Why become a member? ×

78 P bass. This can't be kosher can it?

Marky L

I can't believe the seller is as naive as they make out. Do you think this is dodgy?

78 P in Oly White.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-MADE-USA_W0QQitemZ330387494622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4ceca116de"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-FENDER-PRECISIO...=item4ceca116de[/url]

Well if anyone is near Willsden Green it's got to be worth pushing them for a view of it.

I can't see anyone putting a 78 P on ebay starting at around £150.00 unless they had no idea about the bass. I am certainly aware of starting stuff low to get lots of bidders in, I do that with stuff I sell, but something like that I would certainly have a higher starting price.

And why no strings? I guess that's not going to be good for the neck in the long run.

[quote name='Marky L' post='689431' date='Dec 19 2009, 11:07 PM']I can't see anyone putting a 78 P on ebay starting at around £150.00 unless they had no idea about the bass. I am certainly aware of starting stuff low to get lots of bidders in, I do that with stuff I sell, but something like that I would certainly have a higher starting price.

And why no strings? I guess that's not going to be good for the neck in the long run.[/quote]

I'd do 99p, no reserve - regardless of how "valuable" the item might be. The possibility (no matter how improbable) of getting a ridiculous bargain is Ebay's biggest carrot.

Jon.

You could say no strings attached :)

I don't suppose for one minute this is going to stay around the £360 mark. I had a friend who found somebody with an Antiqua 70s Fender bass in immaculate condition. Not everybody plays and sometimes older basses show up. I'd lean towards this being genuine but certainly in need of a service

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='689623' date='Dec 20 2009, 11:32 AM']You could say no strings attached :)

I don't suppose for one minute this is going to stay around the £360 mark. I had a friend who found somebody with an Antiqua 70s Fender bass in immaculate condition. Not everybody plays and sometimes older basses show up. I'd lean towards this being genuine but certainly in need of a service[/quote]

I chucked £750 at it but didn't win, lol.

I reckoned it would kick around just over £1,000 after some work (depending on whether the pickup is original or not - owner said half of it was new & half original?).

[quote name='molan' post='691948' date='Dec 22 2009, 11:21 PM']I chucked £750 at it but didn't win, lol.

I reckoned it would kick around just over £1,000 after some work (depending on whether the pickup is original or not - owner said half of it was new & half original?).[/quote]

I won it at £771 will be interesting to see how it turns out.....

[quote name='Platypus' post='691983' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:21 AM']I won it at £771 will be interesting to see how it turns out.....[/quote]

Nice one :)

I got a batch of additional pics from the seller and it looked nice.

I was only ever looking at it as an investment though (I generally find late '70's P's too heavy and/or chunky in neck profile).

I actually thought £800 was a 'safe' investment price as I was budgeting maybe £200 to be sure of getting it up and running properly. However it may literally be a case of fitting some strings and you're away :rolleyes:

[quote name='Platypus' post='691983' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:21 AM']I won it at £771 will be interesting to see how it turns out.....[/quote]

Nice one :)

I was only ever looking at it as an investment though (I generally find late '70's P's too heavy and/or chunky in neck profile).

I actually thought £800 was a 'safe' investment price as I was budgeting maybe £200 to be sure of getting it up and running properly. However it may literally be a case of fitting some strings and you're away :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, please let us know how it turns out, very interested. Hope you have got yourself a good bass there :)

[quote name='Marky L' post='692109' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:45 AM']Oh yeah, please let us know how it turns out, very interested. Hope you have got yourself a good bass there :)[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on that p bass.

I just arrived home with it - paid cash on collection as the seller was only about 5 miles from me. Looks good the Olympic White looks just that in reality, in the eBay photo its kinda looks more brillant white. Generally in good condition with a few dings, as you youw expect on a soon to be 32 year old.

Don't really know much about old p basses and will no doupt be seeking advice from the Fender heads of Basschat. OK, time to stick a few strings on that mofo....

I make that two basses you missed out on in 24 hours, Barrie :)

[quote name='molan' post='692053' date='Dec 23 2009, 08:29 AM']Nice one :rolleyes:

I actually thought £800 was a 'safe' investment price as I was budgeting maybe £200 to be sure of getting it up and running properly. However it may literally be a case of fitting some strings and you're away :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='Platypus' post='692610' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:37 PM']I make that two basses you missed out on in 24 hours, Barrie :)[/quote]

Hey Paul,

I'm always bidding on stuff - I'm pretty good at setting my max price these days & not getting carried away with last minute bidding, lol.

You must let us know how you get on with it :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='692651' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:51 PM']Hey Paul,

I'm always bidding on stuff - I'm pretty good at setting my max price these days & not getting carried away with last minute bidding, lol.

You must let us know how you get on with it :)[/quote]

I was thinking of the AC on Talkbass as the other one that got away, shame it couldn't be shipped - they don't come around very often.

Will post again once I've had a bit of time with the p bass. Perfect timing really, everybody in the house will toys to play with on Christmas day!

[quote name='Platypus' post='692658' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:57 PM']I was thinking of the AC on Talkbass as the other one that got away, shame it couldn't be shipped - they don't come around very often.

Will post again once I've had a bit of time with the p bass. Perfect timing really, everybody in the house will toys to play with on Christmas day![/quote]

I had an offer more or less accepted on that one but it was dependent on the local US buyer falling through - unfortunately he confirmed :)

I'm vaguely close to no less than 2 other fairly high end US basses as well at the moment!

If they come off then watch out for a few of my current 'stock' coming up for sale soon, lol.

Looks as though you got a steal there,be good to see how it pans out.
I'm in Harrow myself,do you ever go to The Half Moon South Harrow.Good music pub.

[quote name='tarcher' post='692665' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:03 PM']Looks as though you got a steal there,be good to see how it pans out.
I'm in Harrow myself,do you ever go to The Half Moon South Harrow.Good music pub.[/quote]

Will do
Haven't been down the Half Moon for a fair while - must get over there and see whats happening soon

[quote name='molan' post='692662' date='Dec 23 2009, 11:01 PM']I'm vaguely close to no less than 2 other fairly high end US basses as well at the moment!

If they come off then watch out for a few of my current 'stock' coming up for sale soon, lol.[/quote]

I hope you're going to buy some more 4 string stock Barrie... all this 5 string malarkey is no good for me mate! :)