Why become a member? ×

How Cool Is A Gretsch Bass?

merello

The bass player with Paolo Nutini (Michael McDaid) uses a white semi (White Falcon?) , saw him on Jools. (also here - [url="http://www.life.com/image/93237588"]http://www.life.com/image/93237588[/url] )

A rathre strange choice in my mind, but nonetheless, very cool indeed, although I'd have to worry about what sound they (semi basses) make, rather dull I would expect, although McDaid makes it sound brilliant to me.

Singer in my lad's band - The Fiftyfours - often uses an Electromatic
[url="http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=416742115&albumID=1417586&imageID=19612713"]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...mageID=19612713[/url] .

Great image etc but, to be honest, not the best sounding guitar although a good foil for his mate who mostly uses a tele.

As a rockabilly nut, I have to say the Gretsch guitar is a fantastic looking and amazing sounding instrument.
The TV Jones pickups are amazing!
The Setzer, The Chet Atkins, The Electromatic,even the Duo-Jet-all seriously great guitars!
Bass-wise, they haven´t built a decent one in forever. They all LOOK amazing, but they ALL SOUND weak and flabby.
The only one with a bit of kick to it is the budget one they had out, the Junior Jet or whatever it was called. It was a shortscale thing with one pickup and came in a weird grey/greenburst colour. That was a pretty decent one. May still buy one, though probably won´t :)
If I was to buy a Gretsch-type bass, my money would be on either the Eastwood Classic 4 (in white, obviously) or a Dean Stylist (Cabbie version)
They are the best hollowbody copies around and let yellowish/clear (whatever you´ve had to drink will affect this) liquid fall from a great height on top of any bass Gretsch has made soundwise in my experience.
Still, on looks alone, gimme a Gretsch any day!

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='rasher80' post='701652' date='Jan 5 2010, 02:48 PM']Scott Morriss from The Bluetones plays a Gretsch Broadkaster i think.

Think it's got a nice meaty tone IMHO[/quote]

i thought that was a drum kit?

Looks like a nice bass anyway. The question of how cool it is? Well that's all in the eye of he who plays the thing but i think it's pretty cool yeah, especially if you turn up to a metal band night and all the other bass players have ibanez and mad 6 string beasties and you just come up there with your gretsch and blow them all away with your awesome bass skills :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='705690' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:32 PM']I spent half of yesterday evening googling Gretsch basses and they seem rarer than hens teeth! I'm genuinely surprised so many of you have played one as I've never got to try one and it's not for lack of trying.[/quote]

True, you don´t see many about, but they are there.
The first one I tried was at a jazz/blues gig in Cork in 07. Some American guy had one and didn´t use it once during his set-he stayed with his EUB. I got to mess with it for about 20 mins with a mate on drums between sets.
A local cover bands´ bass player has a white falcon bass he bought in Germany. Got to use it and his (awful) Ric when I dep´d for them for 4 gigs last summer.
I played the shortscale one when they were around first-my local guitar shop had two (of all the luck)

But honestly, you are right, I´ve only seen one or two in a few shops n the last few years. Nowhere near as common as Gibson basses and over here there´s only really one store (two shops in Dublin) that sells those.

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='705766' date='Jan 8 2010, 05:17 PM']I played one of those (although not the Cabbie finish) and thought the sound was very poor. I've since been led to believe thay have six-string guitar pickups.[/quote]

Really? That´s strange.
The two I´ve played (one cabbie, one seafoam green) sounded great.
Both were run through an Ampeg SVT 200T and 4x10HLF. Both sounded exactly the same, though the green one had a bit more Hum with the tone on full whack.
Perhaps anything sounds good with that Ampeg! :)
I really want the cabbie bass though!
Didn´t know they were guitar pickups.
Interesting.

[quote name='basshead56' post='705772' date='Jan 8 2010, 05:23 PM']Really? That´s strange.
The two I´ve played (one cabbie, one seafoam green) sounded great.
Both were run through an Ampeg SVT 200T and 4x10HLF. Both sounded exactly the same, though the green one had a bit more Hum with the tone on full whack.
Perhaps anything sounds good with that Ampeg! :)
I really want the cabbie bass though!
Didn´t know they were guitar pickups.
Interesting.[/quote]
Maybe I was playing a duff one - it was sunburst. I love the seafoam finish. I recall reading at another bass chat place (maybe TB) about someone who had replaced the pickups with TV Jones bass pickups and another who replaced them with some custom made jobs. IIRC, both said that the stock pickups were guitar pickups.

