Why become a member? ×

1971 Fender Jazz Bass for sale : SOLD !

paulie

I am selling my 1971 Fender Jazz Bass to make way for my new 64 Jazz.

Apart from a little fretwork the bass is 100% original, pots and serial number date the bass to 71, pots, wiring, pickups, hardware, finish is all original.
The bass still has its original pickup covers, with foam mute pad intact! on the bridge cover.

Custom Candy Apple Red metallic finish, rosewood board with block markers.

The bass is extremely light for a 70's model (at a little over 8lbs)

Condition wise there is belt buckle wear, some minor nicks and marks but overall the base is in very good condition for its age.

It sounds fantastic and the neck is lovely and straight, nice low action and no buzz.

This is a really nice example of an early 70's model as many others suffered from poor quality control but not this one, no gap between the pickups and the body route, no huge neck pocket etc.

The bass doesnt have its original hsc but will come with a proper fender jazz hardcase.

Price is £2900

Standard colour models go for this price but the bonus of this is the rare Red finish and the light weight of the bass

Cheers

[attachment=39484:Jazz_Bass_004.jpg]
[attachment=39485:Jazz_Bass_006.jpg]
[attachment=39499:Jazz_Bass_003.jpg]

Edited by paulie

That is a lovely bass and if I had the cash I would be sending you a PM now!

I am no Fender expert but I thought that all early 70's jazzes had 3 bolts for the neck - I am obviously wrong???

Mark

[quote name='paulie' post='703013' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:06 PM']I am selling my 1971 Fender Jazz Bass to make way for my new 64 Jazz.

Apart from a little fretwork the bass is 100% original, pots and serial number date the bass to 71, pots, wiring, pickups, hardware, finish is all original.
The bass still has its original pickup covers, with foam mute pad intact! on the bridge cover.

Custom Candy Apple Red metallic finish, rosewood board with block markers.

The bass is extremely light for a 70's model (at a little over 8lbs)

Condition wise there is belt buckle wear, some minor nicks and marks but overall the base is in very good condition for its age.

It sounds fantastic and the neck is lovely and straight, nice low action and no buzz.

This is a really nice example of an early 70's model as many others suffered from poor quality control but not this one, no gap between the pickups and the body route, no huge neck pocket etc.

The bass doesnt have its original hsc but will come with a proper fender jazz hardcase.

Price is £2900

Standard colour models go for this price but the bonus of this is the rare Red finish and the light weight of the bass

Cheers

[attachment=39484:Jazz_Bass_004.jpg]
[attachment=39485:Jazz_Bass_006.jpg]
[attachment=39499:Jazz_Bass_003.jpg][/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='703112' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:06 PM']I am no Fender expert but I thought that all early 70's jazzes had 3 bolts for the neck - I am obviously wrong???[/quote]
As I understand it, the three bolt necks came in around 1975/76 which is among the reasons (weight as well) why early 70s Jazzes are more highly sought after (and of course valued)

Edited by Clarky

Ah OK.

Sorry to hijack the thread but which 70's jazz basses are least sought after and why?

[quote name='Clarky' post='703117' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:09 PM']As I understand it, the three bolt necks came in around 1975/76 which is among the reasons (weight as well) why early 70s Jazzes are more highly sought after (and of course valued)[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='703119' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:13 PM']Ah OK.

Sorry to hijack the thread but which 70's jazz basses are least sought after and why?[/quote]
Mid/late 70s Jazzes are less sought than early 70s due to 3-bolt neck (less popular), often heavier, Fender QC (allegedly dropped in late 70s), and ugly plastic control knobs. Thats my understanding but I am happy to be corrected. Take a look at the prices of 70s Jazzes on eBay from the Italian seller (bambibau) and early 70s Jazzes are in region of £3000 while late 70s Jazzes are roughly £2000.

Also apologies to OP - nice bass and good luck with the sale!

[quote name='Clarky' post='703125' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:20 PM']Mid/late 70s Jazzes are less sought than early 70s due to 3-bolt neck (less popular), often heavier, Fender QC (allegedly dropped in late 70s), and ugly plastic control knobs. Thats my understanding but I am happy to be corrected.[/quote]

+1 to all of that. The worst Jazz I've ever played was a late 70s one which Electro Music in Doncaster had in. Weighed a ton, and sounded awful (apologies to anyone on here who might have bought it!).

Edit - to apologise to the OP! This one looks a cracker, and at 8lbs is really light for a 70s Jazz. Add the custom colour and I'd say this is a good price for a very collectible Jazz.

Edited by simon1964

What a shame it's a 71

If it had been a 1970 (year I was born) it woild have made a fantastic 40th Birthday pressie

........ and that is the best reason I can come up with not to buy it !!!!!

GAS GAS GAS !!!!

Having said that...... it's possible most of the wood work was done in 1970 :rolleyes: :)

Thanks for the link to bambibau I have not seen him before on Ebay and he has some lovely basses - jazzes just seem to go for a hell of a lot of money.

Again apologies for the hijack and hope you get the sale.

[quote name='Clarky' post='703125' date='Jan 6 2010, 05:20 PM']Mid/late 70s Jazzes are less sought than early 70s due to 3-bolt neck (less popular), often heavier, Fender QC (allegedly dropped in late 70s), and ugly plastic control knobs. Thats my understanding but I am happy to be corrected. Take a look at the prices of 70s Jazzes on eBay from the Italian seller (bambibau) and early 70s Jazzes are in region of £3000 while late 70s Jazzes are roughly £2000.

Also apologies to OP - nice bass and good luck with the sale![/quote]

Crikey, what's my 66' Candy Apple Red bass in un-touched condition worth?

I have to say I paid very little more for it a few years ago than this one...

Lovely bass, and CARs are the most desirable. They made very very few in the later 60s and 70s - all special order.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='703597' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:37 PM']Crikey, what's my 66' Candy Apple Red bass in un-touched condition worth?

I have to say I paid very little more for it a few years ago than this one...

Lovely bass, and CARs are the most desirable. They made very very few in the later 60s and 70s - all special order.[/quote]

Your 66 is probably worth close on 5k to be honest. I saw an olympic white one sell for 4.5k in the Gallery a couple of years ago!

All desirable vintage Fenders just keep increasing in value as the nice ones are so hard to find.

[quote name='paulie' post='704596' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:57 PM']Your 66 is probably worth close on 5k to be honest. I saw an olympic white one sell for 4.5k in the Gallery a couple of years ago!

All desirable vintage Fenders just keep increasing in value as the nice ones are so hard to find.[/quote]

Maybe I should get her a stand and stop storing her under my bed like I do at the moment!

Lovely bass BTW, good luck with the sale my friend, red is certainly the best colour for a bass.