortunate to tour the states with him[Be Bop Deluxe] many years ago and he was pretty awesome, and a good buddy,...May he rest in peace....Don't think anyone's mentioned Laurence Cottle - he's a sonofabitch!![apparently he depped for Jaco in the early 80's]..Not forgetting McCartney- the best "all rounder" of all time?

Just a few i thought i should mention , i dont know the names of all these players

Paul McCartney (his basslines are like songs within songs, he has a tone to die for)
Duran Durans Bassplayer (listen to rio you'll understand)
the Bassplayer from the Smiths
The Bassplayer from the Killers
Sting (specifically the stuff he did with the Police)
The Bassplayer from the Eagles (simple but effective and an awesome tone too)