Why become a member? ×

Purple Chili cabs

WonderHorse

Once I've saved up I'm looking to get a compact speaker to take to smaller gigs and practice.

Until today I was dead set on the Barefaced Compact because it's fairy cheap and they get a really good write up on here.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has Purple Chili PBC112 or PBC115 and could tell me how they are?

That review in BGM seemed a little unfair to me. I got the impression it was criticising the cab for not feeling rock solid because it was so lightweight - "never might the quality feel the width" almost. They didn't compare it to any other equivalent cabs, and almost seemed to expect it to break the laws of physics - "if you're expecting big cab performance from a small cab, you'll be disappointed" - but did go on to say it was good for those looking for a light and portable cab for smaller gigs. I must admit I'm considering a pair of these for flexibility of running either one ot two together for bigger gigs.

I should say that I do have a slight interest here - I know Mike (head honcho at Purple Chili), and know how much care and attention to detail he puts into building his cabs - and how well put together they are - so the comments about them not being rock solid really does seem unjustified.

the cabs are very good. They are an upgrade of the ZOOT cabs which the same magazine gave great reviews. I've got a 410 and a 115 on the way. they are very solid, and look quite chunky too but still very light weight. I think it's a bit unfair judging a 112 thinking its going to have the performance of a 810. i also use aguilar gs112's for rehearsals but I would never expect them to sound anything like a bigger cab. they are what they are...a 112.

if you want something a bit different then definitly give them a look. The same goes for Barefaced I love the sound of alex's 115 compact cab! loads of low end sub which I love, would like to see some different finish options though as I'm not a fan of the black rough finish.

Gotta say that after reading the 'review' in BGM this month reminded me exactly why I don't buy this so called magazine. I don't know who Ben Cooper is but the review that was given was absolutely the worst type of dribble I've ever read. He had not given any info as to how the cab was used, what bass, amp etc.... and gave the most luke warm overview of a high quality bass cab I've ever read. Having tried out all the variants of the Purple Chili cabs I must say that I do not believe for one moment that this reviewer even had the cab in his possession when reviewing. I'll be taking stock of some of these cabs over the Aguilar set-up I currently have in the near future and will post a review at that time

Edited by crez5150

Hi Wonderhorse

I'm in the very same dilemma as you.
Looking at (possibly) replacing my Schroeder 410L cab with a lighter weight I was looking at the Barefaced Compact. However the Purple Chilli cabs looks amazing, although I've never heard one.

Weight-wise the "Compact" seems superb, 12Kg compared to 18Kg for the 15" Chilli cab. However, finish wise the Purple Chilli looks streets ahead of the Barefaced cabs. Anyone got any pics of a vintage-styled Compact?

So, as Harry Hill would say.... what's better "Barefaced Compact or Purple Chilli" ....

I have two Purple Chili 112's and have just returned from a rehearsal where I've put them through their paces together for the first time. I've had them for only a couple of weeks so I too should declare an interest in that I obviously [i]want [/i]them to sound good! I'm glad to see that others have had problems with the BGM review too, as I made the same point in another thread that to criticize a lightweight cab for not feeling robust is to criticize it for being lightweight pretty much! The way I'd look at it is to say that Mike had met his design brief admirably - and then some! The cabinet material though is thicker than the Compact and, of the two cabs, the PC [i]looks[/i] sturdier to me. I think it's something to do with the thickness of the cabinet material and its squat and sqaure-ish dimensions.

And lightweight they most certainly are - 28lbs, 12.7kg, noticeably lighter than the Barefaced Compact I had too. I used mine with my Roscoe LG3000 through a Shuttle 3.0 today, though I'm changing to a TC RH450 soon and hope that's going to be the rig I stay with for some time. I've used a single cab for a rehearsal with my second band in a smaller rehearsal room a couple of days ago and it was plenty loud enough. Today's rehearsal was in a lecture theatre at work, a much bigger space with a high roof. I thought my bass sound was great today and sat really nicely in the mix too. I think the Purple Chilis have more weight in the bass than the Compact I had, and it's solid too, not wooly. I don't know where the BGM reviewer got 'muffled' from - I didn't hear that at all. But as a previous poster has pointed out, the reviewer made no reference to the bass, amp or strings he used, how he played it or in what circumstances - gig, rehearsal, his bedroom. Twiddle enough knobs on your bass or amp and most of us could get 'muffled' out of any cab out there.

I remember making a comment to Alex about the Compact, that there was a distinct change of tone the further you got away from it, compared to standing right in front of it (no great surprise as we were rehearsing in an old gymnasium at the time!). The same could be said of the PC's - as it could of pretty much all cabs out there, especially in venues with higher ceilings too. But today, even standing a good few feet away from my rig the tone was nice and clean and full. I think the fundamental sound of the cab is more 'old school' than, say, either the Barefaced or something like an Aguilar GS112 (both of which I've used), and they can do growly too, with some judicious EQ twiddling. For me, they are (for the time being!), the ideal set up - light as hell but also punchy and bassy enough to get by with one for rehearsals and smaller gigs, adding the second where you need a bit more volume. With a lightweight amp and my Roscoe slung over my shoulder it's one trip from the car to the rehearsal room - fantastic!