And an interesting review here at BC saying something similar: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1308"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1308[/url]

I'd still really like one in seafoam with TV Jones Thundertrons like this:

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='705878' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:02 PM']Maybe I was playing a duff one - it was sunburst. I love the seafoam finish. I recall reading at another bass chat place (maybe TB) about someone who had replaced the pickups with TV Jones bass pickups and another who replaced them with some custom made jobs. IIRC, both said that the stock pickups were guitar pickups.

And an interesting review here at BC saying something similar: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1308"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1308[/url]

I'd still really like one in seafoam with TV Jones Thundertrons like this:
[/quote]

Had a similar idea re pickups and the dean, though mine would be the cabbie! :rolleyes:

Thanks Dave,
And Happy Belated Birthday! :)

[quote name='bobpalt' post='701865' date='Jan 5 2010, 04:54 PM']I bought this bass from Russ, and was so excited when I got it. It looked brilliant (I had owned a Broadkaster earlier and was unbelievably disappointed with the tone it didnt have, so assumed this must be a shed load better), and when I got it home it played a dream. It was superbly made, and I couldnt wait to try it at band practice. Oh dear, what a massive let down. After all the hype I had read about TV Jones pickups and the "thunderous" tone this bass was supposed to have, it was awful. The only way I could get any life at all into the tone was to hammer the strings with a pick, which isnt how I play. I nearly cried.

It lived in its case under the bed for a while, and every so often I would take it out, admire it, play it, go through the whole huge disappointment thing then put it away again. I sold it in the end to a chap who loves it (I can only guess he doesnt play in a band like mine), and thats a happy ending, but what do Gretsch think making instruments as beautiful as this (and my Broadkaster was super cool as well) that sound like cardboard cut-outs? Its really beyond me.

I know exactly what Russ means, and totally agree with him.

Bob[/quote]

I presume this is the one i originally owned? you'll know if it was cos i put a thumb rest on it and it should still have the holes, if so i agree with most of what your saying...great looking bass but a f***er to play, partly because of the short scale but i was also underwhelmed by the TV Jones pups and like you, really had to hammer the strings to get a decent sound.

[quote name='thebeat' post='707601' date='Jan 10 2010, 01:02 PM']I presume this is the one i originally owned? you'll know if it was cos i put a thumb rest on it and it should still have the holes, if so i agree with most of what your saying...great looking bass but a f***er to play, partly because of the short scale but i was also underwhelmed by the TV Jones pups and like you, really had to hammer the strings to get a decent sound.[/quote]

Thats the one! I put black rubber plugs in the screw holes left by the rest.....................

I guess I quite enjoy short scales, having owned a Birdsong for a few years (a superb bass, despite its slightly odd looks), and thats why I enjoyed the physical side of the playing experience, but thats where the enjoyment ended. I just couldnt get any kind of a sound I liked out of it, and I have to say, apart from The Broadkaster I had a few years ago, which was very similar, that has never happened to me with any other bass (and I've owned about 200). Obviously, me and Gretsches were just not meant to be.

Bob

As Bachman Turner Overdrive said... you ain't seen NOTHING yet.

Check this bad boy out - the Normandy archtop bass.

Yes... that's Aluminium - chromed. Handmade in Oregen in the US, I'm lucky enough to own the guitar version in a different finish (a one off unpolished copper relic version) Craftmanship is second to none on them, really beautiful instruments!

[quote name='noirpunk' post='708312' date='Jan 10 2010, 10:44 PM']As Bachman Turner Overdrive said... you ain't seen NOTHING yet.

Check this bad boy out - the Normandy archtop bass.

Yes... that's Aluminium - chromed. Handmade in Oregen in the US, I'm lucky enough to own the guitar version in a different finish (a one off unpolished copper relic version) Craftmanship is second to none on them, really beautiful instruments![/quote]
Woof! Woof! Beautiful!

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='711166' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:20 PM']Yeah it's alright, obviously takes a lot of getting use to but the Bass VI isn't really designed to just be a bass so it's good your hitting other strings, just play everything with a 5th added :)[/quote]

Cool, I want something I can play bass on, but then add some nice chords underneath the guitar. Seems ideal.