Why become a member? ×

Does a musician's death move you?

essexbasscat

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='705483' date='Jan 8 2010, 02:05 PM']I'm quite a philosophical person I suppose and I tend to take deaths like this in the same way. The big names like Elvis, Lennon even Michael Jackson although all sad meant very little to me personally. But I suppose I've been more affected by people whose music has made a difference to me. Certainly Joe Strummer was a shock because I had never seen him live - and always intended to of course. As someone else said, I am in the happy position of most of my musical idols still being with us.[/quote]

+1

Lee Brilleaux and Curt Cobain dieD within days of each other, and whilst I admire them both, Cobain's death seemed inevitable and therefore nothing like as sad as Brilleaux's. Still feel quite sad when I watch the Feelgood's rendition of Roxette on OGWT.

C

[quote name='Earbrass' post='705404' date='Jan 8 2010, 12:59 PM']I think the only time I've felt emotionally upset at the death of someone I didn't know personally was when John Peel died...[/quote]
Yeah, me too. His death really hit me hard. I don't really know why it had such a profound effect on me. I never listened to his Radio 4 show and only rarely listened to his Radio 1 show.

[quote name='fatback' post='705561' date='Jan 8 2010, 03:02 PM']i'm afraid no death moves me if i don't know the person. lack of imagination? I don't know.

What i do know is that as you get older (lots of peeps say this) you have to admit to a small sense of relief that the person who's died isn't you.[/quote]

To a large extent I feel the same way. I find it hard to understand the huge outpouring of grief when 'celebrities' die. Musicians who you feel have influenced you, actors who acting has moved you - unless you know them personally I don't see how you can feel that upset.

Knowing someone, the real person, their humanity, their personality, how they have impinged upon your own life - that is what makes it sad for me when they die. To think that someone for whom you have meaningful feelings and emotions isn't there any more. And, especially as you get older, all the people who were part of your life when you grew up, people who formed the foundation of your existence. Suddenly they get old and die and you find yourself with all that historical reference and grounding missing. That's sad.

But people I don't know? Nah. I remember getting lynched, pretty nearly, for saying this on the everlasting Jade Goody thread but there are thousands of people all over the world dying each day that I do not know. You can't feel sorry about all that death - it is just an inevitable and unavoidable part of life.

[quote name='Paul S' post='705739' date='Jan 8 2010, 05:01 PM']To a large extent I feel the same way. I find it hard to understand the huge outpouring of grief when 'celebrities' die. Musicians who you feel have influenced you, actors who acting has moved you - unless you know them personally I don't see how you can feel that upset.

Knowing someone, the real person, their humanity, their personality, how they have impinged upon your own life - that is what makes it sad for me when they die. To think that someone for whom you have meaningful feelings and emotions isn't there any more. And, especially as you get older, all the people who were part of your life when you grew up, people who formed the foundation of your existence. Suddenly they get old and die and you find yourself with all that historical reference and grounding missing. That's sad.

But people I don't know? Nah. I remember getting lynched, pretty nearly, for saying this on the everlasting Jade Goody thread but there are thousands of people all over the world dying each day that I do not know. You can't feel sorry about all that death - it is just an inevitable and unavoidable part of life.[/quote]

Fair points Paul, but I guess you've also made the opposite point, albeit inadvertently: "Musicians who you feel have influenced you, actors who acting has moved you " - that's kinda what it's all about isn't it? Perhaps the humanity and personality of these people does impinge on your own life for those very reasons, and that's why it's sad when they die? That's why I guess so many people were, to my mind, strangely moved by Jade Goody - she did after all influence and move a lot of folks.

C

Bon Scott.
There was no other band that could touch AC/DC for me and I remember watching them performing Touch Too Much on TOTP's about five weeks before he died. Read about it on 20th February 1980 on a tiny column on page five of the Sun.
Felt gutted because I thought they were going to take over the world, which of course they did with BJ. However, for me they lost a certain spark in their music and lyrical wit which they have never replaced.
When I move to Perth I'm taking a day out to Fremantle cemetary to pay my respects.

[quote name='Paul S' post='705739' date='Jan 8 2010, 05:01 PM']You can't feel sorry about all that death - it is just an inevitable and unavoidable part of life.[/quote]

As they say (and somebody's signature here on BC I think) Everybody dies, not everybody lives. At least those in the arts appeared to have "lived".

Esbjorn Svenssen - Swedish jazz pianist who drowned in a tragic accident two years ago - they had to choose between him or his ten year old son... so they saved his son. Met the guy a couple of times and he and his band EST changed jazz so much in the last ten years - his death also killed off the band... a double tragedy and one that definitely moved me.