They're not a one cab solution (for all but the smallest/quietest of gigs anyway) but, there again, they don't claim to be. I think a Barefaced Compact might go louder but I don't think they've got as much bass extension myself. Some may disagree. And even the Compact isn't a comprehensive one cab solution as a few users are adding second cabs so they can handle larger gigs. The same applies to the Aggies - one's great on its own for small/medum-sized gigs but you'll definitely need a second in larger venues. So what the PC's are is a realistic alternative to some established players. And, what's more, they look better and they're more portable. If you are in the market for a small, lightweight cab, I definitely recommend you consider them. If anyone wants to pop over to try mine you're welcome to PM me.

Mark

Edited by Bass Culture

Wow! Thanks Mark, that's a pretty detailed review. So have you done away with the Compact for the PC's then?
I'm presuming a 4 ohm PC 212T would be more than adequate as a one cab solution, and save me 5kg on the Schroeder 410L that I have at the moment?

Edited by largo

[quote name='largo' post='682458' date='Dec 12 2009, 07:13 PM']Wow! Thanks Mark, that's a pretty detailed review. So have you done away with the Compact for the PC's then?
I'm presuming a 4 ohm PC 212T would be more than adequate as a one cab solution, and save me 5kg on the Schroeder 410L that I have at the moment?[/quote]

Yes, I've changed the Compact for the two PC's and am really happy with this set up. I know Mike did extensive listening tests before he decided on the Celestion green label drivers rather than the oranges and all I can say is - they work for me! I think Mike's cabs are significantly lighter than anythng else out there, excepting maybe Alex's midget. I would imagine though, judging by considerably smaller cabinet proportions of the midget, it has a completely different sound to the PC cabs.

To put it into perspective I bought my two PC cabs for a bit more than one Bergantino AE112 and I've got a rig that will cover me for all the gigs I'm likely to be playing for the foreseeable future. And I prefer the sound to the Bergs too! So, all I'm saying is that - as with any other cab out there - although they may not be to everyones taste (I thought the Berg's too clinical, for example, but my 'clinical might be other peoples' 'neutral') they've got to be worth an audition! I don't think they are sonically neutral, but for me that's fine - I don't chase tonal neutrality and don't see it as the Holy Grail myself; I like stuff to have character. I don't care if the sound is neutral or not, all I care is whether I like it! :)

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='683068' date='Dec 13 2009, 03:30 PM']I don't chase tonal neutrality and don't see it as the Holy Grail myself; I like stuff to have character. I don't care if the sound is neutral or not, all I care is whether I like it! :)[/quote]

That's the most sensible thing I have read on this forum with regards to cabs for ages - it's the sum of the products that make great tone.

Edited by EBS_freak

Like RichardH I was a bit confused with the report. I have a pair of the original Zoot 112's, (and recently added a Zoot 115 Compact), which I believe were the first ones Mike built. Amazingly light, one in each hand setting up, job done. I love them and I know how much care and atttention Mike puts into his products. I saw the PC Cabs when I picked the Compact up and they are fabulous.
At the end of the day if it looks right and sounds right, it's right. I have been completely GAS free regarding my Amp set-up for 2 years now and the biggest complement I got was from the Guitarist of the Rock Band I played in who said the Zoot's were "awesome". Not often guitarists hand out compliments.....

I bought BGM yesterday to read the review.
I'm not a regular reader of BGM, I occasionally buy it when I'm in Smiths. But half the time it doesn't even cross my mind, probably 'cos it's sh*t.

I'd gone through the entire mag in less than 20 minutes and I was trying to make it alst 'cos I was on a train.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

The Compact is now out of the equation and I'm now looking at a Double Midget and either a PCB112NT or PCB212NT. Not sure which, any thoughts?

[quote name='largo' post='682458' date='Dec 12 2009, 07:13 PM']Wow! Thanks Mark, that's a pretty detailed review. So have you done away with the Compact for the PC's then?
I'm presuming a 4 ohm PC 212T would be more than adequate as a one cab solution, and save me 5kg on the Schroeder 410L that I have at the moment?[/quote]

I was reading this thread knowing that Mark had just acquired two of these very handsome cabs (pun intended) thinking that I should point him to it when I found that he'd already given quite an extensive review.

I was the person who gratefully relieved him of his Compact and I'm more than happy that now I have two they could probably handle any of my gigging situations. :)

I have to say when advertising pays a big chunk of the upkeep of most of these publications these days, that they dare give a lukewarm or bad review of any gear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='684165' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:49 PM']I think I will end up waiting for a Double Midget. But I'd like to hear a Purple Chili when a couple of the guys on here get one.[/quote]

I picked my 1 x 15 and 2 x 12 up at the weekend....

just gotta wait for a week or so to try them out at a gig

:)