Why become a member? ×

Anyone on here done it?

leschirons

[quote name='Doddy' post='703635' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:02 AM']Guilty.
I did it a few times with my Fender Jazz a few years ago.

I don't do it anymore. :)[/quote]

Don't say it like you're embarrassed. I bet it went down a storm. Out here in France it would probably be seen as the coolest thing ever as they're about 20 years behind. I was sort of hoping for a few tips as to what type of strap you had and method to avoid ruining a bass or burning my neck. I have a wireless system which I imagine I'd need.

[quote name='Johngh' post='703642' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:13 AM']There was a youtube thing on here the other week where a bass player tried it at a gig and the bass flew off and crashed onto the floor. It was hilarious. I can't find it though.[/quote]

I don't want to hear that. I'm gonna go for this. At 58 years old (soon) I need to get some stage antics back in the rock band set. It's either this, or learing to Moonwalk and we don't do Billy Jean.

Yes, indeedy! Ancient git here would like to give it a try, but I'm a bit puzzled as to how to go about it. Is there any way to practice the manoeuvre?

Do you have to start small and work up, maybe hang a medium-sized banana round your neck on a bit of string?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='703652' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:20 AM']I assume we mean like as in this rather understated performance. Ahem!

[/quote]

Yup, just like that but I seem to remember Vai doing it the other way round ie, headstock first. Still any way works for me. Thanks for the link.

I think I need a light bass or a cheap guitar to practice with.

I've also seen the two guitarists out of Poison do a crossing in mid-air swap. That's cool too. I'll have a word with our guitarist, Butter-fingers du bois.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='703745' date='Jan 7 2010, 01:50 AM']Yes, indeedy! Ancient git here would like to give it a try, but I'm a bit puzzled as to how to go about it. Is there any way to practice the manoeuvre?

Do you have to start small and work up, maybe hang a medium-sized banana round your neck on a bit of string?[/quote]

I'm going to start by putting strap-locks on the OLP today. Hoping I don't have to dig out a satin shirt with a big sticky-up collar. That may be counter-productive.

I went to see lostprophets one year (2002, i was young) and one of the guitarists tried to do this, smacked himself right on the back of the head when the guitar didn't swing round properly, threw his guitar down on the stage and stormed off in the huff. It was f***ing amazing. The singer picked up the guitar and pretended to play, by the looks of it he obviously had no idea. It was a good moment.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='703837' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:34 AM']and this from the guy who thinks words for rhythms is childish. LMAO :rolleyes:[/quote]
:)

In all fairness,it was during a rock gig,where the posing was as important
as the playing.

.....Then I grew up :lol:

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='jakesbass' post='704200' date='Jan 7 2010, 03:16 PM']I've got no room to talk:
[attachment=39598:cs2.jpg]
I'll do just about anything if the pay is right[/quote]

That is about one of the coolest pics I've ever seen. I assume it was taken just before the start of the Cradle of filth medley?

[quote name='Johngh' post='703642' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:13 PM']There was a youtube thing on here the other week where a bass player tried it at a gig and the bass flew off and crashed onto the floor. It was hilarious. I can't find it though.[/quote]

This one??

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixA8cA_fVJc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixA8cA_fVJc[/url]

[quote name='joerattray' post='703963' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:35 AM']I went to see lostprophets one year (2002, i was young) and one of the guitarists tried to do this, smacked himself right on the back of the head when the guitar didn't swing round properly, threw his guitar down on the stage and stormed off in the huff. It was f***ing amazing. The singer picked up the guitar and pretended to play, by the looks of it he obviously had no idea. It was a good moment.[/quote]

My lost prophets gig experience was similar. At the last song of the night, the singer dived into the crowd, and someone nicked his shoes (bear in mind it was in Norwich! :rolleyes:) so he got back on stage, said "You don't nick people's shoes! (isn't it)" in a heavy welsh accent then stormed off and played no encores. Pansies. :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='703869' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:03 AM']Never done it, never likely to do it.

Pulling handbrake turns in the snow though - that's a distinct possibility.[/quote]

My mate at work did that day before yesterday in his classic sporty thingy. Oh dear. Offside wing like an accordion. :)

fatback