[quote name='urb' post='705907' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:25 PM']Esbjorn Svenssen - Swedish jazz pianist who drowned in a tragic accident two years ago - they had to choose between him or his twne year old son... so they saved his son. Met the guy a couple of times and he and his band EST changed jazz so much in the last ten years - his death also killed off the band... a double tragedy and one that definitely moved me.[/quote]

that's pretty darn moving

Phil Lynott's death affected me a lot as did Freddie's.

It's not so much that they are dead, it's also so about all the music that was lost with them. Ya know, new tunes.

I always get a bit annoyed if it's drug related though. Someone somewhere that knew them could have done something to help them,maybe.
I always tend to think that the silly buggers brought their early demise on themselves.

[quote name='Johngh' post='706051' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:26 PM']Phil Lynott's death affected me a lot as did Freddie's.

It's not so much that they are dead, it's also so about all the music that was lost with them. Ya know, new tunes.

I always get a bit annoyed if it's drug related though. Someone somewhere that knew them could have done something to help them,maybe.
I always tend to think that the silly buggers brought their early demise on themselves.[/quote]

That's what got to me. The loss of what they could have done, the music that was lost with them.

T

I felt very sad when Joe Strummer died, Johnny Cash' death also affected me a bit but was tempered by the thought that he really missed June and maybe he would rather not be around without her.

Others who's death pissed me off are Townes Van Zandt, John Lennon, Malcolm Owen of the Ruts ( I believe that he would have become a very talented and respected songwriter had he not got involved with smack). I will probably cry like a baby when Levon Helm goes.

Well,Elvis was a household name when I was growing up ,and I was a young kid when he died.
He was a great loss to the world ,and it's good that he's remembered. Tho', I'm still trying to get
my head round Chinese Elvis, Elvis in Tesco's etc.
Wasn't much of a Doors fan, but I think Jim Morrisson was a genius ,tho' losing the plot abit near the end.

Lucky to have seen Bon Scott and AC/DC on the Highway to hell tour (my 1st 'proper' concert :) ) A legend imho

Met Bob Calvert ,,and it was sad about him.
Same with Cliff Burton.
Then you hear of people like Robbin crosby/Layne Stayley ,who lived the dream but the drugs got them .

As for John Lennon ,despite being one of the most talented songwriers ever I'm gonna be unpopular here with my views on him.
Sorry, but I found him to be too opinionated,too political and I hate that Christmas song ..and Imagine!
He died on my birthday . I feel more sorrow for Diamond Darrel of Pantera,who also died on my birthday.(Got shot too actually)

As for the future, when Lemmy passes that that will be truly sad. One of the most larger than life characters ever.
Bono? A day of celebration .

Cue:angry response :rolleyes:

[quote name='thebeat' post='706057' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:38 PM']I felt very sad when Joe Strummer died, Johnny Cash' death also affected me a bit but was tempered by the thought that he really missed June and maybe he would rather not be around without her.

Others who's death pissed me off are Townes Van Zandt, John Lennon, Malcolm Owen of the Ruts ( I believe that he would have become a very talented and respected songwriter had he not got involved with smack). I will probably cry like a baby when Levon Helm goes.[/quote]

Forgot about Johnny cash. Legend

[quote name='flyfisher' post='706061' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:41 PM']Watching the DVD of "Concert For George" can make my eyes a little watery.

Who was it who said The Beatles were dying in the wrong order?[/quote]

I'd imagine it's probably not McCartney or Starr saying it :)

+1 to Dimebag Darrell - he was awesome.

I was very drunk at Download festival the year it happened. Most bands were putting a shout out to Dimebag in some way.
So into the comedy tent I go and tell some tasteless sex joke, get a giggle.
The guy who went after me said the following:
"What's metal and full of holes?
Dimebag Darrell"

The whole tent literally went quiet as a church. I thought the dude was going to get lynched right then and there.

It's always very sad to hear that someone who means something to you dies, but there was only one that really shocked me to the core. I was helping to run a youth camp many years ago, someone was reading a paper and mentioned that Eric Clapton had narrowly missed death by not getting on a flight, I casually took the paper to have a look and just went white as a ghost to see that my favourite guitarist, Stevie Ray Vaughan had actually died in the crash. I just had to get away from people, so I wandered off by myself for a couple of hours just trying to get my head around it. I couldn't play any of his records for a year after that. He had so much more great music and inspired playing in him.